Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware recommendations?

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my forum to V3 from V2, but at the same time, I need to find a new home, as the current setup is co-hosted with another forum which is overwhelming my forum.

A quick run down of my site is that has 10,000 registered memebers, 2,000,000 posts over 100,000 threads. It accummulates around 20,000 new posts a week and peaks at about 1000 users at the most.

Money is scarce, but responses need to be within an acceptable time range. The site would have to be hosted as I don't have the facilities to host it myself.

1st question - recommended hardware specs including pros/cons of running MySQL on a seperate server.

2nd question - anybody know of any vb-friendly, affordable webhosters?

cheers

FM

Since your server needs to deal with up to 1,000 concurrent online users, there is no way but a dual CPU server.

CPU: You will need something like a dual Intel Xeon System with at least 2.0 GHz CPUs or better, or a dual AMD Opteron system with 1.6 GHz per CPU or better.
    RAM: 2048 MB should be sufficient, maybe 1536 MB is enough, too. Still, it might be risky, since RAM is the most important thing about your server.
    HDD: Get one fast IDE harddisc for the operating system and the webserver and one SCSI harddisc, which is dedicated to the MySQL server storage directory. Btw ... replacing the IDE disc with another SCSI drive, or even getting 3 discs (1 webserver, 2 as a RAID-0 for the database) would of course be better, but more expensive.

Of course, this is really expensive. If it's too much money for you, try to get a dual Athlon MP mainboard with XP 2200+ CPUs at least. But you have to keep in mind, that this hardware is not produced any more, so you need to get it at ebay for example ...

If you want to use cheaper single CPU servers:
    Set up one Server as webserver and another one (the bigger one ) as dedicated MySQL database machine. The latter should have at least 1536 MB of memory. Try to get your hoster to connect the both machines via an own Ethernet cable (1GBit Ethernet would be sweet, but 100MBit is still enough for a dedicated line). You will need two extra network cards to do so - one for each machine.
    This option might be cheaper than a rather expensive Dual Opteron/Xeon setup, but you will have to maintain two servers instead of one, which is of course more work and a higer risk concerning hardware damages.
    Odysseus
    Last edited by Odysseus; Wed 9 Jun '04, 2:42am.

Comment

Hi there,

I'd like to advice (unofficially, personal recommendation) to checkout theplanet.com total control servers. Get at least SCSI hd's.
      Since you say you currently run version 2, please goto the priority support in the members area to show up as licensed.

Comment

Thanks for both people who replied, extremely useful information and just what I needed to know.

BTW, I'm not the current licence holder, it's a long story but essentially I'm a tech savvie friend looking at separating two forums that are seriously overloaded in their current setup. It'll mean a new VB licence will be needed, but that isn't a significant cost in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

P2800s from the planet would be adequate.

Dual 2.8GHZ Xeon, 2GBD DR and 2 73GB SCSI.

If you pay a setup fee then you can reduce your monthly cost by up to $50.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Mole
            Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my forum to V3 from V2, but at the same time, I need to find a new home, as the current setup is co-hosted with another forum which is overwhelming my forum.

A quick run down of my site is that has 10,000 registered memebers, 2,000,000 posts over 100,000 threads. It accummulates around 20,000 new posts a week and peaks at about 1000 users at the most.

Money is scarce, but responses need to be within an acceptable time range. The site would have to be hosted as I don't have the facilities to host it myself.

1st question - recommended hardware specs including pros/cons of running MySQL on a seperate server.

2nd question - anybody know of any vb-friendly, affordable webhosters?

cheers

FM
            for that size forum, there's a big advantage in running a separate dedicated mysql database server so you have one dual cpu server for web serving/apache/php + one dual cpu server for mysql server.

I would definitely be advising you on at least for

web server
            Dual P4 2.8GHZ Xeon
            2GB RAM
            2x 36GB 10,000rpm SCSI disks depending on how important the data is to you run raid 1 or 3 disks in raid5

mysql database server
            Dual P4 2.8GHZ Xeon
            2GB RAM
            3x 36GB 10,000rpm or 15,000rpm SCSI disks in raid5

Once you have the servers and vB license, pop on over to server config forum at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...aysprune=&f=14 and I'll tweak you up to handle the loads

FYI, my own forums (200-400 vB users online) is being temporarily hosted together with a much larger forum (1,100 - 1,500+ vB users online) on a 2 server setup like above except they're Dual P4 3.06GHZ Xeons, 2GB (soon 3GB) ram, scsi raid 5 for each server.

Note, if you receive alot of traffic to entire server and you generate large traffic log files, it might be wise to have a separate disk to log these log files and make sure you setup log rotation (ask web host) to divide very large log files into smaller segments to process. As I found the larger forum on the server I am on, generates 800MB-1GB log files each day, and when the cronjob set to rotate this log accesses these large files, it ends up making the server swap to disk by 500-600MB.

Trust me, your forum size will not survive on a single dual cpu server - it has to divide to 2 servers to adequately support your current forum activity levels as well as have some room for growth and to do the more server intensive and more overlooked tasks for admining such large forum databases associated which such a forum size.
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X