Vbulletin Staff Please Read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vbulletin Staff Please Read!

Hi im Paris Holley from hotboydesignz.com and pixel-lab.net ... I would mind you to fix your admin demo for this is what people reported to me when it was shown to me. If possible please take any actions (if possible) toward TwistidProjects.com .

<Offending language and image removed>
    Last edited by Steve Machol; Wed 9 Jul '03, 3:29pm.

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo/reset.php

Comment

Sorry about that. One of the disadvantages of having an actual live demonstration of the Admin CP is that any idiot can come in and ruin it for everyone else. We have the demo set to automatically reset itself several times a day because of this, but there's no easy way to make this demo easily accessible to everyone yet keep out the idiots.

And please note this is not 'hacking'. Because this is a live admin demo, anyone can go in and change it. It doesn't take any hacking or skill at all.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        We have the demo set to automatically reset itself several times a day because of this, but there's no easy way to make this demo easily accessible to everyone yet keep out the idiots.
        Haven't people suggested to edit the vBulletin code so that it always places "Is this page stuffed up? Click here to fix it." at the bottom of every page loaded?

Then it doesn't matter how much these so called "hackers" or "idiots" play with the templates, they can never remove that message.

Comment

then you would get people who reset it every 2 minutes making the admindemo worthless.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Do you guys have a cron running to reset it at least every 12 hours or so ?

Comment

Yes there is a cron to reset this although I don't know what the time interval is.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Just such a shame that users think they are teh bomb if they hack (cough) a public 'demo' which provides the user/pass

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  then you would get people who reset it every 2 minutes making the admindemo worthless.
                  perhaps - but the reset link is hardly a secret... it's posted all over the forums...

maybe change the code so it logs the IP of the person and makes it so they can only reset once per x minutes? Sure people can get around this - but it will slow them down

Comment

They could also make it so that you need to create an account on the board, and require e-mail validation to get the admin password....When the account is created, have it mail and address, or add it to a seperate db. Ban those people...and eventually it'll work nicely

Comment

Anyone who gets logged for defacing it gets an apache ban and an email to their ISP abuse department.

I've sent off 4 emails so far and theres 8 IP's banned atm.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X