• Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Currently that's correct.

Leave a comment:

• Hogbeast
    replied
    So there is zero auto-response integration from e-mail?

Leave a comment:

• osirisjem
    replied
    emailing not useful according to vb team

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Can you set it so that you can reply to posts/threads from your private email and it displays as a reply on the forum?
    NO it is not possible,

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Sorry. There is NO WAY to do this without hacking.

Leave a comment:

• tfield98
    replied
    Steve:

<This should be my last posting in this thread... we both hope!>

To my:

3. There is no way user to subscribe to get instant email for all new posts in all new topics… (A hack might be doable, but I've not yet found one...)

you answered an ambiguous "No." I believe you mean, "Yes, there is no way..." Correct?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    1. No
    2. Yes, up to a total of 250 characters for all email addresses.
    3. No.
    4. Yes.

Leave a comment:

• tfield98
    replied
    I'm trying to summarize what I've found regarding email notification in 3.0.

Are the following statements true?
    1. User can elect to be notified by instant email of all new topics in a forum. He can then visit the topic and manually subscribe to posts in that one topic.
    2. The Forum Manager can add a user (using the Forum Control Panel) to a list of users who will get instant e-mail for all new posts in a forum, even in new topics.
    3. There is no way user to subscribe to get instant email for all new posts in all new topics… (A hack might be doable, but I've not yet found one...)
    4. User can subscribe to daily or weekly email digests containing all new posts (including those in new topics) in a forum.
    Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    1. Yes

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Eidt Forum -> Email Addresses to Notify When there is a New Post

2. Yes, at least with these specific permissions:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Administrator Permissions

Leave a comment:

• tfield98
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    The only option to do this is to manually add email address for new post/thread notifications in the Forum Manager section of the Admin CP. There is currently no option for users to sign up to get notifications on every new post in a forum. As I said before, this requires modifying the code.
    Thanks, Steve. Forgive me for not quite understanding your post. Not being a regular user, or Administrator of a vb forum yet, I'm not quite sure what your saying. Are you saying that a person who has permission to access an Admin CP can add individuals' email addresses who will then be subscribed to all new posts in that forum? That's great!

Question: Are access rights to administration of vb tiered in any way? In other words, if I want to "deputize" a user to soley the role of adding users to a forum, can I give him a subset of the privileges to just the Forum Manager section, or does he get "master" rights to the entire vb installation?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    The only option to do this is to manually add email address for new post/thread notifications in the Forum Manager section of the Admin CP. There is currently no option for users to sign up to get notifications on every new post in a forum. As I said before, this requires modifying the code.

Leave a comment:

• tfield98
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery

Since vB already gives the options in 3.0.0 to allow new posts and threads to be emailed...
    Zachery: can you explain the above sentence? Are you saying that in 3.0.0 a user can subscribe to be emailed every new post, in every thread (new or old) in a given forum?

Or are you saying that users can be notified of all new threads, as they're created and then would have to visit the thread and manually subscribe, or ???

Tom
    Last edited by tfield98; Wed 12th May '04, 4:17pm.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    You want every one to be notified of new posts or new threads or both?

Edit, its more than possible to do this with the standing version, it just requires abit more work.

Since vB already gives the options in 3.0.0 to allow new posts and threads to be emailed you can create a mailing list of sorts and every time there is a new post/thread everyone on the list would recive it, unless i miss understood how this process works
    Last edited by Zachery; Wed 12th May '04, 1:08pm.

Leave a comment:

• tfield98
    replied
    DId we make a mistake choosing vBulletin?

<flames off> I don't intend this as a flame or troll.

We're impressed with vBulletin. It works. It's rugged, been running flawlessly for months. Nice UI, etc., etc.

But, without instantaneous email notification, our users, who are encamped on a yahoo group, refuse to move over to our vBulletin forums. Frankly, I don't blame them.

We waited patiently for 3.0, hoping this not-extrordinary feature would be added. It wasn't.

Now we've got to decide whether to go the hack route. Frankly, our IT department is resistant to using a hack since it won't have gone through the QA process, etc. etc.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? How does one go about evaluating the reliability of hacks, etc. etc.

We'd like to stay with vBulletin. But, if staying means our forum fails to reach a critical mass where our customers use it regularly, we'd be silly to continue using it.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    That's a hack. As far as I know, no Developer has said that feature will be included in 3.1.

Leave a comment:

• tfield98
    replied
    Thanks, Steve.

Good news. I just found at this link (if I'm reading it right) that version 3.1 will have a CP option to subscribe to an entire forum by immediate email.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ight=subscribe

Tom

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X