License Question regarding subdomains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Question regarding subdomains

Is is ok to host forums for other people or companies under a subdomain of the licensed domain?

Ie...

company1.my-licensed-domain.com
    company2.my-licensed-domain.com

etc.

BTW, the WYSIWYG editor does not work in Mozilla FireFirefox, but you guys probably already know this.

If each sub domain appears as if it is a seperate forum, then it would require a license. Your suggestion implies that there will be two different companies pointing to two different sections presenting two different type of contents/forums (instances).

Comment

At times the sub domains would appear to be part of the main forum and at others it would not.

It wouldn't be economically feasible in this case to purchase licenses for each subdomain (since they would be hosted for free) so I guess I will use a GPL'd forum or something for that.

Comment

If you want someone from our sales department to have a look at this, please write out in detail what your plan is and send it to [email protected].

Comment

They don't follow this forum?

Comment

You cannot modify the software to make it appear that there are separate sites or board:

http://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php

Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz
              They don't follow this forum?
              Yes, they do read it, but they can't read every post, and if you provide more details they can explain it more indepth for your specific situation. But for example, Steve got this one this time.

Comment

What if I used VBulletin for my "Main" board and used a GPL'd message board software (I'll avoid dropping names) to host sub-boards?

Something like that would be ok right?

Comment

See, I like certain aspects of VB.. it would be a time saver for me for my own main board if I choose to use VB for that (If I was able to).

But _part_ of my model is also going to be hosting forums for other companies for free. It wouldn't be 100% of the business model like some of the places that might come up when you do a search for 'free forum hosting' (again, trying to avoid dropping names). When I'm offering them for free I can't very well afford to pay $160 per company who wants a forum that may or may not even get any traffic to it.

So maybe I could use a mix of VB and a GPL'd forum then.

Comment

Not sure exactly what you mean but if you only running one copy of vB and have not made any modifications to make it appear you are running multiple copies of vB on separate sites, this will be okay.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      Not sure exactly what you mean but if you only running one copy of vB and have not made any modifications to make it appear you are running multiple copies of vB on separate sites, this will be okay.
                      Right... in my ammended example, each of the 'seperate sites' would be powered by a different brand of forum software, though they may be linked to from my main domain which would be running my main domains forum (powered by vbulletin) - but the individual 'seperate sites' would clearly state that they are NOT powered by vB... err... you know what I mean I think

What a horrible way to have to do this though...tracking & maintaining two brands of forum software

Any creative solutions over there from the sales team for extra licenses that are sub-domained in this way?
                      Last edited by Kaz; Thu 17th Jun '04, 1:53pm.

Comment

You cannot modify the software to make it appear that there are separate sites or board:
                        If I can give people groups (admin, group1, group2, user) can I hide forums from certain groups though?

If I am creating a forum (not a board just 1 forum, perhaps the proper word is category) for a course then that could mean I need 100 licences. Can't I just hide the forums so that only the group with the permission to see the forum can see it?

For example on your forum you have groupings of

vBulletin Announcements and Discussions
                        vBulletin Sales
                        vBulletin 3

So couldn't I have

Café forum
                        Group1's forum
                        Group2's forum

And make it so that group 2 don't have the permission to see Group1's forum and that group 1 can't see Group1's forum.

I hope this is making at least some sense.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X