We want to use vBulletin but our IT guy's paranoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We want to use vBulletin but our IT guy's paranoid

Hi, the company I work for wants a forum on their website, and I've talked just about everybody into vBulletin because it's inexpensive, powerful, and very attractive. There's only one guy who's skeptical, and if I can convince him that this is the weapon of choice (he's considering getting a third party to manage the forums, to which I say--why?), that'll make my life easier.

First off, he seems exceptionally paranoid about Linux/Unix servers, so I linked him to MySQL's website along with php and Apache to show him that there are Windows versions of all the necessary software. When I was looking through the vBulletin documentation, though, I saw the technical appendixes were written with Linux (or Unix? I'm not too familiar with them) in mind. I was just wondering if a) it can be done on a Windows server and b) how configuration differs for this setup. Am I going to encounter any stumbling blocks with Windows?

If I can prove to him that it's simple to set it up on a Windows machine, that'll be half my battle won.

The other problem is, he seems to have bizarrely unrealistic time frames in mind for how long it will take to set up the forums. I'm not paraphrasing when I tell you he's worried about everything being up and running "in time for the Christmas holiday". How long does it really take to set up a dedicated vBulletin box? A week? A day? An afternoon? This guy has completely convinced himself that it will take "no less than six months" for the forums to be up and running. I wanted to tell him he was an idiot, but I wanted to make sure it was true first. So, how long would it take to set up with a mint, just-unwrapped PC and all the necessary programs?

If I could get these two issues (Windows compatibility and implementation) cleared up, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Chalkdust; Tue 3 Aug '04, 6:36pm. Reason: What if he's reading?

vBulletin will run on anything that runs php and mysql. Windows Linux Unix FreeBSD Mac, Solaris, Novell.

There are no windows compatibilty issues except with IIS and the Archive IIRC, which is not a major thing.

If you want to roll out vBulletin on a window 2000/2003 Box i would suggest apache2 with mysql 4. I am sure Scott (our Dev) would have abit more to add.

Scott setup my home box with apache 2, php, mysql in about an hour(including download times), after that i installed vBulletin in under 10 min

Comment

Shows what he knows!

I think the guy's deal is, he's never had to deal with any of this software before, so he considers becoming familiar with FOUR NEW THINGS OMG some monumental task unbefit the likes of mere mortals like me. Thanks for that initial reply, and I'm sure I'll get more info as the evening drives on.
      Last edited by Chalkdust; Tue 3 Aug '04, 6:37pm. Reason: ...

Comment

I started two years and some months ago now, not knowing anything about php, mysql, apache, anything really, i knew some basic html and beyond that, not much.

Look where i am now

Of course now, i know Cisco ISO, Novell Netware 5.5 and 6, Windows 2000/3 Server Administrator, XHTML, CSS, basic php and mysql, amoung other various things

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
          I started two years and some months ago now, not knowing anything about php, mysql, apache, anything really, i knew some basic html and beyond that, not much.

Look where i am now

Of course now, i know Cisco ISO, Novell Netware 5.5 and 6, Windows 2000/3 Server Administrator, XHTML, CSS, basic php and mysql, amoung other various things
          a vBulletin Geek LOL
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I was 14th in the Nation for Windows 2000 Network Adminstration ;D

My dad insists that i advertise that more.

Comment

Well, as "one of those IT guys", let's take something else into account - his "plate". Yes, we can get vB installed, configured, up and running in an afternoon, with plenty of time to spare.

But, like was mentioned above, he's going to be learning a new product that's running on a new platform. Any IT guy whos paycheck relies on him doing a good job isn't likely to just run the install script and walk away. He's going to "noodle" a bit.

But most importantly is the fact that it's unlikely he has absolutely NOTHING to do but wait for this product to show up on his desk. He's probably got a bunch of other tasks, projects, and ideas - all of which also have a timeline and people expecting it to be done yesterday. His plate is likely fairly full, and he's not going to drop everything just to do this. And that likely explains his timeline.

My .02, FWIW

Comment

Re: The guy

Originally posted by Pugzly
                Well, as "one of those IT guys", let's take something else into account - his "plate". Yes, we can get vB installed, configured, up and running in an afternoon, with plenty of time to spare.

But, like was mentioned above, he's going to be learning a new product that's running on a new platform. Any IT guy whos paycheck relies on him doing a good job isn't likely to just run the install script and walk away. He's going to "noodle" a bit.
                Well, one thing is, and I have to talk to our boss about this, I'm not entirely sure what his job is with the company. He sold us some bar code scanners and the software to run them, and he seems to be the guy we talk to when we need to know about the tech we're using. I don't know if he'd actually be in charge of anything operations-wise once the company's running. I do know that I'm going to be the head admin for the forums and, most likely by extension, the box it runs off of. So until I'm sure what his level of involvement is, I'm going to work off the assumption that I'll be taking care of things with a little help from my friends.

But most importantly is the fact that it's unlikely he has absolutely NOTHING to do but wait for this product to show up on his desk. He's probably got a bunch of other tasks, projects, and ideas - all of which also have a timeline and people expecting it to be done yesterday. His plate is likely fairly full, and he's not going to drop everything just to do this. And that likely explains his timeline.

My .02, FWIW
                I understand that part, but his forecasts just struck me as reactionary and doomsday-ish. I'm confident that I can learn the software and have the forums up and running "in time for Christmas", so I guess at this point I'm rambling to myself because I'm boggled by his fears.

Thanks again, everybody.

Comment

In this case, I don't think he would need to know every bit of the software, and he doesnt need to go it alone. This is where we come in, We (the vBulletin Team) have made great efforts to have the vBulletin 3 manual in detailing as much of the product as possible, we also have the community support forums, which are open to any question no matter how large or small, we will do our best to anwser it

Comment

That's why I picked you guys

Originally posted by Zachery
                    In this case, I don't think he would need to know every bit of the software, and he doesnt need to go it alone. This is where we come in, We (the vBulletin Team) have made great efforts to have the vBulletin 3 manual in detailing as much of the product as possible, we also have the community support forums, which are open to any question no matter how large or small, we will do our best to anwser it
                    Community-supported software is where it's at.

Comment

It dose not take long at all to set up the stock installation of vBulletin, about 5 minutes from upload to installed depending on your connection to the box . You will probbly want to customize your board to suit your site, time doing that can range by how far you want to take it.

Comment

Yeah, I've been playing around in the admin demo, getting a good idea of how to do what I want to. It'll be pretty straightforward once it's up and running. Lots of specific forums. I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X