Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adguru
    replied
    Another question im hoping you can answer is if there is any forms one must sign in order to legally sell something on a forum (membership,advertisement,etc...) and if so what?
    The legal forms that you will need to fill in will not be with vB but with your payment processor , adbroker and other third parties.

And on average given I really have zero experience in codes and such about how long (per hour) would it take me to learn and really get going building a nice forum?
    See, if you are thinking on technical terms then the only time that you will need to spend is the time installing this software [ It took just 5 minutes for me!!! ] but if you are talking about making a success then it takes a lot of time. Once you start with your vB then you may find this article helpful -
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/turn-lurkers-posters

Sorry for all the questions, I am really interested yet confused at the same time.
    Don't worry. People in here don't bite like they do at other communities . Ask any quesiton and we all are right here to help you with it , no matter how dumb is it!

Leave a comment:

• NYU02
    replied
    Thanks, I understand its not really your field. Another question im hoping you can answer is if there is any forms one must sign in order to legally sell something on a forum (membership,advertisement,etc...) and if so what?

And on average given I really have zero experience in codes and such about how long (per hour) would it take me to learn and really get going building a nice forum?

Sorry for all the questions, I am really interested yet confused at the same time.

Thanks again,
    NYU02

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by NYU02
    Thank you for all your input, so it is basically a program of pre-set setups that i just chose from or is everything code? If i am new to all language, about how long is the learning curve before I can really get the ball rolling?

Also, if I want to build a forum and have advertisements, about how much revenue do you expect to gain per register member? (Example: If I have 10,000 members the average revenue would be $---- and if u have 25,000 members, the average revenue would be $----) I guess what I am trying to figure out is if I ask for the advertisement once and if my forum gets big, what kind of revenue from advertisements would I expect?

Thank you once again for your time and insight.

NYU02
    I can't give comments on advertisement renevue.

If your web site isn't indexed properly by google and yahoo and internet directory and such, or your members have no interest in paying for services on the forum or clicking banners, you will make $0 per month and $1 per year. If your site is a great success and members click your banners on a daily basis and make purchases once a month, you can make thousends.

This all depends on your success, and hasn't got much to do with vBulletin
    These numbers vary per web site ofcourse.

Leave a comment:

• NYU02
    replied
    Thanks for all the info, does any know on the adverstisement question I posted earlier?

Thanks

NYU02

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Install a proper file manager on the web server that will leave the formatting of the text in place, doesn't line wrap and doens't convert line breaks. Either that, or through ftp, or perfectly > telnet/ssh into the web server and use vi or pico -w to modify the files through shell access

Leave a comment:

• Woodley
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    If you can use an ftp program and edit a few simple text files youn can manage to run vBulletin.

Woodley have you tried filezilla?
    Heh, no, I just can't install an FTP such as SmartFTP, etc. at the moment due to the computer I am on

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by NYU02
    Hi all,
    I am very interested in vBulletin and I want to start a board, I understand how to get one up but is creating one very confusing? Do you need to understand computer language to create a forum? I looked at the demo admin breifly (i was at work so i couldnt really test it out) but it seemed like i needed to know a computer language because I saw other posts asking how to do stuff and being told to fix the language. Sorry if I am way off I am really new to this. I thank everyone greatly for their time and information.

NYU02
    Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software.

It is always very handy to have a little bit of HTML and PHP knowledge, but it is not required. We have build vBulletin in order to make it available for hobby and commercial, from novice to experienced.

If you have a web site account with a hosting company, and their web servers work with PHP and they provide you with 1 MySQL database then you can run vBulletin.

It is a matter of downloading it from our members area after you have made the purchase. Unpacking the .zip file on your harddrive. Then you have to edit the config.php file to insert the MySQL database details. This comes with comments and examples, so it is quite easy to understand, and otherwise we will help you through our support system. (These MySQL database details are provided to you by your hosting company where you have your web site). Then you upload the unpacked files to your web server like any other web site would be uploaded, by using an FTP client.

And finally you just point your browser to the install.php file which will install vBulletin for you. (All you have to do is click on the [next] button when the page is done loading)

Summery: Download, unpack, edit config.php, upload, run install.php and you are done!

It may sound complicated, but that is always the case when things are new. But you don't have to modify any source code in .php or create any HTML code or anything like that.

Leave a comment:

• NYU02
    replied
    Thank you for all your input, so it is basically a program of pre-set setups that i just chose from or is everything code? If i am new to all language, about how long is the learning curve before I can really get the ball rolling?

Also, if I want to build a forum and have advertisements, about how much revenue do you expect to gain per register member? (Example: If I have 10,000 members the average revenue would be $---- and if u have 25,000 members, the average revenue would be $----) I guess what I am trying to figure out is if I ask for the advertisement once and if my forum gets big, what kind of revenue from advertisements would I expect?

Thank you once again for your time and insight.

NYU02

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    If you can use an ftp program and edit a few simple text files youn can manage to run vBulletin.

Woodley have you tried filezilla?

Leave a comment:

• Woodley
    replied
    No, not really, follow the userguide and you've got it.

I can't upload my files simply because I don't have (and prob. never will have) an uploader program.

But, it may help to know HTML is some situations.

Leave a comment:

• NYU02
    started a topic Pre-Sale Question - Very new

Pre-Sale Question - Very new

Hi all,
    I am very interested in vBulletin and I want to start a board, I understand how to get one up but is creating one very confusing? Do you need to understand computer language to create a forum? I looked at the demo admin breifly (i was at work so i couldnt really test it out) but it seemed like i needed to know a computer language because I saw other posts asking how to do stuff and being told to fix the language. Sorry if I am way off I am really new to this. I thank everyone greatly for their time and information.

NYU02
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X