vB’s PayPal indignity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB’s PayPal indignity

I am ready to purchase vBulletin now. Unfortunately, on my way to the “pay by VISA” page I was confronted with what appears to be an attempt to force me to join PayPal, that half-assed outfit that loves to hit their users with “after the fact” extra charges of varying descriptions (which they can easily do, once I was stupid enough to give them my account number). Being a US based outfit, they especially appear to love to hit all those users stupid enough not to reside in the USA with a slue of trans-border and foreign-bank and foreign-account and this and that and whatever extra charges. NO thanks, not me, not again.

WHY ON EARTH does vBulletin want me to put up with PayPal, if the vast majority of small script vendors on the internet charging $ 20 to 50 manage to maintain a “pay by VISA direct” setup, that does not involve Paypal, but you with collecting a whopping $ 160 have to put me through the indignity of having to go through PayPal? And after my experience with PayPal a few years ago, I am not even going to try the other thing (WorldPay or whatever it’s called).

If there is no way around Paypal AND WorldPay, I may have to do without vBulletin or try to find something better elsewhere.

Why is the last paragraph font so small?

... You can always pay by check.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

We're a UK registered company not based in the US, so we're not out to get anyone who doesn't reside in the US.

Paypal or Worldpay is what we use. Paypal may create an account when you join but your free to delete this once payment is made.

Worldpay is a credit card processor based out of one of the largest banks in the UK and doesn't require any sort of membership.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
        We're a UK registered company not based in the US, so we're not out to get anyone who doesn't reside in the US.
        Are you speaking on behalf of PatPal or vBulletin? If the quote referes to vBulletin, then you didn't read or misunderstod my post. I was stateing that PayPal is a US based outfit, and that I will not put myself into another situation where they have a chance of ripping me off AGAIN. Burned once, shy......

Comment

Ah ok, I presumed your were saying that Jelsoft were US based and were using US firms in attempt to charge you more. My apologies as I misunderstood what you are saying.

Worldpay are pretty straight forward just a simple processor, they are run by the Bank of Scotland which is the largest bank in the UK. They are our main processor though they have been threatening Jelsoft with $50,000 fines due to our problems with fraud so we put paypal above the worldpay method to see if this would help.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I live in Australia, and use Paypal extensively. Their charges are miniscule for foreign transfers - for example, to withdraw money and transfer it directly from Paypal to my Aussie bank account, they only charge me $1 Aussie dollar for up to $3,000. I've never had a problem with Paypal. They are cheap, fast, secure, and reliable, and have always provided good support. Just sharing my experiences.

Comment

Thanks Erwin, your comment is appreciated. Maybe they did change lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                ... though they have been threatening Jelsoft with $50,000 fines due to our problems with fraud so we put paypal above the worldpay method to see if this would help.
                If a large bank has a security problem, then they should improve their security system instead of threatening their customers with court action. That doesn't appear to be a mature move for the largest bank in the UK. Not very inspiring.

What's wrong with the English banking system? I spent 6 months in Europe last winter and had no problem accessing my Canadian accounts throug local banks all over Europe. I wonder, if I would have gone to England, I possibly could have starved to death there with that type of banking system.

Why can't I just call you (tomorrow, during scottish business hours) and give my credit card number and download vB after you send me the confirmation by email? Need a phone number for that, though.

Is there an easier way if I send you the money from Germany?

Comment

Originally posted by mwahl
                  Thanks Erwin, your comment is appreciated. Maybe they did change lately.
                  Also, PayPal also no longer requires you to create an account. Merchants can choose to allow those who use them to just provide their CC info for a one-time thing. (If I remember, this new setting defaults to requiring an account, but that can be changed.) The thing with PayPal is that for the merchant, there is less risk if the buyer has a verified account, but they have added this option.
                  - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

You can do this via telephone. On the order payment page, go down (below WorldPay), and there are offline payment options.
                    - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

I tried again this morning, this time trying to use the option of phoning-in my credit card number (during Scottish business hours) to the phone number provided (+44-870-458-2564), only to find out that my Canadian telephone provider refuses to connect me to that number due to unreasonably high costs being charged by that UK phone company for their 870 numbers. It appears that those 870 numbers carry an extra high charge to them, similar to our 900 numbers here or the 190 numbers in central Europe.

