Emailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emailing?

Looking into using vbulletin to replace a yahoo group but need to ensure that it has a function to email automatically each post/thread when entered by a member..does it have this function (to switch on or off)...a bit like individual emails/daily digest/no mail etc but also allow users to view online if they wish

Thanks
    Robyn

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Looking into using vbulletin to replace a yahoo group but need to ensure that it has a function to email automatically each post/thread when entered by a member..does it have this function (to switch on or off)...a bit like individual emails/daily digest/no mail etc but also allow users to view online if they wish

Thanks
    Robyn
    vBulletin can do all of that and more.

Comment

Can you set it so that you can reply to posts/threads from your private email and it displays as a reply on the forum?

Comment

This is not part of the standard code. You would probably need to check over at the official hacking site, vBulletin.org for modification if one has been released. If there hasen't been one released you can request one.

Comment

Originally posted by Incendium
          vBulletin can do all of that and more.
          Does VB 3.0 allow a user to subscribe to all threads (existing and those to come) in a forum in one step, or do they have to subscribe to each thread as it is created (as is the case with the 2.x release, I'm told.)

Thanks!!

Comment

You can subscribe to a forum and receive daily or weekly digests of new posts in that forum. There is no function available to users to automatically subscribe to every thread in a forum.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              You can subscribe to a forum and receive daily or weekly digests of new posts in that forum. There is no function available to users to automatically subscribe to every thread in a forum.
              So you're saying I can subscribe to a forum's daily or weekly digest, but not for individual thread notification?

Comment

No, I'm saying you would need to subscribe to each thread individually.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks, Steve.

Good news. I just found at this link (if I'm reading it right) that version 3.1 will have a CP option to subscribe to an entire forum by immediate email.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ight=subscribe

Tom

Comment

That's a hack. As far as I know, no Developer has said that feature will be included in 3.1.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

DId we make a mistake choosing vBulletin?

<flames off> I don't intend this as a flame or troll.

We're impressed with vBulletin. It works. It's rugged, been running flawlessly for months. Nice UI, etc., etc.

But, without instantaneous email notification, our users, who are encamped on a yahoo group, refuse to move over to our vBulletin forums. Frankly, I don't blame them.

We waited patiently for 3.0, hoping this not-extrordinary feature would be added. It wasn't.

Now we've got to decide whether to go the hack route. Frankly, our IT department is resistant to using a hack since it won't have gone through the QA process, etc. etc.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? How does one go about evaluating the reliability of hacks, etc. etc.

We'd like to stay with vBulletin. But, if staying means our forum fails to reach a critical mass where our customers use it regularly, we'd be silly to continue using it.

Tom

Comment

You want every one to be notified of new posts or new threads or both?

Edit, its more than possible to do this with the standing version, it just requires abit more work.

Since vB already gives the options in 3.0.0 to allow new posts and threads to be emailed you can create a mailing list of sorts and every time there is a new post/thread everyone on the list would recive it, unless i miss understood how this process works
                        Last edited by Zachery; Wed 12th May '04, 1:08pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery

Since vB already gives the options in 3.0.0 to allow new posts and threads to be emailed...
                          Zachery: can you explain the above sentence? Are you saying that in 3.0.0 a user can subscribe to be emailed every new post, in every thread (new or old) in a given forum?

Or are you saying that users can be notified of all new threads, as they're created and then would have to visit the thread and manually subscribe, or ???

Tom
                          Last edited by tfield98; Wed 12th May '04, 4:17pm.

Comment

The only option to do this is to manually add email address for new post/thread notifications in the Forum Manager section of the Admin CP. There is currently no option for users to sign up to get notifications on every new post in a forum. As I said before, this requires modifying the code.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                              The only option to do this is to manually add email address for new post/thread notifications in the Forum Manager section of the Admin CP. There is currently no option for users to sign up to get notifications on every new post in a forum. As I said before, this requires modifying the code.
                              Thanks, Steve. Forgive me for not quite understanding your post. Not being a regular user, or Administrator of a vb forum yet, I'm not quite sure what your saying. Are you saying that a person who has permission to access an Admin CP can add individuals' email addresses who will then be subscribed to all new posts in that forum? That's great!

Question: Are access rights to administration of vb tiered in any way? In other words, if I want to "deputize" a user to soley the role of adding users to a forum, can I give him a subset of the privileges to just the Forum Manager section, or does he get "master" rights to the entire vb installation?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X