No announcement yet.

Vbulletin over Invision Power Board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've gone through all the clientscript files with a fine tooth comb, and there is no reference to ANY license number anywhere.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

While we're speaking about vB and IPB and how they compare, I had someone ask me on another forum that he is currently using IPB, but wants to get a vB license. But here's the twist...he wanted both boards to work off one database so members could have a choice of what software they want to use.

Me and several other told him that was impossible or almost impossible. I think you would have to severly modify the code of both forums for them to talk to each other, IF that could be done. Many told him to simply dump IPB and go with vB.
      Kim

Comment

Some people did that on IPB's board, but the threads got tossed. Even in a neautral place like WHT, people will lean towards vB.

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
        Go to the Invision boards and ask the same questions. I guarantee you'll get responses that are biased to their board.
        Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Alfarin
          I think the license code problem arise in /clientscript/ files. But even then, the license number is utterly useless IMHO. Yes, someone can see your license number, so what? Its not like the license number will allow the person to have access to your admin cp, nor does that mean the person can get into your member area (that's what the 50 digits usernamepassword combo is for). The absolute worst thing they can do is put up a copy of pirated vbulletin after manually recreating all the call home features and plugin your license info to tick off the versions server... and even then, Jelsoft will contact THEM, not you, the license holder, because their server is housing the illegal copy...

While I do agree, there are some cosmetics issues with both forums and feature issues with both forums, I do honestly believe that if you want to properly setfoot in the community, you will need vBulletin. Its a simple fact I've faced too many times... I've attempted to start a community eariler without vB, prospecting advertisers saw us using IPB, and decided to go with another community simply because IPB was not established to be a commercial forum. Of course, this was a few months ago, so things may be different now, but all in all, my view will not be changed simply because of that incident alone... until I can be proven otherwise that is.
          Yeah I guess. The worst thing that could happen would be if somebody hacked into your email account and got that email with your license and password. Though I downloaded that email and deleted it from my server...
          In that case, we would have our licenses reset...

Comment

Trust me, vBulletin is the way to go. I have used IPB for some time now and am absolutely DYING to be able to purchase vBulletin. The admin demo shows off so much power. You may not need all the features to begin with, but as you start to need more forum maintenance and statistics, as well as a cleaner and more professional look, you will surely want vBulletin.

Not only that, but the staff and members here are REALLY helpful and the feeling I get with IPB is that all they want is people's money.

vBulletin is decked out with all the features and is being updated with new ones

I really like the community, software and resources for vBulletin, be glad that you are able to get it. If I were you i'd already have it :P

Comment

Originally posted by welo
              I ran an IPB for our board for a year-and-a-half before converting to VB (actually, I woulda done it sooner but I was waiting on a reasonably stable VB3 version first).

There are a few things IPB does that I kinda miss though (like being able to reply to and move a thread at the same time, and being able to file sent PMs). Even so, no comparison. I do have to admit their 2.0 version seems to be coming along however.
              Actually they are rushing into 2.1 at the moment. Hey and guess what, complete change to the skinning templates YET AGAIN!!!!!!! They may have just lost us for good on that decision.

Comment

I wonder if the new template system is going to resemble vB3s....hmm
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalled
                  Actually they are rushing into 2.1 at the moment. Hey and guess what, complete change to the skinning templates YET AGAIN!!!!!!!
                  And probably yet another new pricing structure to go along with it too!
                  Homes-Spain

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X