No announcement yet.

vB’s PayPal indignity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is getting out of hand... We are being chastised because we over more than half a dozen payment options with Paypal actually being the easiest and quickest method of payment. In fact the majority of our sales is through Paypal.

You can pay online with Paypal using a credit card or echeck. You can pay online using a credit card using Worldpay. You can pay offline using half a dozen methods. We try to cater to everyone's needs. We are sorry that your phone company will not let you call the U.K., that is not our fault. There is also a U.S. toll-free number provided at the end of the offline purchase process if you would read the resulting screen in order to circumvent that problem as well.

We actually go out of our way to make it easy for people to purchase the software with a payment method they choose.

If you missed the U.S. tollfree number for payments then you can see it here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...58&postcount=2
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

This is Re: the previous post, not Wayne's post

and before anyone else feels the need to jump in on sharing their opinions, please don't! I am posting here in the hope of solving a problem, NOT to elicit opinions or feelings.

Last edited by mwahl; Wed 7 Jul '04, 7:29am.

Comment

Wayne,
        no, I didn't miss that toll free US number. I called it to verify the UK number today. But the person made no mention of the fact that I would be able to purchase vB there, despite the fact that I told him of the difficulties I had with the UK line. I will give that number a try now.

Unless, of course, you have several different US toll free numbers for different purposes. If that is the case, then I may have missed THAT fact.

Comment

Maybe it might be helpful to clarify the toll free numbers. Where I work, our toll free numbers work in the US and Canada. We get Canadian callers on them all the time.
          Proud Admin of http://www.thrillnetwork.com/
          Finally live with vB4... I will say it's a pain in the bucket compared to what we're used to working with (using free CMS software no less).
          "If it doesn't fit, beat it with a hammer until it does"
          - Jesse James, West Coast Choppers

Comment

Wayne,
            you have posted, on the final sales confirmation page, a "vB-sales 1-877-326-6444" number, but on the above linked page the number "877-572-9616 (US)", which, BTW, I called and I was able to conclude the purchase (if nothing else goes wrong anymore).
            Well, I am sorry to have to say, those conflicting numbers would contribute greatly to causing confusions.
            I also noticed that the UK numbers posted on the two pages are different as well, on the above linked page, the final digit (4) appears to be missing (unless that is the way the phone system works in the UK). Maybe SOMEBODY needs to get a bit more organised here. This customers will appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by mwahl
              Unless, of course, you have several different US toll free numbers for different purposes. If that is the case, then I may have missed THAT fact.
              Actually we do...

The number printed on every page of the main website is for sales information and we can process a complete order but only with Worldpay's online credit card facilities.

The numbers for completing an offline sale are actually maintained by Worldpay who does the credit card processing for that as well and we have no access to process credit cards that way.

If you call the 1-877-326-6444 number, all we can do is give you the other number anyway. We cannot process the card. You see the problem is that getting an Actual Merchant Account for International Sales is really very difficult. You can't simply pay a $30.00 fee and accept international payments. The fact that we sell software (the highest fraud category in the world) makes it more difficult. We do however try and provide the best services that we can even if it does seem a little chaotic.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                We are sorry that your phone company will not let you call the U.K., that is not our fault.
                That is incorrect. I have no problem calling any normal UK phone number, only the 870 numbers are blocked. And I very much appreciate that they help me to not accidently call one of those extremely expensive lines. It's a service to me, their customer. I just didn't know that the 870 numbers in the UK are the equivalent to our 900 numbers.

If the correct US number would have been listed in the same area as the UK number (preferably next to it?), a major part of this thread may not have came into being and I could have spent the morning being productive.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenTN
                  Maybe it might be helpful to clarify the toll free numbers. Where I work, our toll free numbers work in the US and Canada. We get Canadian callers on them all the time.
                  I agree, listing them together and explaining their purpose may help eliminate a lot of confusion.

Comment

It would appear that I am in a majority re my paypal experience, at least in accordance with this web site: http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Comment

Majority? Nope, that site is a small minority of PayPal users. I've been with them for almost 5 years and never had a problem.

Using a credit card to buy vBulletin through PayPal doesn't subject you to any of the problems that most users are complaining about. (ie, blocking accounts for receiving fraudulent payments, pulling money from checking/savings accounts to repay fraudulent transactions, etc).

Like you were told, you can pay by CC through paypal, then cancel the paypal account that is created, and never use it again.
                      vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Thanks conqsoft. I did purchase vBulletin at the time (and I am rather happy with it), but I am now looking for a way to collect payment from my web site users. Thus, that web site will keep me from using paypal for now. HOWEVER - this discussion does not belong in this forum.

Comment

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]If there is no way around Paypal AND WorldPay, I may have to do without vBulletin or try to find something better elsewhere.
                          Nothing wrong with WorldPay. I have similar opinions about PayPal, and I had no problem going the WorldPay route.

Comment

Thanks conqsoft. I did purchase vBulletin at the time (and I am rather happy with it), but I am now looking for a way to collect payment from my web site users. Thus, that web site will keep me from using paypal for now. HOWEVER - this discussion does not belong in this forum.
                            Well, it supports Authorize.net, so you can just get a merchant account and go that route.
                            vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

It would appear that I am in a majority re my paypal experience, at least in accordance with this web site: http://www.paypalsucks.com/
                              So respectfully, don't use PayPal. Pay somehow else. There are millions of PayPal users who are happy with their service. I'm included in that group, and I have a Premier account which means I give PayPal a percentage of every payment I receive. However, the ability to accept credit cards is worth it.

If you don't want to use PayPal, just use another processor. PayPal's personal accounts don't have any fees at all for normal transactions from one PayPal account to another. Create a PayPal personal account, add funds, and transfer to Jelsoft. It doesn't cost you any extra.
                              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Over the past 3 years I have had over $75,000 pass through my PayPal account with no problems at all. I'm very happy with the service.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X