X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Some Person123

• Some Person123
    replied
    mod cp... hmm. on admin demo ill make a mod and check it out...

EDIT: cant.. hmmmmmm

EDIT: cool i got it. its a small admin cp
    Some Person123
    Last edited by Some Person123; Wed 9 Jun '04, 5:08pm.

Leave a comment:

• Zecherieh

• Zecherieh
    replied
    If you are going to be running a site that is primarily community based, and not have a forgotten about board on some link somewhere - than you need to get what you want and think you will be happy with for a long time.

I could not imagine having to convert, that would be a nightmare to me - I also am lucky I believe. In early 2000 I started getting involved online, one thing leads to another, next thing I know I am a moderator on a forum (oh wow ) - Actually, I made the first post in the Fantasy Football Forum in the history of Footballboards/Fanhome/theInsiders fantasy football forum - But the key their was my group left fanhome and started our own, and even though everybody was using UBB then, I convinced the others to go vB - I had a hunch that it was here to stay.

I am very uninvolved in things here, never have time, but in all my going around the net, I have never seen a more loyal, long lasting group of customers, or anything actually. I mean almost all the people I used to post with when I did post here alot - is still around, (albiet either they are a mod or a god now a days .

Guess my whole rambling point is this.

Compare the software all you want, their is only one place you can get at any price this user base that is willing to help, listen, suggest, annoy, etc - and not only do it today, but still be here five years from now I bet because they dont want to go anywhere else or with any other product. I know it happens, but how many people do you ever really see leave vBulletin and go to other products, maybe a small trickle?

How many do you see come to vBulletin, a very consistent steady stream. Ten bucks says you check out the regs on phpBB or Invision that have up and coming forums, at least half of them will be here in less than a year.

Leave a comment:

• Zecherieh

• Zecherieh
    replied
    Originally posted by Some Person123
    yep. But also i liked mod cp. but that i can do without. Vb just - looks sweet. ipb is... to... boring VB default skin acually looks good!
    http://sportsforum.ws/modcp/ (your path)

um whats that?

Leave a comment:

• Some Person123

• Some Person123
    replied
    Originally posted by welo
    I ran an IPB for our board for a year-and-a-half before converting to VB (actually, I woulda done it sooner but I was waiting on a reasonably stable VB3 version first).

There are a few things IPB does that I kinda miss though (like being able to reply to and move a thread at the same time, and being able to file sent PMs). Even so, no comparison. I do have to admit their 2.0 version seems to be coming along however.
    yep. But also i liked mod cp. but that i can do without. Vb just - looks sweet. ipb is... to... boring VB default skin acually looks good!

Leave a comment:

• welo

• welo
    replied
    I ran an IPB for our board for a year-and-a-half before converting to VB (actually, I woulda done it sooner but I was waiting on a reasonably stable VB3 version first).

There are a few things IPB does that I kinda miss though (like being able to reply to and move a thread at the same time, and being able to file sent PMs). Even so, no comparison. I do have to admit their 2.0 version seems to be coming along however.

Leave a comment:

• Some Person123

• Some Person123
    replied
    i just uded the demo. Im getting better at it. vbulletin 90%
    IPB 10%
    I just need to learn how to do some things like change the skin

Leave a comment:

• RagingPenguin

• RagingPenguin
    replied
    Here's something to consider on top of what my comrades have said about vB. I've been running forums for years. I've used DISCUS PRO, Ikonboard, Invisionboard, and several others. I also run my own network and servers. I see things from all sides, the users, the forums admins, the theme developers, and the server admins. vBulletin is simply the best their is. Hands down. It's fast, efficient, easy to customize templating system, and easy to use admin features (these last two, like anything else, has a learning curve, but what doesn't nowadays). The BEST thing of course ar these kind people that have replied to your post. A great support community is sometimes better than any single feature a system has to offer.

Leave a comment:

• Shadow Duelist

• Shadow Duelist
    replied
    Some_Person123,

Just use what you want. If you think IPB is faster, has more features, and is easyer than vBuleltin, then us IPB. It's your choice.

