Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KimmiKat
    replied
    Also if you buy multiple owned or leased licenses, you get a quantity discount. If you get 12 licenses, the owned would be $124US each instead of $160. Each leased license would be $67US instead of $85.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    1) How often does VB do upgrades?
    2) Will all mods need to be readded?

- For unhacked forums - its just a matter of uploading some files

- For hacked forums, vbulletin notes which files were changed. If you use a file comparision (I found a few free ones on sourceforge.net) you can finish it in a matter of minutes, literally.

Theres a tutorial for upgrading hacked vb's on vbulletin.org too so you can see what the best practices out there are

I also have a LOT of hacks on my site.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    1. When its called for (security issue) or there is a new one out, there are no specific set times.
    2. Depending, our only supported way of upgrading is uploading all new files, and running upgrade.php which would remove any file changes you had made.

However if you have the ability you could use file comparision software and do the changes between files. Of course you still need to run upgrade.php

Leave a comment:

• Nodaker
    replied
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm currently running a dozen phpbb websites (be nice now ). The reason I'm over here is that I'm tired of all of the security problems with phpbb, and having to do 12 updates PLUS readding all of my mods is practically a full-time job now and it's holding back my site's potential.

I would like to move my 12 websites but I'm wondering if these same issues come up here? For each upgrade, do you have to readd every mod? (I'm assuming yes, that's why it's a mod and not standard)

The main reason I'm still with phpbb is that our site (modded) is a search engine machine. Every new thread is indexed in the major SERPS in as little as 72 hours in many cases. My competitors are all running VB (about 8 that I consider) and none, and I mean none, are ever in the SERPS (I'm mostly considering individual topics, not the forum index).

I've only been around this forum for a couple hours, doing a lot of searches and it looks like VB catching up to the SEO potential of phpbb is still into the future (which appears to be one of the only thing VB is behind on phpbb, too bad it's the most critical to user's like myself).

So a couple questions I guess:

1) How often does VB do upgrades?

2) Will all mods need to be readded?

Thanks from a lurker.

Leave a comment:

• Forum-Style
    replied
    I agree with most of the comments here, we have used phpbb, and the new version is looking good, but compaired to vB its still has a way to go, not just free sites like phpbb and ikon, but even IPB has alot to catch up on to be in the same domain as vB.

You do get a branded name with vB, people know its the best out there and in todays world,(as sad as it is) people do rather post and join in on a branded forum, i guess i can see why, its the forums buggy and lack of features why bother to join in, vB is safe, more than any other system, and that helps also i find.

Leave a comment:

• Beaker
    replied
    vB is more secure, better featured and there are far more usable hacks available. Also they are invariably better documented. I've moved over from IPB a couple of weeks back.

After some initial complaints from some users who didn't liek change everynoe seems to be fairly happy. THe portal installation worked flawlessly, most of the cock-ups have been on my part purely because i'm not used to working vB yet.

PhPBB is also not massively sucure, just as Metallica and they will tell you that. *chuckles*

Leave a comment:

• Seraphis-XII
    replied
    VBulletin not only has many uncomparable features, but as you said people will recongize it. If your using VBulletin people will often take you more seriously since they know you have invested some cash, or view you as being a more professional firm.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    LOL - I was thinking about this this morning and its like saying the price of a Lexus is all because of the name and then deciding on a Kia because its cheaper. There's a world of difference in the craftsmanship of the two.

Leave a comment:

• Unmutual
    replied
    There really is no comparison whatsoever between phpBB and vB.....other than the fact that they're both bulletin board software.
    I don't mean any disrespect to phpBB cos I admire what they're doing, and it is free. But they're worlds apart.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    That is from a hack that someone installed. This is not a standard part of vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• alexy
    replied
    admin pls explain to me. i dont know what HP,MP and EXP mean?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Lenni
    replied
    if you want to see all the features of vbulletin and compare them to phpbb, you can try the free admin demo with fully customizable admin settings.

Leave a comment:

• dcallan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan Klerks
    Wayne is right, considering the product and especially the support, the licence is far too cheap if you ask me.
    Don't say that them guys will higher it up Anyway thanks for the replies.
    Does it take long to customize?

Leave a comment:

• Jan Klerks
    replied
    Wayne is right, considering the product and especially the support, the licence is far too cheap if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• dcallan
    replied
    Thanks Wayne and nirvanilla for the replies. That response time is amazing earlier on I seen an average response time of 24 minutes, you have really good systems in place to work all of this out.

We have been given testimonial and anecdotal evidence that by switching to vBulletin from a free software package that our customers were able to increase their traffic, registrations and build their sites faster.
    VB has a lot more. and tho i had a grea forum with plenty of regular usuers, when is switched to VB, even the regulars started posting more-i noticed it and other members noticed it as well. and i got more signups believe its because VB is just generally more pleasing in every aspect
    This is want I'm wanting to hear yes, I have great content on my boards, but I think VB can give me that extra boost. I have asked a similiar question on a couple of board today, the response generally being that yes vb does encourage more activity. This is good news, because it ain't actually deer at all.

Glad to hear about adsense / and search engines as at the moment I have just added adsense to my ikonboard, the ads are only relavent sometimes but not all the time, and I need this avenue for revenue maximised as much as possible. I believe there is a hack for ssi export, but i can't view it yet until I get some sort of a license.

Nirvanilla was the difference in activity really noticable? Can I have the link to that thread your refer to, thanks. Anyone else testifiy to an increase in activity (posts, registrations etc) after switching to VB, really dying to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by dcallan; Tue 10 Aug '04, 12:40pm.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X