How can you tell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell...

If a site is running an illegal vB? I mean if it is illegal, it is just because they don't have a license, everything else would be the same wouldn't it? So how would you tell if a vB is illegal or not...

well, most illegal sites dont have the latest version... (not always the case because of an owned license)

and not many personal forums with little members have a license...

its imposible to tell, just report it and if it gets shut down its not legal
    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

It is just impossible to tell if a site is running a legal or illegal version of vBulletin.

From the forum rules:
      Reporting a suspected pirated copy of vBulletin

Please do not post suspected copies of vBulletin on these forums. If you suspect that a forum is using an illegal copy of vBulletin, please email the full URL to the forums (not the site's home page) to [email protected]

All sites sent to this address will be added to our anti-piracy database and will be investigated. The name of the person submitting the report will always remain confidential.

We will be unable to respond with whether this site is properly licensed or not, or our actions, for privacy reasons.
      Hope this helps you.

Comment

Oh Ok. I just wanted to know if there really is a way to tell whether it is legal or illegal but I can understand it is impossible.

Comment

There is one way that will always work. If you can get access to the admin CP, look at the top frame. If it does not show you what the latest version, it's pirated.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

That would work, but what about someone who had a leased license, and kept the file and is using it illegally?

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
              There is one way that will always work. If you can get access to the admin CP, look at the top frame. If it does not show you what the latest version, it's pirated.
              No it doesn't mean that. Anyone could be using a leased license with expired right to updates that they didn't renew.

Comment

Filburt1 means that if the version check is missing (and your browser does scripting correctly) someone has removed the parts that call home to Jelsoft.
                Toddler from Hell

Comment

Originally posted by N9ne
                  That would work, but what about someone who had a leased license, and kept the file and is using it illegally?
                  True, at that point there is no real way to find out and you'll probably want to report it to [email protected] or [email protected] . I bet though that Jelsoft doesn't care as much about those users since they did already give Jelsoft money. I bet they'd rather go after the people who just download a hacked version, or even worse distribute the hacked versions.
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

If I ever do suspect an illegal vB, I will go ahead and report it to [email protected] or [email protected], but thank you all for the prompt and informative replies.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X