Now, if you like vBuleltin, think it's faster, better, has more features, then sue it. Although, I must admit it was very confuszing to me at first, but then after a while, I got used to it - knew where everything was by memory.

It's really your choice, man.

Oh, and don't go for that "when i didn't use vb, my site had no hits, not that i installed it, it has 100's of hits!!!" thing, it's just a huge scam. Trust me, I would rather go to a good community that uses so-so software than a so-so site that uses stellar software.

Remember, it's your choice. .

Leave a comment:

• goingnova

• goingnova
    replied
    Take the RIGHT ROUTE, not the easy one! If you go with Invision now because it is easier, and then six months from now find that you need the features of vBulletin, it will be even HARDER to learn once you become used to something else. Would you go to a community college when you could go to Harvard (lets say you could afford it, no problems), just because it is easier?

Take it from someone who is struggling with vBulletin: yes, it is a little complex, but I am simply amazed each time I figure out a new feature! I am like, "WOW, I didn't know I could do that!" I am very happy I use vBulletin, and I am saying that knowing how to work maybe HALF THE FEATURES! LOL I can't wait until I know how to use 90% of them!

Leave a comment:

• Some Person123

• Some Person123
    replied
    okay. ill test em out. im really thinking of getting it. my board only have 500 users..
    its not a lot but i like vb. ill decide later.

Leave a comment:

• Floris

• Floris
    replied
    vBulletin lite was the version 2 admin demo - only available offline as a testing version. Not meant (not stable or secure) as live-envirenment. It is no longer available, for an enhanced admin-demo for version 3 is now available. (just updated my previous post btw hehe)

Leave a comment:

• Some Person123

• Some Person123
    replied
    okay. ill try them both. errr. a bit off topic but what is vbulletin lite?

Leave a comment:

• Floris

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Some Person123
    Well ive made an admin demo, and i like vbulletin. But im still not sure. IBP is VERY easy to use. VB is a little complex. I know both sites have suport (well i think ipb does. never needed it though) so i really cant decide. IPB has tons of things todo. VB also does and looks 10 times better. I like the post details over posts but on IPB i have a code that does that.
    Can someone help me decide.
    Thanks

~Some person123
    ----------------------------------------------
    p.s-quick question. Over here you dont need to use pop up boxes to change fonts and colours. At a vbulletin forum you need to type ina pop up box to change colours. why is that?
    Hi there

I am very happy to read that you have an interest in the vBulletin software - and glad you are trying it out before buying by using the admin demo.

At first run it might appear complex, but since you won't be needing all the options and features every day - it is quite easy to get used to and actually quite simple to find what is where. It is just overwhelming in the beginning.

vBulletin is more complete (to my feeling) then competition software and more flexible and dynamic, leading into more options and features to be listed in the admin control panel. But the whole control panel is outlined in a complete and detailed on-line manual (www.vbulletin.com/docs/html)

Yes, both invision and jelsoft provide support for their software, but keep in mind that vBulletin software support is free - we have an excellent support system and support team, professionals who will reply to every question within 12 to 24 hours, but our average currently stands on below 30 minutes. (see frontpage)

I can understand you think my opinion is biased since I am a team member myself, but I am also a customer and together with big companies and professional web sites like winamp.com running vbulletin without hickups - and vBulletin being used by over 50% of the biggest registered forums listed on big-boards.com (from top750), I think it isn't just my opinion.

The choice is always yours, on which software to go for, but I am glad I purchased myself a license a few years ago, it has boosted my web site from 10% activity to 75% activity in matters of weeks.

Good luck with your choice
    Floris
    Last edited by Floris; Tue 8 Jun '04, 2:19pm.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support

• Zachery
    replied
    Help > About Internet Explorer

Leave a comment:

• Some Person123

• Some Person123
    replied
    how do i tell what kind of internet explorer it is? all it says it internet explorer...

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X