Worst BB ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst BB ever

I downloaded vbullentin from a friend who told me about it (He is a paying member might i add). I wanted to try out the BB and see what it was like. I feel vbulletin is a copy of Invision Power Board but you have to pay!
    Questions:
    1. Cost - Why do you have to pay? I can get a better BB from Invision for free!
    2. The admin CP: I found the Admin CP hard to nav. And I could not find a link to it on the forums index!

I think i will stick with Invision Power Board, unless you give me some good reasons to by this BB.

Go ahead and stick with IPB, your choice, we are not forcing you to pay. I personally won't use anything else.

And i think your friend is 'pirating' and you don't seem like the kind of guy to take out the call home code, so i think your friends license might get revoked.

As for why do we pay?

1) We get priority support, even if it's 3:30AM
    2) We get a solid product
    3) We know it won't just disappear, like IPB can, and be stuck with no updates
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

vBulletin is templates are way ezier to change, the sytle manager is wonderfull, in vb3 we have template conditionals which are awsome and vb2-3 will run IBP into the ground anyday

the ACP is way better than IPB IMO either vb2 or vb3

Comment

Well thanks for sharing that with us... just asking tho', how can vB be a copy of IPB when vB was around long before IPB was? *rolls eyes*

I personally have used both vB and IPB and like vBulletin much better - hence I am using it. That said, if you want to stick to IPB then by all means do so. Your choice.

Comment

Chronologically speaking, IBP came after vBulletin so it is absolutely idiotic to suggest that vB is a copy of IBP.

If that weren't enough, in order to fully enjoy all of the perks of being a licensed IBP owner, you are required to pay a fee with their software as well. So IBP is not entirely "free" per se.

Finally, the arrogant tone of this thread makes me hope that you don't buy a copy of vB, Faceman. I'd hate to see a request for technical support composed by you if this one is any indication of how it might come off.

Comment

Umm...maybe your friend should not be sharing commericial software

Comment

you get support from me at 3:30am too

Comment

vB is way easier to skin, and I find the admin CP way better then IPB's. To me, vB is like a nice solid product while IPB is fisher-price.

And its great support, friendly mods (unlike some of the know-it-all mods over at IPB) and vB doesn't delete threads when they include a sentence about their competitors.

Comment

you get more or less 24/7 support in the vB2 forums.

and in the vB3 its pretty decent.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

will someone hold me while I cry?

~snif~
                    Webmaster:
                    @forumz

Comment

as long as i can come back and hang out in hawaii with you

Comment

Originally posted by Martin
                        will someone hold me while I cry?

~snif~
                        It's going to be alright, man. You'll get through this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chroder
                          vB is way easier to skin, and I find the admin CP way better then IPB's. To me, vB is like a nice solid product while IPB is fisher-price.

And its great support, friendly mods (unlike some of the know-it-all mods over at IPB) and vB doesn't delete threads when they include a sentence about their competitors.
                          yeh i dont like that one bit
                          but i think its down to the fact that invision really isn't better then even
                          Vbulletin 2 as of yet

altho they have some features it has some features that i sorely miss in Vb
                          and their hacking support is a bit (N)

they release too many new releases too fast which makes web developers have to create skins all over again and
                          hack makers remake all of the hacks

for example Vb2 series has got the biggest hack archive available anywhere
                          for any bulletin board, and has better hacks aswell

sure they get the easy hacks like stats and things out
                          but what about something on par with Futereals arcade hack
                          Mysql 4 powered search hack ,( means that the search engine requires no index but searches out of the actual forum tables)
                          Vb Stats by Bane
                          Paypal intergration hack
                          Lesanes store hack
                          Multiple attachments
                          Signature image system

i mean they dont even have a standard way to add Bbcode via Admin cp
                          and on top as everyone says their skinning system is such a pain to use
                          if you are serious about site design then look into Vbulletin simple as
                          rugs|cheap rugs|modern rugs|shaggy rugs|traditional rugs

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                            you get more or less 24/7 support in the vB2 forums.

and in the vB3 its pretty decent.
                            Yup, but the vB3-support from our community members is less than the vB2-support for the simple reasons that vB3 is still in beta, and vB3-hacks are not yet allowed on vb.org.

I reckon that in 3 months from now, vB3-support on these forums by normal members (ie. not Staff / vB Team) will be just as active and helpful as vB2 support currently is.

Comment

Man IPD is made for newbs. Obviously thats all you are capable of using :-p
                              Come chat with vBulletin fans, enthusiasts, official staff, and team members @ irc chat
                              Server: irc.vBulletin.nl
                              port: 6667

#vBfans, #vBorg,

1. vBulletin.nl -Nov '03- Competion Winner

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X