Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which server should I order for my forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daveh
    replied
    We're upgrading our gerbil-in-a-wheel server which is a PIII 700, 512MB SD RAM, 36GB SCSI with our 12,000 members, 1.02 million post, 160 members online on vB2, to a spec similar to yours when we move over to vB3 at the weekend.
    Its a P4 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM and 120GB SATA drives in RAID.

Leave a comment:

• goyo
    replied
    Faster hard-drive if it's possible.
    If you have a growing community you'll probably need 2 GB memory from around 300 concurent users (mostly because of the attachment queries).

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    It should be fine, the CPU is a p4, it would be either that, or a dual.
    The memory is the 'at least' value, which is good enough I think. I have been on bigger sites that handle it with 512mb.
    The connection is good too.

I am a bit worried about the hard drive which is the bottleneck. It could slow down drasticly trying to process all the data that is being requested and stored, etc.

I'd get a RAID setup or a SCSI drive, or at least the operating system and programs on one drive, the files and data on another and mysql on its seperate drive too.

Leave a comment:

• Fiji
    started a topic Which server should I order for my forums?

Which server should I order for my forums?

I have a forums with about 120 user online at all (almost) the times. Record online is about 200. With a lot of attachments/posts every day, about 1300 posts and about 8MB of attachments daily.

The forums software is vBulletin 2.3.5, I'll upgrade to 3.0.1 soon.

The server I'm going to order:

CPU P4 2.8GHz
    Mem 1GB
    HDD 80GB 8MB cache 7200rpm IDE
    100MBps upload link

Should it enough?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X