Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Links page cheats

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by floris
    http://AAA/ would result in a 404
    if you sort your site on URL.
    I meant using 'AAA' in the site description to bring it near the top. The point is that blocking non-alphanumeric characters doesn't keep people from doing something to put their site near the top of the list.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Brad.loo
      That makes it to hard to find what you are looking for.
      I don't see how

      They still have the categories (i.e. http://www.vbulletin.com/links.php?catid=14) but those displayed links are randomly ordered on each page load (effectively removing the problems with 'cheating' users).

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Rapid Gaming
        They still have the categories (i.e. http://www.vbulletin.com/links.php?catid=14) but those displayed links are randomly ordered on each page load (effectively removing the problems with 'cheating' users).
        And if you are looking for a specific forum because you know you saw it there before and lost the URL? What happens then? Hit reload 50 times until it randomly shows on the page?
        Translations provided by Google.

        Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          And if you are looking for a specific forum because you know you saw it there before and lost the URL? What happens then? Hit reload 50 times until it randomly shows on the page?
          Include a search tool where you can search using the forum name, forum address, or forum description perhaps? Nevertheless there could (maybe) be a feature where you can save the current randomized layout as a cookie (unique id) then the layout can be selected the the database? I dunno.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Steve Machol
            I meant using 'AAA' in the site description to bring it near the top. The point is that blocking non-alphanumeric characters doesn't keep people from doing something to put their site near the top of the list.
            Not an issue if you sort on the URL rather then the description.

            [url] [title]
            [description]

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by floris
              Not an issue if you sort on the URL rather then the description.

              [url] [title]
              [description]
              That's probably the best way to do this.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

              Steve Machol Photography


              Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by floris
                Not an issue if you sort on the URL rather then the description.

                [url] [title]
                [description]
                Although, as you said, if wildcarded dns is activated they could put http://aaa.domain.com/forums.

                Comment

                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X