1 license and switching domain names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 license and switching domain names

I've read that you can purchase 1 license and down the road switch servers. My question is regarding switching domain names though. At the moment, I have a domain that I will be installing this on (if I do purchase). This is not the domain I truly want for this site and am waiting for the one I truly want to be released to me (should take place in a month or two). However, I want to get started on the forum now.

My question:
    With purchasing the 1 license, will I... be able to install the license on the domain I have now and then when I get the 2nd domain, uninstall the vBulletin on the 1st domain (of course exporting all threads, posts, users, etc) and then install it on the 2nd domain?

I know what some may be thinking... why not wait it out till I just get the 2nd domain. Answer is simple. I want to get started now. I will have the 2nd domain hosted with the same company as the 1st one (if that makes any difference).

Thanks in advance,
    Liz

Yes, you will just have to make the changes in the members area to suite.

You just can only run 1 copy on 1 domain at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery

Perfect! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by froubaby
        I've read that you can purchase 1 license and down the road switch servers. My question is regarding switching domain names though. At the moment, I have a domain that I will be installing this on (if I do purchase). This is not the domain I truly want for this site and am waiting for the one I truly want to be released to me (should take place in a month or two). However, I want to get started on the forum now.

My question:
        With purchasing the 1 license, will I... be able to install the license on the domain I have now and then when I get the 2nd domain, uninstall the vBulletin on the 1st domain (of course exporting all threads, posts, users, etc) and then install it on the 2nd domain?

I know what some may be thinking... why not wait it out till I just get the 2nd domain. Answer is simple. I want to get started now. I will have the 2nd domain hosted with the same company as the 1st one (if that makes any difference).

Thanks in advance,
        Liz
        to order to run 2 domains you need 2 copies - 2 licenses

Comment

If there is anything else please ask

Comment

Originally posted by andrew johnson
            to order to run 2 domains you need 2 copies - 2 licenses
            With the exception of parked domains that forward to the main domain account.

Comment

If there is anything else please ask
              Alright, how about this... I originally started a site to deal with one trinket, at, say, trinket#1.com. Now, I expended my site to five whole trinkets, so now I also have, say, 5wholetrinkets.com. Now, these both use the same forum, the same users, the same posts, etc. However, I don't want to get rid of the original one-trinket website because some users still go to that URL instead of the new one. Is it possible to run the same board on two URL's (ie. solving the problem without a redirect. I want to keep the old domain name.)

Comment

Hi Zachery,
                I think you can run one copy in one domain, for one database, only.
                In other words, you cannot purchase a license and run VB in the same domain, with several databases connected to same software.

Let me know if this is correct. Thanks.
                Floren Munteanu
                Axivo Inc.
                Axivo Searchlight - Turbocharge your web site

Comment

Correct, 1 domain, 1 set ot tables in the database, 1 set of files pointing to thoughs tables in the database. is the best way to describe it.

Comment

Hi
                    i am considering to make the same forum for different country. My country is small, only 5mil people and the 2nd is small too. I need to have different url and homepage, but database could be the same. It seems to me expensive pay and maintain two different forums for that small audience....
                    What is really i don't know, how will I show up in google if somebody will be looking for particular theme of the post. ... seems to me a problem with different domain at the end (.sk .cz) and only one archive....
                    Additionaly we have national search engines that dominate above google....

Do you think is there a solution for me with one license?

many thanks

Comment

Each installation of vBulletin will require it's own license.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I considered only one installation...

Comment

Working...
                        X