Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Indexing

Hi all,

I'm considering purchase of vBulletin. My number 1 issue is whether posts made on vBullentin are indexed by Google.

I searched this forum and read other posts that indicated posts are indexed. But I'm not able to confirm that myself.

I go to google and search for:
    allinurl:http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php

And nothing comes up. It's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong and will welcome an education.

Thanks!

Google index all my threads on my site and I can search through them too.

http://www.google.com/search?domains...x=54&btnG.y=29

Comment

Same for me
      http://www.google.com/search?domains...x=54&btnG.y=29
      That's the end of that!

Comment

Google very likely indexes the Archive first, the clue is that there are no parameters in the URL, i.e. they are rewritten...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php/

vB3 comes out of the box with this neat-o feature
        www.MCSEboard.de
        German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

I'm here for the same reason as Phil - showing up in the search engines is my primary reason considering purchasing vbulletin.

I did a lot searches on a variety of forums for about two weeks. I would go to a forum, copy a phrase from a post, and then google for it in quotes. Most of these random phrases showed up with Google for most of the main forum packages. However, vBulletin forums appearing to have a slight edge over the others.

However, when I came here to show off vbulletin's "googleability", I tried copying and pasting phrases from this forum into google, and got no repsonses at all.

Is there some enhancement that you need to get indexed, or is it possible that this forum is somehow cloaked from googling?

Thanks

Comment

There is nothing I'm aware of that would prohibit Google from indexing these forums. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it yet.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Tanny
              [...] I go to google and search for:
              allinurl:http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php [...]
              Try

allinurl:www.vbulletin.com/forum

I get 204.000 results on that.

Comment

Steve - do you mean the forums here are new?

Icheb - I'm not sure the search you suggest is useful for what I'm talking about. I am talking about real-life phrases in forum posts to find results. For example I would copy from the above sentence, and then paste it into google to find results for "real-life phrases in forum posts" (I realize this example one won't work since it is only 2 seconds old.) But when I surf the web for vBulletin sites and search for phrases, some pop right up in the first listings, and others (like this site) do not show anything.

I'm going to do a lot of google searching today for more examples. But some sites show up time after time, and others do not show up at all. And the results that work go to the forum posts, and not the archives, btw.

Comment

Google search is not real time...

If you copy from a thread posted today google won't have it in its index.

Take a phrase from a posting which is some weeks old.
                  www.MCSEboard.de
                  German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

I know. I said in the post your are responding to that it was too new.

As I continue googling, I cannot find any phrase from this forum, no matter how old they are.

However, I continue to find phrases from other vbforums, and it appears that google only looks at the first two posts in any given thread.

Since my last post, I was taken to one site's archives, but so far, that is the first time. Every other successful hit has taken me directly to the active forums.

Comment

Some sites turn up as the archive, some show up as active posts.

How do you insure that google points to the active forum and not the archive?

I could post examples of each, but I don't want to break any of your rules here by posting specific URLs.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleclick
                        As I continue googling, I cannot find any phrase from this forum, no matter how old they are.
                        Not sure what exactly you are looking for but:
                        http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&n...om&safe=images
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Wayne-

I'm a lot smarter about this than I was when I posted earlier about this. I've googled my way into carpal tunnel, and armed with an excel spreadsheet, it seems that google will find the first two posts in a thread and ignore the rest. When I said I couldn't find any posts from this forum, I must have been pulling phrases from posts too far down the list.

Using this thread as an example, you can find the first post by entering this phrase in google, surrounded by quotes:

"My number 1 issue is whether posts made on vBullentin are indexed"

You can also find the second post in this thread with this:

"Google index all my threads on my site and"

However, subsequent posts are not found. I conclude then that Google just stops looking at a thread after the second post.

Incidentally, this isn't a bad thing. I am doing the same research for the other boards, and most posts in the other forum brands don't even show up at all.
                          Last edited by doubleclick; Mon 14 Jun '04, 8:41am.

Comment

How should Google distinguish between the second and third post? They would have to be able to recognize each and every possible style in each and every forum on the net, which is not feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleclick
                              Incidentally, this isn't a bad thing. I am doing the same research for the other boards, and most posts in the other forum brands don't even show up at all.
                              How many of those forums that don't show up have Google Adwords on them?

This would be a contributing factor as well. In my experience, most people who purchase vBulletin have the resources and the desire to make money with their sites. One of the most popular ways to do this is with Adwords.

Now if you show Adwords on a dynamic page, it is indexed after every page view in order to maintain keyword integrity. For this reason, sites with Adwords on the forum pages will be more likely to show up in the Google index and will show up faster than sites that rely on monthly updates.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X