Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering purchase, but a few questions

OK, here's my questions:
    1. Almost (maybe every?) Vbulletin site I've visited displays a 'quirk' when the browser first loads the page that seems to be caused by how the html or css handles the screen size i.e. every page element jumps around as the images find their correct size and the page layout sorts itself out. What is the cause of this? Can it be avoided by some template variation?
    I find the phenomenon *very* annoying.
    To compare with a non-Vbulletin forum, the behavior does *not* happen at:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/active.htm
    for example.

2. I'm unfamiliar with SQL DB maintenance and would like to know how difficult it is to maintain a busy site with regard to maintenance of the 'system'. How does one go about archiving-off old posts, 'pruning' and cleansing the databases in order to keep it 'lean and mean'.

3. Despite the latest version apparantly being heavilly recoded, I haven't yet seen a Vbulletin site that to me seems to be 'blazingly' fast - again, to compare, webmaster world site is one of the webs busiest forum sites, and *that* is a forum site that I find blazingly fast with regard to DB performance. (No, you can't yet purchase the software that runs webmaster world - if you could, I might not be about to purchase Vbulletin!!) What do I need in order to get it to run 'blazingly' fast? (no, I don't consider *this* site to be blazingly fast either).

4. I read the license is for one server, one web site, and that I understand, but if the site/idea that I have planned for it doesn't work out, I presume I'm free to de-install it from that web site and use it on another? And if the original idea doesn't work out and I want to sell the license, I can do that too?

5. If I wanted to purchase from an affiliate rather than the 'mothership' - is there a list of affilliates, or third party sellers anywhere?

Thanks,

1. Almost (maybe every?) Vbulletin site I've visited displays a 'quirk' when the browser first loads the page that seems to be caused by how the html or css handles the screen size i.e. every page element jumps around as the images find their correct size and the page layout sorts itself out. What is the cause of this? Can it be avoided by some template variation?
    I find the phenomenon *very* annoying.
    To compare with a non-Vbulletin forum, the behavior does *not* happen at:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/active.htm
    for example.
    I only have this problem when my connection is slowed down. I'm not sure exactly, but I think that it depends on the browser for this to happen. I don't think that there is an easy way to stop it.

2. I'm unfamiliar with SQL DB maintenance and would like to know how difficult it is to maintain a busy site with regard to maintenance of the 'system'. How does one go about archiving-off old posts, 'pruning' and cleansing the databases in order to keep it 'lean and mean'.
    Doing regular forum maintence is very simple. You can prune posts in the Administrative Control Panel. You can also repair and optimize SQL tables right from the Admin CP. The only thing that you really need to know how to do is to setup the configuration file upon first installation (which is explained in full inside the vBulletin Manual).

3. Despite the latest version apparantly being heavilly recoded, I haven't yet seen a Vbulletin site that to me seems to be 'blazingly' fast - again, to compare, webmaster world site is one of the webs busiest forum sites, and *that* is a forum site that I find blazingly fast with regard to DB performance. (No, you can't yet purchase the software that runs webmaster world - if you could, I might not be about to purchase Vbulletin!!) What do I need in order to get it to run 'blazingly' fast? (no, I don't consider *this* site to be blazingly fast either).
    The speed depends on the server you are on and how many people are on. But, vBulletin also incorporates features that will have an effect on performance. You can keep the CSS data in a file, rather than the system recreating it every time the page is called, which will allow the web browser to cache it and thus increase load times (this is not done here). You can also take advantage of the post caching feature which will cache a parsed version of the post (meaning that all of the BB/vB code has been turned into HTML making the threads appear more quickly). Another thing that you can do (if your server is configured properly) is enable GZip output which will compress the page size making it load quicker.

4. I read the license is for one server, one web site, and that I understand, but if the site/idea that I have planned for it doesn't work out, I presume I'm free to de-install it from that web site and use it on another? And if the original idea doesn't work out and I want to sell the license, I can do that too?
    You can have one live copy of the software where the public can come and post and view your forums. This copy can be uninstalled and changed around as much as you like as long as it is the only public copy of the software.

If I wanted to purchase from an affiliate rather than the 'mothership' - is there a list of affilliates, or third party sellers anywhere?
    Not that I know of.

You may also want to take a look at the vBulletin Manual to assist you in your decision.
    Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

Very helpful response Daemon - many thanks.

May I ask a supplementary question - and it relates to the speed issues.
      Since this (and the sister forum) are the 'public face' of VB - why on earth haven't they implemented the config things you detail in order to maximize the speed. What, in your opinion, are the 'cons' for implementing the things you list?

Cheers,

Comment

Since this (and the sister forum) are the 'public face' of VB - why on earth haven't they implemented the config things you detail in order to maximize the speed. What, in your opinion, are the 'cons' for implementing the things you list?
        As I am not an administrator on this site, I couldn't tell you the exact reasons. But, some of those features (GZip and Post Caching) come at a slight cost. GZipping comes at a slight server processing increase. And the post caching system basically stores two copies of every post which doubles the size of the post table. But I am lost on why they don't store the CSS data as a stylesheet, as it doesn't come at much cost--if any (that I know of, anyways).
        Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

We do use gzip and post caching, but not CSS as files.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The Admin Control Panel has the option to save the CSS as a file.

Comment

I don't think the question of the "page jumping" has been thoroughly addressed here. I am on a 3 Megabit connection, and I still have that issue.

Comment

Yes I agree - it's annoying, and ugly - like you used to see with sites 10 years ago. And this site doesn't to me seem fast - and I'm on broadband.

Cheers,

Comment

This site loads instanly for me. I am on broadband too.

Comment

The "page jumping" is probably caused by the fact that the images in vBulletin do not have their sizes defined. This causes some (most?) browsers to have to calculate the sizes needed for the space each image will occupy on the screen. What you're seeing is that calculating process take place. If this is indeed the cause (and I suspect it is), it can be resolved by finding out the sizes of all the images, then going thorugh all the templates and defining those sizes in the html.

I've noticed that once the forum has loaded, subsequent refreshes aren't as jumpy; most likely because the browser has cached the images with their sizes already calculated.
                    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X