This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you should make free forums

Some Places have free forums like http://hyperboards.com this Buletin should make free boards for not so professional websites do you have the funding's for that??

A business plan involving free products is not often a good business plan.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

If you want to look cheep, then by all means go get a FREE bulletin board. As for professional then you have to opt fot the best and that for most people is by the way of paying for a vbulletin license.
      sigpic
      SocialSpace.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica_k
        Some Places have free forums like http://hyperboards.com this Buletin should make free boards for not so professional websites do you have the funding's for that??
        This software should not be free. vBulletin wouldnt be the software it is if it were free. The entire Jelsoft team is a team made of great programers who get paid to create this software. Money is a wonderful insentive to work on something, and work well. I have NOT seen any "free" board compare in features, style, or security, as vB offers. The vB team will have ANY security bug within hours of being reported. I have seen critical security bugs go unfixed for days, and once even a week at a time, in PHPbb, and Invision Power Board. Having a site that is ran by Invision Power Board, PHPBB, or any of these other "free" boards, is saying that the webmaster doesnt give a **** about its users and that is a site i do not want to be apart. Why should the Jelsoft team work their asses off to create a top quality product just to give it to you for free? That makes no sense. Oh yes that wonderful "open source". Now, in my opinion, if you make it, you can choose to do whatever the f*** with it. Charge whatever you want. Kier and the rest of the team have spent uncountable hours not only writing this software, but also giving tech support. I own more than one license myself, and plan on buying more soon.
        Come chat with vBulletin fans, enthusiasts, official staff, and team members @ irc chat
        Server: irc.vBulletin.nl
        port: 6667

#vBfans, #vBorg,

1. vBulletin.nl -Nov '03- Competion Winner

Comment

I'm nitpicking, but forums may well be free regardless of what software they run on, but making vBulletin free to use isn't an option. Instead they offer the possibility to lease the licence to use it for those that can't afford to buy the licence.

Historically, there was a Lite version, but it has been discontinued.
          Toddler from Hell

Comment

If you are looking for free forum software, this certainly isn't the place. However, vBulletin has the fastest and highest quality development in the "forum sector" and is by far (In my opinion) the best forum software out there.

However, if you are on a short budget, I'd recommend iKonBoard. They have a high quality of support and software for being free, and is considered the best perl board avaliable.

As far as I know, they also have a free-hosted version of their software called MyiKonBoard. I don't know much about MyiKonBoard, though.

When you get larger and get the money together, I'd recommend that you upgrade to vBulletin.

I hope this helps!
            | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
            |
            Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion
              I'm nitpicking, but forums may well be free regardless of what software they run on, but making vBulletin free to use isn't an option. Instead they offer the possibility to lease the licence to use it for those that can't afford to buy the licence.

I don't think the license agreement allows third partys to lease vb in their services.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
                I don't think the license agreement allows third partys to lease vb in their services.
                I think he might be referring to the $85 1 year leased licence option.

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
                  I think he might be referring to the $85 1 year leased licence option.
                  Yup, that he was.
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion

If you want vB Lite, go download phpBB or Invision Power Board. Basically the same thing. They prolly have less features tho. lol
                    Come chat with vBulletin fans, enthusiasts, official staff, and team members @ irc chat
                    Server: irc.vBulletin.nl
                    port: 6667

#vBfans, #vBorg,

1. vBulletin.nl -Nov '03- Competion Winner

Comment

Oh yes brilliant idea! They should also make a free operating system, maybe a free computer for me, oh and if possible could provide me with some free food. C'mon, it's $160, or even the $85 1 yr license is good. Trust me, it's better than the rest.

Comment

Enough. There are free alternatives available if you want them. vBulletin is commercial software and will remain that way.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X