X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Z
    replied
    Originally posted by ShiningArcanine
    vBulletin can be hacked to support other databases. All of the queries are in an external file if I recall. A few changes and you can support other databases.

Makes me wonder if supporting other databases was one of the orignal goals of vB3 but then put off for a later version. Perhaps this is how the devs plan to port vB to other databases.
    The queries are throughout the code, hence why no official support for other RDBMSs. The database class is an extra file, however. Changing the class would not fix all the issues of switching to another RDBMS, as most queries are optimized specifically for MySQL, and therefore, you would need to go through most of the files and change the queries.

Leave a comment:

• ShiningArcanine
    replied
    vBulletin can be hacked to support other databases. All of the queries are in an external file if I recall. A few changes and you can support other databases.

Makes me wonder if supporting other databases was one of the orignal goals of vB3 but then put off for a later version. Perhaps this is how the devs plan to port vB to other databases.

Leave a comment:

• _| () R | Z
    replied
    i also browsed the board and noticed that:
    1.- their board is being host by a 3rd party
    2.- non of the admins are active
    3.- url of hosting comp at the bottum doesnt work

Leave a comment:

• trackpads
    replied
    An "ouch" is in order...

Leave a comment:

• RichM
    replied
    Hmm, http://forums.kylie.com/viewtopic.php?p=31167#31167

Leave a comment:

• trackpads
    replied
    "That competition has nothing to do with Jelsoft."

Plausible deniability in action

http://www.vbulletin.com/links.php (Looks official...)
    Last edited by trackpads; Wed 7 Jan '04, 9:23am.

Leave a comment:

• poolking
    replied
    Originally posted by trackpads
    Me neither, I actually use 5 different phpbb installs on my server (3 on my main site alone). It is a good, and as Lumina deflty put it, a free program. But it is nothing compared to the sheer complexity and design of VB. Plus, if you already have doled out the $$ for something like VB...

I only ask because in the December VBOTM contest a Website actully was nominated for VBOTM and switched back to phpbb aswell.

Lets hope someone at VB notices this.... ;-)
    That competition has nothing to do with Jelsoft.

Leave a comment:

• Rusche
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie Argueta
    lol

I just visited Kylie.com and I realiced that they are gonna keep the vB for a while specially to make the transition soft.

I preffer vB, for me the phpBB looks more for kids... like this

See Ya
    Well thats merely a blunt generlisation and also, that can be done easily with vb

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Argueta
    replied
    Originally posted by DarkSSJ3
    lets all just spam this thread. Then it oughta be noticed
    lol

I just visited Kylie.com and I realiced that they are gonna keep the vB for a while specially to make the transition soft.

I preffer vB, for me the phpBB looks more for kids... like this

See Ya

Leave a comment:

• Mephisteus
    replied
    lets all just spam this thread. Then it oughta be noticed

Leave a comment:

• trackpads
    replied
    Me neither, I actually use 5 different phpbb installs on my server (3 on my main site alone). It is a good, and as Lumina deflty put it, a free program. But it is nothing compared to the sheer complexity and design of VB. Plus, if you already have doled out the $$ for something like VB...

I only ask because in the December VBOTM contest a Website actully was nominated for VBOTM and switched back to phpbb aswell.

Lets hope someone at VB notices this.... ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Raz Meister
    replied
    Actually, after having a look at the forum, I doubt they switched because of the MySQL issue. They don't have that many posts.

Leave a comment:

• rrottman
    replied
    Luckily the Kylie.com reference is still sitting neatly on vbulletin.com's index page, leading customer straightly into the arms of competition. Hey, marketing, are you reading here?

:-)

Leave a comment:

• Lumina
    replied
    Because phpBB is free?

Leave a comment:

• rrottman
    replied
    Just to prevent misunderstanding: It's not been my intention to start a "why did they do it"-research. :-)

I just wanted to point out that vB Sales might think about eliminating Kylie.com as one of ther top selling references on such a prominent place like their homepage index page.

Potential customers might follow the Kylie.com link and learn, that Kylie.com just switched to "competition".

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X