Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conversion available for OLD UBB classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion available for OLD UBB classic?

I am looking to replace the software for a UBB 5.47a setup, and am considering switching to vBulletin instead of upgrading to a current UBB. I'm on a couple of vB boards and like the user interface very much.

I prime consideration is the ability to move existing threads and user records to the new system. Question 1: Is conversion available for this old a UBB?

This is a bbs for a subscription membership organization, so there are memberships added and lapsing all the time. While the bbs is mostly open to the public, there is one forum that must be restricted to the current members, but the bbs admin have no access to the organization membership records to determine any user's current status. The organization issues a password to its members that allows them to access to other members-only portions of the website - knowledge of the current organization password is sufficient confirmation of organization membership for bbs purposes.

Question two: Is there a similar forum entry via password system available in vB? If so, we could duplicate the current system.

But as long as we're going to the hassle of redoing the board, it would be nice to improve the system, so ...

Question three: I'd really like to have the members enter the curent organization password in their profile, and have the system check this against the current org pw to allow access to that private forum. Would this be possible with vB?
    Doug Wilson
    Administrator, Timeshare Users Group bbs

The importer from UBB.Classic to vBulletin 2.3.5 should be able to handle UBB 5.47. From there you can run the upgrade script to update to vBulletin 3.0.1.

Password protected forums are available in the vBulletin 3.X series. There is no way by default for them to enter passwords into their profile and have these checked against forum passwords though. Probably wouldn't be hard to add this though with vBulletin's custom profile fields and a few file modifications.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      The importer from UBB.Classic to vBulletin 2.3.5 should be able to handle UBB 5.47. From there you can run the upgrade script to update to vBulletin 3.0.1.
      Hmm.. so I'd have to import, THEN update. How involved is the update? My concern here is how long the board would have to be down for the changeover.

Password protected forums are available in the vBulletin 3.X series. There is no way by default for them to enter passwords into their profile and have these checked against forum passwords though. Probably wouldn't be hard to add this though with vBulletin's custom profile fields and a few file modifications.
      Are custom profile fields available in 2.3.5? My hope would be to do most of my major customization in 2.3.5, including adding some custom fields to the profile, and get things looking the way I want them (as close in appearance to the current board as possible to ease transition problems for our computer-challenged users), import the old data, update to 3.0.1, add your standard password protection to that one forum, and go online. Then I could look at improving the password handling later. Ideally, I'd have preferred to have everything set and THEN import, but it doesn't sound like that would work, thanks to how out of date our UBB is.

If I start adding such customizations as mucking around with how the password protected forum is handled, how does that affect the support from Jelsoft? That has presented a problem with UBB.
      Doug Wilson

Comment

Hacking the source code is not supported. However you can do major modifications with the template's. That will most likely be the biggest jump for you, no html is in the code, it is all editable from the admin cp.

I would recomend not customizing vBulletin until you are on the version you wish to work with (3.0). Depending on the size of your forum the upgrade process can take a few minutes to a few hours, larger boards can speed up the process by tweaking the upgrade scripts (big thread about that in the support forums).

Comment

Thanks, Brad. It's not all that big a board, as we run into server problems when our fora get too large. (Timeout probs with the search engine that neither Infopop nor our server folks have been able to solve.) The new board will be with new software on a new server. Twenty-some forums, all of which we've had to keep trimmed back to no more than 3500 posts to avoid those problems.

Biggest headache will probably be the user files, as there are more than 20,000 of them - mostly inactive, but we have no current way to separate these out and cancel them. This IS something we can track with vB, right?
          Doug Wilson

Comment

Yes it would be easy to do, if not through a switch in the admin cp a simple SQL query could handle it (which can be run out of the admin cp to). Honestly i've never felt like I have a lack of info when working with users in vBulletin.

Comment

One more seemingly stupid question:

Although I will be the one doing the work, for continuity purposes I'd like the license to be purchased by the organization or its owner. Would this give ME any problems in accessing download files or obtaining support? (We've had major problems with UBB since the license, although reimbursed by the organization, was purchased by and is in the name of an individual who no longer is affiliated with the organization).
              Doug Wilson

Comment

No, as long as they allow you into the members area you wouldnt have any problems

Comment

What is involved with "allowing [me] into the members area"? Just giving me the required entry info? (Name/password, account number, whatever?)
                  Doug Wilson

Comment

They would need to give you the login information.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X