Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What vbulletin has that phpbb and IPB don't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol actually i meant a link to the IPB site that states that after 30 days you have to buy.

Permanent use of the software requires purchasing the license.
    found it
    Originally Posted by Zachery
    John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
    We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...owtopic=122104

If we deem someone to be obviously violating the license agreement they agreed to when downloading the trial, we reserve the right to take whatever action we deem necessary against that site.
      ^^so far its clear

Q= Would someone running the trial version of IPB on a live website for two years obviously violate the current license?
      A= It depends whether they are still evaluating the software or not
      lol in other words, its an unlimited trial but its another trick to make you purchase the licence. just like there download page: http://www.invisionboard.com/download.cgi?subc=splash which is misleading, only a small trial link at the bottum
      Originally Posted by Zachery
      John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
      We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

So how the hell can you be evaluating software for two years?

Comment

Everythings possible :P.

Comment

I switched from phpbb to VB because I wanted certain features to be built into the software as opposed to having to spend a week MOD everything I want and risk breaking it with each MOD.

So far it has proven to be worth the money in the time I've saved by not having to search for MODs to do what I want (like the calendar, buddy list, ignore list, etc).

They had some pretty cool styles though, I'm sure Vb does also, if I ever find them... I hope VB's Styles/Skins are as easy to use as phpBB's are.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeName
              I switched from phpbb to VB because I wanted certain features to be built into the software as opposed to having to spend a week MOD everything I want and risk breaking it with each MOD.

So far it has proven to be worth the money in the time I've saved by not having to search for MODs to do what I want (like the calendar, buddy list, ignore list, etc).

They had some pretty cool styles though, I'm sure Vb does also, if I ever find them... I hope VB's Styles/Skins are as easy to use as phpBB's are.
              www.vbulletintemplates.com for free styles.

There are plenty "pay for skins" sites as well.

Comment

I'm over there now, thanks. It's kind of a slow process, registering on this board and that... could have done without all of that. Not to sound whiny but that phpbb style demo sure is sweet in comparison to this process, but I'm sure once I get the hang of it, it'll be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeName

Good choice .

Comment

Well to put in my 2 cents I came to vBulletin just recently after using phpBB version 2.0.8 (the latest version). In the past I had only used boards hosted else where, I really liked phpBB because I controlled how it was set up and could modify the layout and such just like a website, then I needed support. Well I got support, very rude support I might add. After asking them about why certain things wouldn't work and they kept saying it was my server blah blah blah I finally showed them that it wasn't my server and I got a very rude responce. They don't really care how you get treated in support there at all! I researched all over the web to find another board and came across IPB didn't like that much, saw the prices of others (up to $699.00) then tried the admin demo of vBulletin and asked some (okay ALOT of) questions in support. I "loved" the demo, way more features then anywhere else, easier to customize and the support I recieved even before my purchase was great! Even when I would've gotten nasty with myself for asking such stupid questions they were very polite and helpful.

All I can say is that you get great service at a great price and I wouldn't go any other way. I'm very happy so far.
                    D.Divine

Got a Boxer?
                    BoxerTalk

Comment

Originally posted by DarknessDivine
                      Well to put in my 2 cents I came to vBulletin just recently after using phpBB version 2.0.8 (the latest version). In the past I had only used boards hosted else where, I really liked phpBB because I controlled how it was set up and could modify the layout and such just like a website, then I needed support. Well I got support, very rude support I might add. After asking them about why certain things wouldn't work and they kept saying it was my server blah blah blah I finally showed them that it wasn't my server and I got a very rude responce. They don't really care how you get treated in support there at all! I researched all over the web to find another board and came across IPB didn't like that much, saw the prices of others (up to $699.00) then tried the admin demo of vBulletin and asked some (okay ALOT of) questions in support. I "loved" the demo, way more features then anywhere else, easier to customize and the support I recieved even before my purchase was great! Even when I would've gotten nasty with myself for asking such stupid questions they were very polite and helpful.

All I can say is that you get great service at a great price and I wouldn't go any other way. I'm very happy so far.
                      D.Divine
                      the phpbb website www.phpbb.com correct has awful support, but www.phpbbhacks.com/forums has excellent support.

the problem however is that with phpbb since all the developers are independant, they dont have to make their hacks mesh with another developers hack, so you may really want sub forums, but also want a shop hack , that doesnt mean that ou can get them to work.

i have had excellent experiance with phpbb, the reason im switching is for the look and feel of the site is more proffessional with vb, and the fact that i know that any hack i want will coincide with each other. i can also add subscriptions, which isnt possible(at the moment) with phpbb.

all in all if you are starting out and dont need a huge forum, or wont be adding that many (major) hacks.. tha i say go with phpbb, However if youre looking to take it to the next level , grow , expand and look proffessional. go with Vb.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X