A few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions

Hi. I've been evaluating vBulletin for possible purchase, by reading this forum and receiving the email digests, etc. I have a few questions.

1. About the thread display above the message. I frequently see a note in the thread tree window that says I have to click to see more. And when I do this I loose my context. I found a message here that says it can be expanded to 40 lines before it does this, and maybe that would help. What I don't know is what happens when threads get very deep. Does the display add a scroll bar for scrolling right and left?

2. I've used software where I can drag the thread tree window as large or as small as I want. Is there a user control that can be turned on to allow the user to size the thread window?

3. In threaded mode, I cannot find the button for posting a reply. Only a quote. In hybrid mode, there is only a reply button at the bottom. Is that just the way it works. Is there something I need to understand about how this affects threading? For example, a quote replies to a message, but a reply goes to the root message? Or is this just a design anomaly?

BTW, I think the Prev/Next click spots in threaded mode are very helpful. Another nice feature would be a click spot to jump to and/or see the parent of a message. This would be especially useful with replies that are far from the parent message.

1. Yes it will eventually scroll left ro gith.
    2. There isn't an ability to drag the thread tree window since this isn't really something thats possible in HTML even with JavaScript, but rather client side software.
    3. Its designed that way since most people using threaded mode do so to reply to the intial message and are most likely wanting to Quote. The hybrid mode replies to the parent post of the branch.

I'll take note of the suggestion for a quick scroll to the root post.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

>1. Yes it will eventually scroll left ro gith.

Do you or anyone else know where I could see this, and possibly the larger limit. I want to show it to the other members of our online community.

>2. There isn't an ability to drag.. but rather client side software.

Come to think of it, it was a Java board, and that's what probably allowed it. I just thought that with frames, this could be done without Java.

Hmmm. Maybe this could be done the same way as your editor window, where you have two sizes to pick from.

>3. Its designed that way since most people using threaded mode do so to reply to the initial message and are most likely wanting to Quote. The hybrid mode replies to the parent post of the branch.

Makes sense.

>I'll take note of the suggestion for a quick scroll to the root post.

Thanks.

Comment

Yeah it could be made possible using a link to increase the size of the box. Its not actually a frame but a regular area with the overflow css set to auto so it doesn't increase size.

I'll look on some of the larger boards to see if I can find one that has reached this maximum size.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X