flat view sanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat view sanity

It seems like there's zero way to know in linear view who is replying to whom. Is there a config or a hack to include some sort of "in reply to" info in each post in linear view? Without this feedback, the thread is essentially a guestbook (unless users are slick enough to shift in and out to threaded view...and not many ARE that slick). And my community creates big tangly digressive threads, so this is a problem.

What's worse, a tech-savvy friend just tested VB and found hybrid view confusing. If she's confused, our newbie-heavy community will be on the ropes (I don't find it confusing at all, but, again, she's an online vet).

So I'm kind of at a loss. I can default everyone to threaded view for sanity sake, but they're all going to want to reset their prefs to linear view ASAP. And then I fear chaos....and, alas, hybrid doesnt' seem the answer.

That is where the [x] Quote message in reply? kicks in.
    This way you can see which reply is in reference to what comment.

Comment

Hmm (and thanks, Floris).....that requires poster A to be conscientious so that posters B through Gazillion benefit. You can't count on that, nor do you necessarily want every single poster quoting back and filling up your drive, slowing download time, and otherwise gumming up the works. We can do better than a Usenet model with modern software, no?

I was hoping there might be a pre-made VB solution for this. Ubbthreads and other packages do have ways to convey this info in linear/flat view. All it takes is, at very least, an "In reply to" statement (at best, a clickable anchor tag taking you to parent). Has anyone crafted a hack for this?

Comment

It has never been a problem for me, as novice or experienced forum user.

Nor do I know many competition software that updates the title of a post with the Re: (title, user, date, time).

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
          It has never been a problem for me, as novice or experienced forum user..
          Yeah, I understood that quite clearly from your first post. But different forums have different personalities (i.e. more or less digression, more or less traffic, more or less tech-savvy users with an innate sense of threading plus meticulousness in not over or under quoting, etc). And different people have different tolerance to seeing 45 postings flat in a row without the foggiest idea who's talking to whom (e.g. if poster #45 replies to posting #2 without quoting).

You seem to be at one end of the spectrum. I'm at the other end. And, thing is, I thought we were talking about me here.

Nor do I know many competition software that updates the title of a post with the Re: (title, user, date, time)
          I just named one (ubbthreads), and I've seen more (not updated in the title, BTW....just mentioned within the posting). But anyway, it's not productive to debate with you the sillyness of what I believe (after 15 years of sysop work) I need. I'm trying to decide if I can adjust VB to work for me, and am less keen on adjusting me to work with VB. So, back to my question: is there any way to hack this? Any preexisting add-ons?

Comment

I believe there is a hack at vB.org for this.

Comment

Originally posted by squall14716
              I believe there is a hack at vB.org for this.
              thanks,squall14716. can you or anyone else remember its name?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X