Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions re integration with existing stuff

Some questions about integrating vBulletin with existing systems/software:

- My site has an existing method to allow users to sign on to access other functionality. Would it be possible to have vBulletin integrate with that sign-on, or would my users have to sign on separately to boards?

- My site has some existing boards that we are looking to set up a new interface for. I'm guessing from the documentation that the preferred approach would be to migrate them to vBulletin. Is that correct? Is there any way to set up an interface layer to allow vBulletin to access those boards in their current native format?

- When I buy vBulletin, do I get the PHP source? Can I do feature addition/maintenance myself, or am I dependent on the vBulletin team? (I may be betraying my ignorance of PHP here...)

- I saw the stuff about scalability, and it looks good. Do you know what the largest site, in terms of users, posts, forums, etc, using vBulletin is?

Thanks,
    Joe Dzikiewicz

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software.

For details about (reported) large sites, you can check out the following URLs:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47430
    and
    http://www.big-boards.com/statistics/ (and http://www.big-boards.com/index.php?type=vBulletin)

When you purchase vBulletin, you will get the .php source code and all the other files. vBulletin is a 'visible source' product, which means that you have access to the PHP source code of the product. You are free to modify the product in any way, provided you retain the vBulletin/Jelsoft copyright notices. For information about vBulletin code "hacking", please visit our official sister site, vbulletin.org. Please note that we are unable to support any installations of vBulletin that have had the source code modified. For more information about the licensing implications of code modification, please review our license agreement. Also note that you don't have to modify the source code if you want to change the fonts, colors layout or design used. Everything (nearly everything) is possible through modifying the style options and templates, and by going through the permissions and vbulletin options (which are reachable through a browser to a private area of the forum software (admin control panel)). You can request to play with vbulletin as an administrator if you want by going to this URL; You will get 24 hours to play with a live vBulletin forum with access as full administrator: http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

- My site has some existing boards that we are looking to set up a new interface for. I'm guessing from the documentation that the preferred approach would be to migrate them to vBulletin. Is that correct? Is there any way to set up an interface layer to allow vBulletin to access those boards in their current native format?
    I don't quite understand that question. You can modify the templates and styles to match your old design, you can set a style on a per forum basis and allow users to switch between styles.

In regards to your first question. Your license allows you to run 1 instance of vBulletin on your web site(s). If you want to run more forums, you have to purchase a license for each individual instance. Each instance allows you to make categories and forums and subforums, etc.

If you have more forums and you want your users to register there and also automaticly be registered on the other forums, you are required to modify the code of those forums to match the setup of vBulletin. Source code hacking like this isn't supported by us here on vBulletin.com, but is on vBulletin.org where other members share their resources like these.
    Last edited by Floris; Fri 13 Aug '04, 9:48pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
      I don't quite understand that question. You can modify the templates and styles to match your old design, you can set a style on a per forum basis and allow users to switch between styles.
      Let me explain a bit better. We have some existing boards with an existing interface. In an ideal world, we would still support that existing interface, but make those boards also accessible via vBulletin. The question is whether this is possible/easy - whether we would be able to easily build some sort of gateway from the existing boards backend to the vBulletin front-end, or whether we'd have to migrate our boards to the vBulletin database and schema.

In regards to your first question. Your license allows you to run 1 instance of vBulletin on your web site(s). If you want to run more forums, you have to purchase a license for each individual instance. Each instance allows you to make categories and forums and subforums, etc.
      Again, let me try to re-explain.

We run a site that supports multiple applications. We are considering adding vBulletin boards as one of these apps. We've already got a sign-on method that supports the existing applications. Is there a way to use our existing sign-on method for vBulletin, or would users who have already logged into our site have to log into vBulletin separately.

(And I suppose I realize that with access to source code, anything is possible. I'm trying to figure out what would be reasonably easy.)

Thanks much for the answers,
      Joe

Comment

At this moment we do not have an API that allows you to quickly integrate multiple applications into vBulletin. You have to manualy modify the source code of those third party software to work with vBulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by jdzik
          Let me explain a bit better. We have some existing boards with an existing interface. In an ideal world, we would still support that existing interface, but make those boards also accessible via vBulletin. The question is whether this is possible/easy - whether we would be able to easily build some sort of gateway from the existing boards backend to the vBulletin front-end, or whether we'd have to migrate our boards to the vBulletin database and schema.
          You have existing forum data.

vBulletin is an excellent forum.

Because the look-and-feel of vBulletin is COMPLETELY customizable through template (HTML) and CSS editing, and you can have different user-selectable styles for any forum, why not...

1. Buy vBulletin 3.
          2. On a test forum, create a Style that looks like your current "old" forum.
          3. Import all the data from your old forum to vB3.
          4. Set the default Style to the style you created.

If you get the Style close enough, users probably won't even know that you have switched to a completely different piece of software!

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
            1. Buy vBulletin 3.
            2. On a test forum, create a Style that looks like your current "old" forum.
            3. Import all the data from your old forum to vB3.
            4. Set the default Style to the style you created.
            Unfortunately, that approach only works if the old interface is HTML-based. That isn't the case with all of the interfaces that we support. (There is life beyond HTML, you know! And with the growth of Flash, there are even new forms of non-HTML life growing out there.)

Part of our goal with vBulletin is to provide a good HTML interface to existing forums that have non-HTML interfaces. Thus, finding a way to integrate with a different backend is of great interest.

Joe

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X