VBulletin vs Invision Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBulletin vs Invision Board

I have Invision Board (along with phpBB) available as the pre-installed BB scripts
    offered by my Linux based webhost.

However, I still want to use best BB since my site is commercial so i'm looking into purchasing a license for vBulletin.

My question is: Are there any features that VBulletin offers which make it stand out from the rest of the free boards out there today?

Thank you.

- Bright

Yes, many features:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62743

Also check out:
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...threadid=48536
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

Comment

vB is the Rolls Royce under the BB's
      KCi aka Rhyze

Comment

Originally posted by Bright
        I have Invision Board (along with phpBB) available as the pre-installed BB scripts
        offered by my Linux based webhost.

However, I still want to use best BB since my site is commercial so i'm looking into purchasing a license for vBulletin.

My question is: Are there any features that VBulletin offers which make it stand out from the rest of the free boards out there today?

Thank you.

- Bright
        Hi Bright,

In my opinion, when I see a board running vBulletin, I see professional. That was the #1 reason I bought it. The second reason was that for an active site, it has so many server resource friendly features that you can use to keep the server up if you have a lot of users (unlike phpBB or others).

If you use Invision's trial, you are lucky to get support from Matt and crew (as I have heard), and when 2.0 comes out you probably won't have barely any support from them for free, just that of other users. With vBulletin, the vB Team are more than happy to go out of their way to help you, even if it is a little problem, they don't tell you to search the forums or anything. I've had problems in the past that have simple solutions, but the vB Team were happy to help me to get it solved. And it was so.

Plus, IB has raised their prices from a year ago (I believe it was $50) now it's $65. I predict that the price will go up, past vBulletin's $85 per year leased license.

Your users will thank you for a professional, yet simple, yet feature filled board solution.

Good luck on choosing your BB software, and I hope you do choose vBulletin, as it is the best (in my opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Spock

Plus, IB has raised their prices from a year ago (I believe it was $50) now it's $65. I predict that the price will go up, past vBulletin's $85 per year leased license.
          This is precisely why I'm considering jumping the fence from a long time fan of IPB since the Ikonboard days. I tire of the changing of the licensing and pricing and would hate to have money spent [a contract] changed mid-stream becuase of a "change of direction".. moreover I'm tired of feeling like a second rate citizen and treated like trash since I wasn't a customer. Pre-sales questions are rarely answered timely [unlike here] and the forums Mod-zi's are overly lock happy on the most innocuous queries.

On the other hand the community here is prompt and helpful, but that should be no surprise since vB is in the business of developing communties

Comment

Some reasons I purchaced vb was because of support, ease of customization, and overall security. Also, when people see the vb copyright on the bottom of the forum, it tells that the site is professional

Comment

Originally posted by bfoot045
              Some reasons I purchaced vb was because of support, ease of customization, and overall security. Also, when people see the vb copyright on the bottom of the forum, it tells that the site is professional
              My thoughts exactly...if you are running a professional site then vB is the software for you! I wouldn't have it any other way, heck I am thinking of buying another one just for fun..I enjoy it so much...

Got a Boxer?
              BoxerTalk

Comment

i used to have invision in past.
                but i migreated to vb
                check my old posts. ^_^ you will know the reasons why i selected the best product
                that is vb

Regards,
                TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Originally posted by SaN-DeeP
                  i used to have invision in past.
                  but i migreated to vb
                  check my old posts. ^_^ you will know the reasons why i selected the best product
                  that is vb

Regards,
                  same.

I was fed up with the way Invision was treating us (I saw more forums (Resource Sites Network) than most). Their attitude was "Buy a license, or don't use our software". At least, with vB, you know what you are paying for. Professional, Simple, Easy, Clean. vB wins hands down.

Comment

http://www.big-boards.com/statistics/

Comment

Just goes to prove it

Comment

I am using Ikonboard right now and bought a vBulletin Licence unstead of buying IPB. Why did i do that? I compared postings and bugs between vB and IPB and i noticed, that here at vB (and vB-germany) we customers get the better help and the friendlier response. The board, the company, the supporters, all look more professionel then at IPB.

So i did not chose vB by comparing features, i chose vB because its community and support. vB is the most advanced software. It already have functions, other boards only dream about. But i dont need this functions. I had chose vB even with less functions. I chose vB because i want to be sure to get fast help when i have a problem.

hj

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty much sold on vBulletin as my choice. I noticed most of the boards I frequently visit are all VB powered so that makes my choice even clearer.

Also, I looked into Invision board and the support just isn't there. Anyone who runs a website and uses scripts knows that you need technical support because things do happen.

Thanks for the feed back.

-Bright

Comment

Good luck Bright! We wish you the best on your purchase
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

As an IPB user I have some things to say:

First of all the "vB is more professional" is a rather lame argument. This argument has been popped up countless times in the past when IPB was a completely free product, the reasoning behind it that a free product was for some reason more unprofessional and inferior to a purchased one apparently only because since you gave money for something it has to be better. Regardless, IPB is still free (minus direct support) if you want it that way, or you can purchase it and receive support and other goodies just like vB. So, well, the "professional" argument - using the same rationale as before - is no longer valid.

IPB 2.0 has narrowed the gap in features and functionality. I will not step up and say which of the two is better since there are features I like more in one that the other doesn't have, and vice versa. The decision on what board to use should ultimately be based on an unbiased comparison among all that each board has to offer. This can be done by installing the IPB 2.0 trial or by checking out the Admin demo for vBulletin.

Anyway, whatever your decision, a board is as professional as you want it to be. The final judges on how professional your site looks are the people who visit it, not the people here who swear by vB above anything, or people at IPB who'll swear the other way. With good work you can make either vB or IPB as professional as anything out there.

-MZ

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X