This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Floris
    I'd say this isn't allowed. Because you take an image and cut it in half doesn't mean it isn't the same image.
    Too right, its still the same picture, just in half.

I hate it when other people try to mimic vBulletin just because they cannot afford it. After all they still dont get the features vBulletin offers.

Comment

I also get angry when ppl steal other ppl's hard work...It's so childish and uncalled for.

Got a Boxer?
      BoxerTalk

Comment

So it's a gradiant, I can do that in photoshop, is it illegal to do the exact same gradiant in photoshop and post in on the internet?

And you guys should stop bashing this skin, if you want to criticise this skin and telling people they are too poor to afford vB, then make a new topic, this is about if this skin should be legal.
        Last edited by Faces; Sun 25 Jul '04, 12:10am.

Comment

Originally posted by Faces
          So it's a gradiant, I can do that in photoshop, is it illegal to do the exact same gradiant in photoshop and post in on the internet?

And you guys should stop bashing this skin, if you want to criticise this skin and telling people they are too poor to afford vB, then make a new topic, this is about if this skin should be legal.
          For one thing, I doubt that you made the exact same gradient in photoshop. For another, you made that skin with the intention of making a vBulletin clone, which to my knowledge is illegal. Lastly, I'm sure that the creator will be at even more of a fault if he/she distributes it and the people who download it will also be liable unless they are vBulletin license holders.

By the way, if they're "too poor" to get something, then they don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
            By the way, if they're "too poor" to get something, then they don't get it.
            I never would have guessed...

Comment

Originally posted by Renshaw
              Too right, its still the same picture, just in half.
              I created teh following using Photoshop, and it is pretty much identicle, as you can see:

So you cant prove that the creator cut the gradient in half

Originally posted by Renshaw
              I hate it when other people try to mimic vBulletin just because they cannot afford it. After all they still dont get the features vBulletin offers.
              If we dont get the features, what exactly do you have against us making the skin?

For one thing, I doubt that you made the exact same gradient in photoshop.
              The following I created in Photoshop in about 20 seconds:

So you're wrong about that.

For another, you made that skin with the intention of making a vBulletin clone, which to my knowledge is illegal. Lastly, I'm sure that the creator will be at even more of a fault if he/she distributes it and the people who download it will also be liable unless they are vBulletin license holders.
              But if everything was made from scratch, and nothing ripped off. Surely the creator has done nothing wrong.

So if no laws have been broken, then the creator could not be sued for distibuting it.

....I believe we are still waiting to see whether it will be OK to release or not....

Comment

Originally posted by P-T-G
                But if everything was made from scratch, and nothing ripped off. Surely the creator has done nothing wrong.
                It wasn't made from scratch. It was made using vBulletin as a guide with the intention of making a third party product look identical to vBulletin.

So if no laws have been broken, then the creator could not be sued for distibuting it.
                That doesn't mean that the creator has not broken any laws.

....I believe we are still waiting to see whether it will be OK to release or not....
                The phpBB guys were forced to take down their vBulletin clone skin. I'm confident that it will be the same with this.

Comment

It wasn't made from scratch. It was made using vBulletin as a guide with the intention of making a third party product look identical to vBulletin.
                  So if he was to change the colors a tiny bit, technically you couldnt call it copying/ ripping?

That doesn't mean that the creator has not broken any laws.
                  If all the work is his own, what laws could he have broken?

The phpBB guys were forced to take down their vBulletin clone skin. I'm confident that it will be the same with this.
                  As I'm not a vB user as I'm 'too poor to afford it ', why were the phpBB guys forced to remove their skin?

Comment

The problem is that the gradient is 100% accurate. The gradients you provided were close, but not 100% accurate. phpBB guys were forced to remove it because the images are copyrighted by Jelsoft. The gradient is an image, therefore also copyrighted by Jelsoft.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

So let me get this straight. They had to remove there's becasue they stole Jelsoft's images.

And we'd have to remove it because of what? A copied layout? The layout isnt the same so that couldnt be the problem...

Comment

So let me get this straight. They had to remove there's becasue they stole Jelsoft's images.

And we'd have to remove it because of what? A copied layout? The layout isnt the same so that couldnt be the problem...
                        No, please understand that gradients are classifed as images since that's all they're, they just don't really "appear" to quite a few people. All images on the vBulletin skin are copyrighted to Jelsoft Enterprises, thus the images on the skin are copyrighted to them, thus the skin must/should be removed from that IPB since Jelsoft didn't give any rights (well, not that I'm aware of) for IPB to re-make that skin.

Also, I'd like to point out, that this skin is basicly the exact same, check out the Page Source Information and sit down and compare the two, you'll see a drastic similarity. Anyways, as Scott kindly told you, he'll forward the ticket to Ashley & I'm sure he'll handle it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Maccy
                          No, please understand that gradients are classifed as images since that's all they're, they just don't really "appear" to quite a few people. All images on the vBulletin skin are copyrighted to Jelsoft Enterprises, thus the images on the skin are copyrighted to them, thus the skin must/should be removed from that IPB since Jelsoft didn't give any rights (well, not that I'm aware of) for IPB to re-make that skin.
                          So would the following gradient be classifed as a Jelsoft gradient?

Originally posted by Ali Maccy
                          Also, I'd like to point out, that this skin is basicly the exact same, check out the Page Source Information and sit down and compare the two, you'll see a drastic similarity. Anyways, as Scott kindly told you, he'll forward the ticket to Ashley & I'm sure he'll handle it from there.
                          But IPB doesnt have the features that vB does. For example the drop down menus.

There are similarites, but thats what we wanted.

Jelsoft can copyright images, but from what I understand, they cannot copyright the layout of the skin.

Comment

The irony of it all is that it would be viewed upon the IPB community needs to emulate vBulletin to be recognized..
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

So would the following gradient be classifed as a Jelsoft gradient?

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...Gradient_2.jpg

But IPB doesnt have the features that vB does. For example the drop down menus.

There are similarites, but thats what we wanted.

Jelsoft can copyright images, but from what I understand, they cannot copyright the layout of the skin.
                              Somewhat I guess, if Jelsoft placed an exclusive copyright notice on it then all should obey the copyright notice, do you deny that. But come on people, just after making a quick observation at that skin you can tell it was totaly based off the vBulletin skin, how do you think IPB would like it if a copy of their version 2.0.0 skin was developed for vBulletin? I highly doubt they'd be pleased and would probably have it removed as soon as possible. Just look at the skin; it's totaly based around the vBulletin one as I've stated (which can't be stated enough). If you require proof, view the page source information as I stated and I'm sure you'll find drastic similarites.

And to be honest, I'd like to end my replying to this thread, Scott kindly said that Ashley would take a look at this, and I am sure once he gets enough time on his hands, he'll gladly do so.

Comment

How about we all just wait for someone who matters to post instead of deciding for them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X