Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sophocle
    replied
    Thank you for this tip Okrogius. I've just another question. If www.vbulletin-fr.com is unofficial, how can we ask our members for telling us their username and password ? We have no abilitation to receive those informations. We would take a big risk to engage our responsability. Also, users would take a risk. How can we certify them we won't use their username and password ?

I thought it was possible to check email adress. It would be less difficult to ask members for such a common information and there is a database of emails who have access to this forum. It's the system www.vbulletin.org uses.

Leave a comment:

• okrogius
    replied
    Actually you might be able to determine whether a user is licensed or not.

Prompt the user for customer id/password, then without storing that anywhere open a url
    Code:
    http://username:[email protected]/members/
    Then you can determine if use is licensed, or not, by the size of the page you get (just check the size of wrong password page and then do an if statement checking if it matches or not).

Leave a comment:

• Sophocle
    replied
    I didn't know the licence agreement limited distribution of hacks only to registered users. Many users distribute hacks on unofficial forums. Is it forbidden ? They can't be sure of there members.
    The only hack forum which can check licences is vb.org of course.

For www.vbulletin-fr.com, we can't certify our members are licencees. Corbu, the webmaster, sent many mails to create an official vbulletin french website but it's not in the team priorities www.vbulletin-fr.com is respecting copyright and tries to struggle against piracy but we have no tool to be sure our members have a licence. You could create a script for unofficial sites to check licences (with email checks).

All french vbulletin support forums are unofficial. Why not creating one ?

Edited to change the site name
    Last edited by Sophocle; Mon 12 May '03, 12:57pm.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    As long as you're not distributing any vB files (hacked or otherwise) then this would be fine.

Just out of curiousity, how do you know the members accessing your hacks are actually licensed?

Leave a comment:

• Sophocle
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    I'm confused. How exactly would you distribute this hack and in what form?
    I'm sorry, I hadn't seen your post before replying. I would distribute this hack on www.vbulletin.org and www.vbulletin-fr.com, just like another hack. I don't see any limitation in the licence for hack distribution and I think this hack is not different from another.

I would distribute a double hack :

I. One manual hack first
    With :
    - readme.txt explaining the mecanism of the hack and most important files to translate (index.php, db_mysql, functions, adminfunctions...)
    - a file entitled filename_trad.txt per file of the admin, with search and replace instructions.
    - a query file to change tables setting and settinggroup

II. One auto-install hack
    Uploaded in the admin folder, this patch would automaticaly open each file and change the english expressions. It would also make the database modification. The user could select the files he wants to translate in the first step. Second step for editing files (perhaps divided into 2 or 3 steps depending on the time spent in each edition). Third step for reporting troubles. Fourth step for updating database.

I know my request is very special. I must repeat this hack wouldn't change any vbulletin protection against counterfeit. I think I could also insert a check in the auto-install hack in order to make sure the verification codes are present in index.php and doformiddle function.
    Last edited by Sophocle; Mon 12 May '03, 12:42pm.

Leave a comment:

• Sophocle
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1
    The settings themselves are stored in the database and can easily be translated. The rest is evilly hard-coded and unless you want to do a lot of file editing there's nothing you can legally do.
    It's exactly what I want to do. It's the only way I found to do this hack legally. The translation of the settings is done by a little patch.

For the translation of files, I make one hack per file with a lot of search / replace. I think I'm gonna automate installation for users with a big patch for new installations. It's not so hard to create a search / replace script which will make the job.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I'm confused. How exactly would you distribute this hack and in what form?

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    The settings themselves are stored in the database and can easily be translated. The rest is evilly hard-coded and unless you want to do a lot of file editing there's nothing you can legally do.

Leave a comment:

• Sophocle
    replied
    I'm talking about vb 2.3.0. I've forgotten to make the precision in my PS
    For v3, I know the language packs will permit good translations. But we don't know the definitive date of ending... Many french users don't speek english so well and I think it's very important for them to have a translated cp (at least settings and left frame).

Leave a comment:

• Princess Nikida
    replied
    If I remember correctly, the VB 3.0 Admin Control Panel uses / can use the language packs that you create / install. Since VB Users will be able to download their language packs and distribute them (allowing people with vbulletin to upload it to their forums), this may be the solution you are looking for...

Leave a comment:

• Sophocle
    started a topic CP translation

CP translation

I've read a lot of discussions about a prohibition of cp translation. It would be impossible to distribute any kind of cp translation because it would create 2 problems :
    - a spy trouble : the license code couldn't be put in the files like admin/index.php
    - a copyright trouble : the people who have a license have the autorisation to distribute hacks but can't copy the complete files (=counterfeit).

I'm currently working hard to translate vB Control Panel for french users and would like to distribute not the files translated but a hack to translate each file (one hack per file) and all the settings and settinggroups.
    I think my suggestion is good and wouldn't cause any of the troubles I mentionned before :
    - the hack would respect calls to version.js
    - I will never copy an entire file but just lines I need to translate, like in many other hacks

I've studied the licence agreement and haven't found any limitation about hacking specifically the control panel, so I would be very surprised if the team did forbid a translation hack of the Control Panel. Before distributing such a hack widely, I prefer having your opinion about this problem.

PS : I know vbulletin will come soon but we don't know exactly the date and my work could make next translations more simple.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X