VBulletin vs Invision Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPB is not FREE, it has a free TRIAL, which is now only good for one year

Alot of our members here have converted from one system or another, and i know there are some people here who are very baised, i try not to be, ^^;; But i think you will find that alot of people here do look at both sides of the argument and give the proper comments
    Last edited by Zachery; Sat 17 Jul '04, 4:25pm.

Comment

I totally agree (Coming from a vBulletin user), vBulletin does get their professional name because its a paid script, but if IPB became paid, that also could become great. I still think vBulletin gets the wow factor, and the speed is just great.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
        When did this happen?

Originally posted by Renshaw
        I totally agree (Coming from a vBulletin user), vBulletin does get their professional name because its a paid script, but if IPB became paid, that also could become great. I still think vBulletin gets the wow factor, and the speed is just great.
        IPB *IS* a paid script, there is a trial, but apparently, they just put a limit on how long you can run the trial.

Comment

Zen, we appreciate you coming to defend IPB. We try to maintain an objective standpoint and one that represents the general mindset of internet users. At the moment, it appears, since Jelsoft has been in operation slightly longer period of time, to have gained more respect by users than others and is just recognized as more professional.

There is no doubt IPB is professional product. It is happens to be a degree in professionalism. It is similar to lawyers. They may go to same schools. They may get the same grades, however if their behavior is different, where one gives total respect, while the other is just completely rude, well there's a degree in professionalism there as well.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Incendium
            When did this happen?

IPB *IS* a paid script, there is a trial, but apparently, they just put a limit on how long you can run the trial.
            within the last few months, actually, IPB is a free script, but support is pay for only, whereas vBulletin is a paid script and support comes free er at least it was, i havent read the license agreement in full as of late, just noted that change in the time restriction

Comment

Originally posted by Incendium
              When did this happen?
              At this rate it will be pay only in the future.

Comment

Phew! The same boat I was In a few days ago. Take my word just go with vB. Its a big image booster for your business.
                =)

Comment

Best thing to do is try both and use the one you like better plain and simple. No need for all of this fighting,lies etc....

Comment

within the last few months, actually, IPB is a free script, but support is pay for only, whereas vBulletin is a paid script and support comes free er at least it was, i havent read the license agreement in full as of late, just noted that change in the time restriction
                    Can you point me to somewhere on their website or the like that says this?
                    I read their license and all trial info pages and couldn't find it. It did mention that to use the software permanently a purchase of a license is required, but it didn't mention anything about what is considered less then permanent (say a 100 years?).

Comment

http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...owtopic=128594

and specifically

http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...c=128594&st=40#
                      =)

Comment

And I really hate their - We are Superior to vB in every way attitude! Their template took me ages to hack and I could not make it a beauty as a vB.
                        =)

Comment

Originally posted by okrogius
                          Can you point me to somewhere on their website or the like that says this?
                          I read their license and all trial info pages and couldn't find it. It did mention that to use the software permanently a purchase of a license is required, but it didn't mention anything about what is considered less then permanent (say a 100 years?).
                          No one really has any idea how long you can use it as far as I can tell. It seems to me that if you where to run a popular forum with the trail version they could make you pay for a license about any time they wanted to.

First of all the "vB is more professional" is a rather lame argument. This argument has been popped up countless times in the past when IPB was a completely free product, the reasoning behind it that a free product was for some reason more unprofessional and inferior to a purchased one apparently only because since you gave money for something it has to be better. Regardless, IPB is still free (minus direct support) if you want it that way, or you can purchase it and receive support and other goodies just like vB. So, well, the "professional" argument - using the same rationale as before - is no longer valid.
                          I belive this is still a vaild argument, just because both products are now 'paid scripts' dos'nt make ipb any more professional or vB less prodessional then they where before. I visit both sites daily and the support team here seems to be far more helpful, i've never seen anyone be told to search for a answer here, they are ethor givin a answer (even if the same question comes up daily) or they are linked to a thread posted in the past that contains the information they need.

In short, jelsoft's team dose a better job of interfacing with their customers IMHO, and that is why I see them as a more professional company

Comment

Plus, not only that but Jelsoft provides awesome features.
                            - Paid Subscriptions (make your own software - sell it on your site, the buyers see the support boards.
                            - Better User Group Management and Forum Control
                            - Easier Style Management
                            I know I am a mod/admin at a few vBulletin boards so I know I am not shooting my mouth off.

Comment

Alot of our members here have converted from one system or another, and i know there are some people here who are very baised, i try not to be, ^^;; But i think you will find that alot of people here do look at both sides of the argument and give the proper comments
                              No, the free Trial is permanent, there is no yearly limit. The only difference is that 1) you don't get direct support from Invision 2) it says "trial" in the copyright notice at the bottom of the board. No-where in the license agreement does it say you HAVE to buy it after a set of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                                Zen, we appreciate you coming to defend IPB. We try to maintain an objective standpoint and one that represents the general mindset of internet users. At the moment, it appears, since Jelsoft has been in operation slightly longer period of time, to have gained more respect by users than others and is just recognized as more professional.

There is no doubt IPB is professional product. It is happens to be a degree in professionalism. It is similar to lawyers. They may go to same schools. They may get the same grades, however if their behavior is different, where one gives total respect, while the other is just completely rude, well there's a degree in professionalism there as well.
                                I agree wholeheartedly that vB is a professional forum, not least based on its reputation since it's been here far longer than most others. IPB is a relatively newer product which in that time has become a very worthy competitor to vB, there is no doubt that they are the two best boards out there. It will obviously take more time for IPB to fully establish itself in the way vB has done, only time will tell how successful or not it will be but it is unfair to judge prematurely like some people have done around here. And it is equally unfair to judge merely on one's personal preferences, being used to IPB I can say that it is easier to skin, but only because I am far more knowledgable on the IPB templates, but as you can see this would be a very biased observation since the vB users can say the exact same thing.

Ultimately the fact that there are two professional boards out there is only good for the consumers. With IPB and vB competing amongst each other, both companies will feel far more induced to make their products better and better and considering the plethora of new features available in both vB3 and IPB2 what's only certain is the race has just begun. Kudos to both.

-MZ

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X