VBulletin over phpBB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JHS_Pichu
    I know that vBulletin 3 is a good way better than phpBB, but I've never even consider getting one because it is so extremely expensive. Then it's better with a board that is not as good, but free. And phpBB2.2 is looking to be at least as good as vB 2.3.
    you mean the next version of phpBB i.e. 2.2 - the one the phpBB team refuse to state when it will be released... will be as good as the previous version of vB... now that's what I call progress eh!

hehe
    John

Comment

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
      you mean the next version of phpBB i.e. 2.2 - the one the phpBB team refuse to state when it will be released... will be as good as the previous version of vB... now that's what I call progress eh!

hehe
      You can't blame them, they just don't want useless features. :-/.

Comment

I would agree and disagree.. I have used IPB and PHP boards. VB kicks the hell out of both. You as an Admin have a considerable amount of more controll over the board and its users. Same with being a Mod..

Just because a few or even many of the features that VB or PHPBB you wont use, doesnt by any means make them "useless".
        Home of the free, Because of the brave.

Comment

Originally posted by mholtum
          I would agree and disagree.. I have used IPB and PHP boards. VB kicks the hell out of both. You as an Admin have a considerable amount of more controll over the board and its users. Same with being a Mod..

Just because a few or even many of the features that VB or PHPBB you wont use, doesnt by any means make them "useless".
          It would mean useless to the user.

That's why people use phpBB, because they just want a small forum, they don't ned logs, calender, quick reply, etc.

vBulletin is for the sites with the owners who have money and want a feature-filled, good style package all-in-one. vBulletin is the best choice, though.

Comment

Ironically, I find such "useless" features like quick reply to be useful to users that aren't looking to make detailed, paragraphs long posts.

With phpBB, you will have to spend much time hacking it to your needs, while VBulletin, right out of the box, with all the core features gives you far more options to manage your board.

phpBB is nice for what you get, but you will need to have some understanding of scripting before you climb through that mountain that is open-source support.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMusicMan

hehe
              Well, it's better not to release it till they test it completely, than to release several upgrades later... Or to promise that it'll be released after this upgrade... I remember vB 2.2.9 become 2.3.4... (although I'm unsure if you did promise that vb 3.0 would be out then...)

Comment

Well, from 2.2.9 to 2.3.5 were security updates and anti-spam-bot attacks and improvement of mail > vbmail(); elements/functions, etc to provide the best to the customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                  www.big-boards.com

Yes, phpBB is in the top 10, but vBulletin is listed more then 50% in the top 750. That kind of makes a difference.
                  Heh my site is on that list AND I'm using phpBB. I have been using phpBB for like 3 years now but the last few months my site has became really big. Now I have around 25.000 members and half a million posts and phpBB just runs slow with so much users online at the same time. That's the main reason why I looked further for another board system.

Couldn't be happier with vbulletin though, although I haven't gone live yet... I'm still tweaking things. My site was totally based on phpBB, login system... news articles etc. so I have to port everything to vbulletin. I'm at 80% though. Anyway... I'm talking and talking... point is I love vb already.

Only thing I miss is the extensive IP lookup feature phpBB has, when you click on the IP button of a post you see all the other IPs a user has posted on. That's useful to see if a user is posting at his regular IP address or at a friends house or whatever. So if a user misbehaves I generally choose to IP ban the one that is on the list the most.

Comment

Hey that is cool, what is your rank on bb .com site?

Comment

I have no clue, haven't checked since I heard I was on there. It's somewhere at the bottom though, I thought it was 620 last time I checked.

I'm hoping vb is going to give it a boost to #1 :P

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X