Question about VB Search feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about VB Search feature

When I buy a vb license, will I need to learn how to use the search feature, or is it the exact same as an Internet search engine, such as google?

I ask because the type of board I'm planning on having will require a lot of searching by me and my members, and I'm going to need to type up a how-to to make a sticky for members. It seems like telling members to search for this or that, or doing searches for them, is taking up an awful lot of the mod's time. This is something I'd like to help with on the forums I presently frequent, and try to prevent on my own board.

Is there a place I can go that has an extensive explanation of all vb search features: wild card usage, etc.? And will I have the ability to specify mod powers, or are there certain levels that I can set for a particular mod, but not have the ability to modify the default power settings for each level?

Originally posted by Floris
    The search engine on this site can be used to see how it works on your site. Feel free to test it, there is also an admin demo so you can see how search is handled through the admin control panel.

vBulletin version 3 also comes with a FAQ manager, so you can write up your howto info and let users search through it.
    The search engine is useless to me if I don't know how it works. I don't know how to use vB logical separators (if any) or wild cars (if any). The ony thing I know is if I type one or more words I get hundreds of posts, most of which are not helpful for whatever it is I was searching.

I'm looking at the admin demo right now, and I'm not seeing anything that explains the search features. :-/

Comment

The search engine on this site can be used to see how it works on your site. Feel free to test it, there is also an admin demo so you can see how search is handled through the admin control panel.

vBulletin version 3 also comes with a FAQ manager, so you can write up your howto info and let users search through it.

Comment

The search is easier to use than Google.com. Why does this need documentation?

There are no logical operators or wildcards until vB3.1.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
          The search is easier to use than Google.com. Why does this need documentation?

There are no logical operators or wildcards until vB3.1.
          The board I'm wanting to write a how-to for (there are two) is and will be running vBulletin Version 3.18.

Comment

Erm, there is no 3.18?

Comment

Originally posted by alienspunk
              The board I'm wanting to write a how-to for (there are two) is and will be running vBulletin Version 3.18.
              Where can I download vBulletin 3.18?

Comment

alienspunk, please go here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/mem...t_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

If you still have problems after doing this, send an email to [email protected]. Please include your user name, the email address you registered with and your customer number so we can fix the problem.

Once you've done this, please post in the appropriate support forum for your version.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Why would he have a customer number if he hasn't bought the product?

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
                    Where can I download vBulletin 3.18?
                    Originally posted by Icheb
                    Erm, there is no 3.18?
                    The other day I saw 'vBulletin 3.1.8' available for download on Limewire. I didn't have time to download and see what that was all about. I don't think I would hazard a guess, either.

Comment

Well, for once, there is no 3.1.8 and it would be illegal to download it anywhere else than from vB's member's area.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X