• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• webstar
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris
    I don't quite understand.

You can setup a forum to behave as a few different things:

- As a forum (or a sub-forum inside a forum)
    - As a forum that behaves as a category (with (sub)forums in it)
    - As a forum that is actually a link
    The way I understand it is that the OP is asking whether or not there are any good reasons why they can't set up a forum that isn't displayed in the forum index, but is still reachable using the forums URL, as a container for comments on another part of their website. I believe, using the "Forum is Active (Will not appear if set to no, but remains accessible if the forum's URL is known)" option in the forum settings.

I believe some portal mods such as vBAdvanced already use a hidden forum to hold news articles and their comments. As you can see, the Homepage News forum isn't listed in the main forum listing, but is obviously accessible from the homepage or by direct URL.

Leave a comment:

• mwahl
    replied
    Was my question really so difficult that it can not be answered?

Leave a comment:

• mwahl
    replied
    I have a directory on my web site that uses classifieds-type software which does not have a products "comments", or "review" feature. I am hoping to ad that feature to the directory by using vBulletin as the general web site forum software AND diverting a part or category of it (through a link button) to allow users of the directory to comment on, or review any of the products listed in the directory. I am also hoping that once a comment has been made from the directory, that it will draw forum users to the directory and directory users to the forum.

This maybe a type of "cross-linking"(?) that will allow users to go back and forth between the forum and the directory, almost as if it was one system. Has anyone ever tried something like this and found it to be a problem?

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I don't quite understand.

You can setup a forum to behave as a few different things:

- As a forum (or a sub-forum inside a forum)
    - As a forum that behaves as a category (with (sub)forums in it)
    - As a forum that is actually a link

Leave a comment:

• mwahl
    started a topic use vB as directory comments pages?

use vB as directory comments pages?

From what I could gather by trying the demos, it appears to me that it should be possible to use a vBcategory set to NOT show up in the forum but accessable by link from a directory on the same web site by a simple link button marked "Comment on this listing", so that any user can then post a comment on any listing that has that link button. Can anyone think of a reason why this may not be workable?
    Thanks,
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X