vBulletin.com forgets cookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin.com forgets cookies

For the past few days I've had to re-login every time I visit the site. No changes have been made to my system (unless behind my back!), and cookies are working everywhere else, including other vB sites. My CP settings are fine, with cookies active, etc...

Is something going on, maybe something related to the latest update?

One other curiosity: when I search for new threads, after a full day, I was getting 0 results. Just now, I only got 2. I haven't been on since yesterday afternoon. I'm finding these results odd.
    Last edited by Arkham; Thu 4th Apr '02, 7:23am.

I am not having any trouble what so ever.
    The only thingy I run into from time to time, is when I have clicked on 'mark this forum as read', then when I browse another board and return to index, it again shows up as 'new', but when I check the board, nothing new.
    I never had any cookie, inlog/outlog problems. Maybe your cookie got corrupted? Or your browser blocks it?

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
      The only thingy I run into from time to time, is when I have clicked on 'mark this forum as read', ... I never had any cookie, inlog/outlog problems. Maybe your cookie got corrupted? Or your browser blocks it?
      I haven't Marked-as-read for a while. I'll delete my cookies again and try that.

It's only happening on this forum, and only since the past week or so. There haven't been any system changes here, so I doubt it's being blocked.

Comment

I tried this:

- Deleted cookies, shut down IE, then re-loaded IE
        - returned here, logged in, read messages, then closed IE
        - Came back, and was still prompted to log in

Any variation I try still gives the same result. vbulletin.org works, others work, so why this site doesn't work is beyond me. (

Could this be in any way related to the specific version that's being used here?

EDIT: A-HA! Netscape works. Funny, since IE's settings (security, cookies) seem to be in order, but vbulletin.com just refuses to 'stick'. Hrm.
        Last edited by Arkham; Thu 4th Apr '02, 8:04am.

Comment

IE6, right? That browser seems to have frequent cookie problems and the only way to fix them is to manually delete the cookies. Don't let the browser do it.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
            IE6, right? That browser seems to have frequent cookie problems and the only way to fix them is to manually delete the cookies. Don't let the browser do it.
            No, 5.5.

AFTER I tried NS, I returned here with IE (freshly loaded), and I was recognized. But later today or tomorrow it'll probably fail again.

If I find anything interesting I'll post it. Until then I'll deal with it. <Sigh!>

Thanks for your help, guys!

Comment

Most of the problems I've read about are with IE 6.0. Nonetheless did you try manually deleing all the cookies for vbulletin.com and www.vbulletin.com?
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                Most of the problems I've read about are with IE 6.0. Nonetheless did you try manually deleing all the cookies for vbulletin.com and www.vbulletin.com?
                Yep. Manually deleted all cookies.

Comment

Re: vBulletin.com forgets cookies

Originally posted by Arkham
                  For the past few days I've had to re-login every time I visit the site. No changes have been made to my system (unless behind my back!), and cookies are working everywhere else, including other vB sites. My CP settings are fine, with cookies active, etc...

Is something going on, maybe something related to the latest update?

One other curiosity: when I search for new threads, after a full day, I was getting 0 results. Just now, I only got 2. I haven't been on since yesterday afternoon. I'm finding these results odd.
                  I have the same problem, but I have had to do this for the last 2 weeks.

Not sure why
                  PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

I think its gr8 !

I log in and use the board on http://vbulletin.com , however when I want to view the board and not update my session I use http://www.vbulletin becuase for some reason the cookie (my login one) is not recognised.

Hope that makes sence
                    Email: [email protected]
                    Site: Under Construction

Comment

Logged in this morning, wasn't on this weekend:

I was recognised, but "View New" Just gave me 10 or so threads. That's not right - there was a whole weekend of posts. I had to log out and select View Today's Active Threads to get any substantial result.

This is really what bugs me, not the login problem: Having to manually go out of my way to find enough new posts.

Please tell me that vB3 will finally allow arbitrary New scans, i.e. in search, allowing us to read all new posts in X days, weeks, etc... Actually, this is my only real gripe with vB.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkham
                        Please tell me that vB3 will finally allow arbitrary New scans, i.e. in search, allowing us to read all new posts in X days, weeks, etc... Actually, this is my only real gripe with vB.
                        That's actually been an undocumented feature for a while. Tack &days=# on to the end of the getdaily link, obviously changing # to the number of days worth of new posts that you want to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                          That's actually been an undocumented feature for a while. Tack &days=# on to the end of the getdaily link, obviously changing # to the number of days worth of new posts that you want to look at.
                          Okay, so at worst the user won't be able to change it, but I could add options to the search template that would allow: Last 3 days, last 7 days, etc... but they'd be hardcoded.

Is that correct? If so, at least it's workable.

Thanks!

Now, is that why the View New Posts on Sitepoint only gave me the past day or so's new posts, just like vbulletin.com did earlier today?

I just went there after not being on for a couple days, and only got a piddly amount, just like here. I can't believe it's a default amount of days, because often I *do* get all new posts since I was last on, several days earlier.

Either I'm not getting something, or the function/implementation is screwed.

Comment

You could make a form that allows a user to input an arbitrary number for that variable no problem.

Keep in mind that getnew != getdaily. Getnew only happens when you're logged in and gets new posts based on exactly your last visit time as stored in the user table; getdaily is the default when you're not logged in and gets posts in the last 24 * <days value> hours (days defaults to 1).

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                              You could make a form that allows a user to input an arbitrary number for that variable no problem.

Keep in mind that getnew != getdaily. Getnew only happens when you're logged in and gets new posts based on exactly your last visit time as stored in the user table; getdaily is the default when you're not logged in and gets posts in the last 24 * <days value> hours (days defaults to 1).
                              I'm still a pre-owner, but that's the way I figured it works.

I still don't understand why, after loggin in after a couple of days, vB (here, and sitepoint), I only get a handful of messages rather than the whole bunch that are new since my last visit. This is when I click on the get-all-new link.

Ah well. I'll worry about it after I set my own up. Until then, I'll just miss a few messages here and there...

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X