What's going on in the UK that it is THAT difficult to buy something there? I am ready to give up on anything UK if they want to make that much of a fuzz over a simple software purchase. Smells like a political rat, being in the "national interests" of some national politicians.

Comment

If that 870 number leads to and is provided by your bank, you may want to consider changing to a better bank, if that is an option in the UK. They appear to be worse then the banks in Germany (although that is hard to believe).

Comment

I am ready to purchase vBulletin now. Unfortunately, on my way to the “pay by VISA” page I was confronted with what appears to be an attempt to force me to join PayPal, that half-assed outfit that loves to hit their users with “after the fact” extra charges of varying descriptions (which they can easily do, once I was stupid enough to give them my account number). Being a US based outfit, they especially appear to love to hit all those users stupid enough not to reside in the USA with a slue of trans-border and foreign-bank and foreign-account and this and that and whatever extra charges. NO thanks, not me, not again.

WHY ON EARTH does vBulletin want me to put up with PayPal, if the vast majority of small script vendors on the internet charging $ 20 to 50 manage to maintain a “pay by VISA direct” setup, that does not involve Paypal, but you with collecting a whopping $ 160 have to put me through the indignity of having to go through PayPal? And after my experience with PayPal a few years ago, I am not even going to try the other thing (WorldPay or whatever it’s called).

If there is no way around Paypal AND WorldPay, I may have to do without vBulletin or try to find something better elsewhere.

Why is the last paragraph font so small?
                          It would be appreciated if you would not be insulting to services that you personally do not like or totally understand. There are thousands (if not millions) of very satisfied PayPal users. I am one of them, being a member since October 2000, and use PayPal for every online transaction where possible; everything from minor transactions (monetary gifts to friends/family), to major transactions (paying employees, getting paid by clients). I also use it for all eBay transactions where possible.

NEVER have I had a serious problem with them; and any issues that do come up, I've had nothing but the best tech support and resolution of those issues.

Handling fees or "extra" charges are clearly started in their user agreement, FAQs, and wherever else you might go for information about their service. Plus, anytime you do a transaction, you are told that you are going to be charged these fees, if applicable. There have never been any surprises (read: hidden charges), I have never felt deceived by them, and the only ones who feel cheated are those who might be too lazy to READ before signing up.

In one of your replies above you said that maybe they have changed lately. Well, as far as I know, they have been the same all along.

If you don't like PayPal, it would have been just as effective to simply say so, without the personal opinions that could be construed as slander, and just ask if there is an alternate method of payment.

I apologize to the Mods and the rest of the community for this rant, but this sort of thing just gets my back up.
                          ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Originally posted by cbiweb
                            It would be appreciated if you would not be insulting to services that you personally do not like or totally understand.'.......................
                            I apologize to the Mods and the rest of the community for this rant, but this sort of thing just gets my back up.
                            If you want to feel insulted after reading my opinions, which are based on factual experiences (as stated), feel free to do so, that is your previledge (and your problem). But feeling that way does not give you the right to turn around and insult others by calling their honestly stated concerns a "rant".

I also rather doubt that this community need to be told when to get their backs up allong with you in an attempt to support you with your feelings.

Are you authorised to officially speak on behalf of vBulletin or are you only stating an outsiders opinion?

and the only ones who feel cheated are those who might be too lazy to READ before signing up.
                            trying to insult me in return? Not very mature.
                            Last edited by mwahl; Wed 7 Jul '04, 6:51am.

Comment

trying to insult me in return? Not very mature.
                              The only way you could feel insulted is if it applies to you.

If you want to feel insulted after reading my opinions, which are based on factual experiences (as stated), feel free to do so, that is your previledge (and your problem). But feeling that way does not give you the right to turn around and insult others by calling their honestly stated concerns a "rant".

I also rather doubt that this community need to be told when to get their backs up allong with you in an attempt to support you with your feelings.

Are you authorised to officially speak on behalf of vBulletin or are you only stating an outsiders opinion?
                              What???? Read my post again. I did not call your opinion a rant! I called my own post a rant, which is exactly what it was. AND... I did not tell nor encourage the rest of the comnunity to get their backs up. I said MY back was up. jeeez! I can see why you had problems with PayPal... and probably others. This is my last say on the subject. I'm not getting tangled up in your attitude.
                              Last edited by cbiweb; Wed 7 Jul '04, 6:58am.
                              ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X