Another licensing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another licensing question

Can I run two forums that use one database on the same domain? Reason being is one forum is hack free other will be running hacks.

The license allows you to create unlimited forums through the admincp. It does not permit you to run multiple copies of the vBulletin forum system (meaning having multiple instances of vBulletin files).
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Can someone from vB confirm this please?

Comment

Just why do you want to run a version that is hack-free
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

One to be professional, the other to be more fun based. Also if I dont like the way the hacked one is turning out I can just delete that forum.

Comment

I've found that hacks actually improve your overall quality of your site and can be viewed as more professional.

CodeHacks aka Hacks are implemented into a set of PHP files and therefore it will be universal. It would make changes to your database as well (certain ones)

I honestly don't see a point to it, but then again I might be short sighted at the moment.

I think you'll find that people actually enjoy little gizmos and gadgets they can play with. A classic example is the Quick Reply. It started out as a codehack by FireFly at vBulletin.org and it became a popular hack.

So popular that many professional sites installed it because it was a nifty tool.

Comment

Petz isnt exactly a professional hack

Comment

You might be able to hide the hacks via the templates.

Comment

version 3 of vBulletin has a database table prefix setting in the config.php file.
                  You could install 2 instances on one URL using 1 database. Set one config.php file table prefix to forum1_ and the other to forum2_ and install them.

Please note that each instance of vBulletin requires a license.

yoursite.com/forum1 (using database 1, installation forum1_<tables>) [license:1]
                  yoursite.com/forum2 (using database 2, installation forum2_<tables>) [license:1]

^--- 2 licenses required.

Comment

OK so I cant do what im after then

Thanks anyhow.

Comment

If I understand you correctly, and the above example that I gave was what you had in mind too, two instances, then two licenses are required if both sites are live sites

Comment

Ah I just re-read what you put. When I say one database im not talking about two different forums sharing one database. Im talking about having

www.domain.com/forums1/
                        and
                        www.domain.com/forums2/

But both are actually reading the same database, so same everything. Effectivly the files would be a mirror.

Comment

You can only have one set of vB files and one set of vB database files per license.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Those would be two sets of files, even 1 database, 2 instances are installed = 2 licenses required.

Comment

Instead of asking us whether you can do X, why not ask us exactly what you want and we'll tell you if it's possible.

For instance, do you want some users to have full access to extra features and other users to have basic access? If so, there is no reason to install 2 copies of vB3. You can do this with Usergroups. Also you can have subforums with a completely different design.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X