Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please turn off the --- Updated --- function

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please turn off the --- Updated --- function

    Am I the only one that really hates the --- Updated --- function? Please vBulletin turn off this terrible feature.

    Cons to combining posts
    1) Makes reading posts difficult. Each post is often a completely different subject matter, by keeping the posts separate it makes it very clear that each reply is on a different subject.

    2) Makes replying to posts that have been combined difficult. If I quote a post that has been combined I now have to carefully edit the post to remove the part I don't want to reply to.

    3) Combining posts function really pisses off those who dislike this function. I think you will find some members will stop posting on vBulletin if this function is not turned off.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Am I the only one that really hates the --- Updated --- function? Please vBulletin turn off this terrible feature.

    Cons to combining posts
    1) Makes reading posts difficult. Each post is often a completely different subject matter, by keeping the posts separate it makes it very clear that each reply is on a different subject.

    2) Makes replying to posts that have been combined difficult. If I quote a post that has been combined I now have to carefully edit the post to remove the part I don't want to reply to.

    3) Combining posts function really pisses off those who dislike this function. I think you will find some members will stop posting on vBulletin if this function is not turned off.
    1. If it's in one Thread, where the Thread is the main subject, surely most posts should have similar subject matter.

    2. At the moment, do you ALWAYS quote the entirety of every message you quote?

    3. Something that people dislike annoys them? This one is true I spose.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ace View Post
      1. If it's in one Thread, where the Thread is the main subject, surely most posts should have similar subject matter.
      Threads always go off into several subject matters, it's the nature of conversation.

      Originally posted by Ace View Post
      2. At the moment, do you ALWAYS quote the entirety of every message you quote?
      Sometime you quote the entire post other times you don't.

      Originally posted by Ace View Post
      3. Something that people dislike annoys them? This one is true I spose.
      Very true I'm afraid. At some point a member says I give up and that can be a great loss to the community.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have to say I have *never* liked this idea. I tried it on my site once to open revolt. I guess it depends on the size of the site, but unless you have a REALLY high traffic site than the problems it's designed to combat are best dealt with manually, IMO. I support its inclusion in the product, I just don't personally like it.

        I can live with it but it does get irritating.

        At least on here it just says "updated"...on vbulletin.org it used to say "auto merged double post" which implies you made a mistake....
        Last edited by Mark.B; Mon 21 May '12, 12:01pm.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you for your support Mark. I sure hope others will chime in with their dislike of this feature.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Andy View Post
            I sure hope others will chime in with their dislike of this feature.
            I'll switch it off as soon as possible.


            vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

            Comment


            • #7
              I use the hack since a long time on my forums and people never complained about it. But if it is not needed there are settings to disable it?
              .......

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
                I use the hack since a long time on my forums and people never complained about it. But if it is not needed there are settings to disable it?
                Hopefully there is a settings for it and the staff will use it here to disable this function.

                - - - Updated - - -

                Is it off already???

                - - - Updated - - -

                No,it's not.


                vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't think it's on by default, I might be wrong but it's something you need to enable. I don't think it's on on my site, if it was I'd have to turn it off.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                  TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                    I'll switch it off as soon as possible.
                    You'd have to turn it on first.
                    Baby, I was born this way

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                      You'd have to turn it on first.
                      Great,thank you,Paul.


                      vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        While, I am not personally a fan of the feature myself, I don't think we'll turn it off. People visiting this site need to get a glimpse of the full functionality of the software. In the long run, it really isn't much different than the Multi-quote functionality.
                        Translations provided by Google.

                        Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I assume that later posts are posted below one and other so that you in essence still have the idea of separated posts. Maybe the Updated should read something else that its clear its auto merged.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                            While, I am not personally a fan of the feature myself, I don't think we'll turn it off. People visiting this site need to get a glimpse of the full functionality of the software.
                            Fair.


                            vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There really isn't a reason to have multiple posts if your post is the last in the thread either.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X