License question about duplicate files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License question about duplicate files

I'm not certain if this is the proper forum, but I'll ask it here, anyways.

I'm curious if it would be acceptable under the license to switch some vB display files (e.g. faq.php) and copy the essential include files to a different server from the one the forums are on. Only include files would be duplicated and it would all be running off of the same database (we have a separate DB server).

Thanks.
    MTG Salvation.com | Forums

Why would you be doing that? Is it to take the lag off of your main forum server or something? I think if it's running on the same domain or something like that and you ARE in fact a licensed customer that it wouldnt' be a problem but then again I could be wrong, it has happend once before in my life.

Comment

Pretty much. We have a decent server that hosts our forums but it's not as reliable as our server for the main site.

Also, some pages, like the faq one, simply make more sense when placed at site.com/faq/ than at forums.site.com/faq.php if we're going to be using it for the entire site.

Comment

Not sure what you are planning but if any of the vB files are being run on more than one server or duplicated, then this would technically be a violation of the license agreement. Honestly I don't see how much you can accomplish by putting faq.php on another server since the info is actually in the database.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Not sure what you are planning but if any of the vB files are being run on more than one server or duplicated, then this would technically be a violation of the license agreement. Honestly I don't see how much you can accomplish by putting faq.php on another server since the info is actually in the database.
          On the other hand Steve, say you run a busy forum and require two webservers w/ load balancing and a seperate dedicated db server. Would you need three licenses then? IMHO as far as Is ee it, provided it's one forum availible to the public, that is what I assume to be an installation (not the files on each server).
          Last edited by okrogius; Thu 18th Dec '03, 4:59am.

Comment

Which is why I said 'technically'. I really don't undertand the issue of using two web servers for load balancing. It seems to be you'd be better off using one server for MySQL and one as the web server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

We do, in fact, already use one server for MySQL, one as the forums webserver and one as the webserver for the main site.

We get serious traffic on our forums server several times a year for a few weeks and the forums webserver really feels the heat, so it might not be a bad idea to transfer a few files that would be part of the regular site to the main server.

Thanks for your response, though .

Comment

You would not violate the licence agreement with a split-server enviroment.

The vBulletin files reside on one server, the database on another.

Load balancing is another issue, and most probably would be a violation of the agreement. Though anyone with enough visitors to justify that would most probably be able to negioate a different licence agreement with Jelsoft..

Comment

I remember either Scott or Steve saying that really it boils down to "One instance of a vB database running." I believe you can have as many sets of vB files on various servers as long as they all tie into the same/one database.
                  Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Actually what I've always said is - one set of vB files on one server with one set of vB database tables.

I still don't understanding exactly what is being proposed. If there is only one instance of each vB file then this is not a problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

What I'd be doing would have one instance of each vB file accessible by vistors, but I'm pretty sure that there would be include files that I would need to duplicate.

Comment

I still don't know specifically what you mean but I doubt this would be considered a serious violation.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You probably need to understand the code to understand what I'm talking about .

Alright, thanks.

Comment

Steve, what he's saying is the files reside on multiple servers but are only accessible through one place, say mtgnews.com. They reside on multiple servers for load balancing purposes. Each server is essentially a mirror of the other(s) in the group. AFAIK in the past we have had no problem with this.

Comment

Pretty much. We'd have files at forums.mtgnews.com on our forums server and mtgnews.com for our main server .

Comment

Working...
                              X