Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to create registration questions with drop-down menus that update....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to create registration questions with drop-down menus that update....

HI again. I hope I don't get in too much trouble for asking each of my questions in a new thread. It might help other folks that have similiar questions.

I can't recall what this process is called at the moment. But is there a way to create registration questions with drop-down menus that update the next items in the subsequent drop-down?

For example, in the registration I want the first drop down to have the items: Dog, Cat, Bird

Then when the person registering chooses 'dog', for example, the next drop-down menu will update to include the following items: Poodle, Rottweiler, Schnauzer, ...

Then from then the next drop-down would update to be: AGE: 1-3 years, 4-6 years, 7-9 years,...

The reason I want to do this is so that members can search for other members that have: Dog, Poodle, AGE 4-6 years

If there would be an easier way for me to achieve this with vBulletin please let me know.

I am just trying to figure out if this board will do the things I would like. I do know it is my favorite board to post on when I come across a site that is using it.

While you can create custom profile fields, you cannot create ones that update based on previous answers at this time. This could possibly done with some custom javascript in your templates though.

You can create custom fields in the Admin Control Panel under "user profile fields".
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

When you say, "templates" are you speaking of the Registration or the User Profile Templates?
      Last edited by rnmcd; Tue 10 Aug '04, 9:44am.

Comment

To do this, you would need to use javascript to refresh the page. If you refresh the page, then the other fields may accidentially be emptied! Maybe it's possible to inject different menu items into the secondary popup without refreshing?

Suffice it to say you will be a javascript guru after you write this page.

Comment

this feature is very important to me. my board users will want to be able to search for each other using specific multiple criteria. Do you happen to know of how I could achieve this? Are there any work arounds available besides javascript?

Comment

What does that have to do with registering?

If you want visitors to be able to search for other users, then modify the Members list page.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
              What does that have to do with registering?

If you want visitors to be able to search for other users, then modify the Members list page.
              I want members to be able to seach for other members based up the values of the dynamic drop-down fields that are in the registration page.

Comment

This still has nothing to do with registering.

You are welcome to modify vB code however you see fit (with a few limits) but it sounds to me like what you describe could be handled by modifying the Member List code to allow searches by member's profile fields.

You should take this to vBulletin.org.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
                  This still has nothing to do with registering.

You are welcome to modify vB code however you see fit (with a few limits) but it sounds to me like what you describe could be handled by modifying the Member List code to allow searches by member's profile fields.

You should take this to vBulletin.org.
                  I have searched vBulletin.org but I couldn't find anything.

The reason it needs to be done during registration is that I want the member profile field (for example, 'favorite tv show') to be required to be answered. If I leave it up to the member to update their profile field I don't think they will all do it.

With vBulletin the member's profile fields are already searchable via the Member List.

Comment

You can set different fields to be mandatory. SO you can already make "favorite tv show" a required feild for them to fill out.
                    V1 Bad Bunny Emoticons > (For Dark BGs)
                    Squarehead V1 Emoticons -
                    Let Users select postbit style!

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Bunny
                      You can set different fields to be mandatory. SO you can already make "favorite tv show" a required feild for them to fill out.
                      That part I am familiar with. But I am actually trying to make the person registering use a dynamic drop-down menu to choose the value (the name of the tv show). I realize I could list all the tv shows in a gigantic Multiple Selection Menu but I would rather have a menu that narrow the choices down from, lets say, TV versus Movies-----if the person choses TV the next set of values could be something like "titles A-J" and then all the tv shows with titles A-J would display and the person registering could choose from those.

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X