Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin vs..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vBulletin vs..

    I started up a conversation at Anandtech Forums about them switching to vBulletin.

    here

    I was asked "Sengir, what are some examples of forums with the traffic that AnandTech forums have? 2500-4000 simultaneous users, 6 million messages. I'd like to see them"

    I thought when I posted that I had been in a forum the size of Anandtech.. But I haven't. (Will come clean on that soon..) I was wondering if anybody knew of a forum that size using vBulletin and how well it performed??

    I prefer the use of vB by far over Anandtech's current forum.


    Thanks.
    Last edited by Sengir; Mon 20 Jan '03, 12:34am.

  • #3
    Originally posted by Michael2
    I don't know of any off the top of my head but look through this thread, you'll probably find several...

    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=47430
    Thanks! I'll look.. I figure it will be hard heh..

    Comment


    • #4
      Hmmmm... Personally, I have never seen more than 600 people at Anandtech in the three years I have been visiting the site at any given time.
      Translations provided by Google.

      Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

      Comment


      • #5
        If the claims stated are true, MySQL cannot handle that many simultaneous connections, at least not off the shelf. vBulletin is built to scale but can only go as far as MySQL is able to.

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by tubedogg
          If the claims stated are true, MySQL cannot handle that many simultaneous connections, at least not off the shelf. vBulletin is built to scale but can only go as far as MySQL is able to.
          Hmm I take it vBulletin can't use a different backend database..

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by Sengir
            Hmm I take it vBulletin can't use a different backend database..
            It can. forums have custimized the scripts to use sybase before.

            Support for other DB's are planned after v3 is released.

            Comment


            • #8
              vBulletin CAN handle different Backend Systems
              Did you see the MySQL Database class?
              Its just the case, that there is no other Database System than MySQL available yet.
              And I think MySQL 4 IS able to handle that much connections. Well, tell me if not, but I guess it is

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Hmmmm... Personally, I have never seen more than 600 people at Anandtech in the three years I have been visiting the site at any given time.
                Ditto. Of course, who knows... it's not like FuseTalk tracks this information.
                Chen Avinadav
                Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

                גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

                Comment


                • #10
                  FuseTalk don't tracks the busiest day, but it tracks the count of the current online users. But I guess vB is much better
                  (BTW: FuseTalk looks... awful )
                  Well, I dunno the Administrative Site of the Script, but maybe there are some stats.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by XTJ7
                    FuseTalk don't tracks the busiest day, but it tracks the count of the current online users. But I guess vB is much better
                    (BTW: FuseTalk looks... awful )
                    Well, I dunno the Administrative Site of the Script, but maybe there are some stats.
                    That's what I'm saying (Anandtech forums looks aweful) & isn't as easy to navigate..

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      okay everyone go register here and

                      http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=958052

                      reply to this thread





                      *LOL


                      and thats it


                      heh

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by tubedogg
                        If the claims stated are true, MySQL cannot handle that many simultaneous connections, at least not off the shelf. vBulletin is built to scale but can only go as far as MySQL is able to.
                        Can you estimate what the top-end would be, in terms of scalability.
                        Our forum usage has been spiking near 600 concurrent users lately, and the server is BARELY handling it.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          If you wish to scale higher, you need to move to two servers, one for mysql and one for the webserver.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by Sengir
                            I started up a conversation at Anandtech Forums about them switching to vBulletin.

                            here

                            I was asked "Sengir, what are some examples of forums with the traffic that AnandTech forums have? 2500-4000 simultaneous users, 6 million messages. I'd like to see them"

                            I thought when I posted that I had been in a forum the size of Anandtech.. But I haven't. (Will come clean on that soon..) I was wondering if anybody knew of a forum that size using vBulletin and how well it performed??

                            I prefer the use of vB by far over Anandtech's current forum.


                            Thanks.
                            a few days ago i handled a support ticket for a vB client who has 2 separate vB forums with 1500-5000+ users online simultaneously and needed help with some mysql tuning on 1 of the servers, the other handles the load fine

                            both his servers are Quad 2.8ghz Xeons with 8 or 16GB memory

                            of course Anandtech uses several load balanced web servers and dedicated database servers

                            most large vBs will need more than 1 server
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

                            Comment

                            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X