Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This site is still unbearably slow..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seems faster now that we're on 5.0.5.
    Former vBulletin user

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Glenn Vergara View Post
      The bottleneck on the New Topics seems to be on filtering unread posts. Setting unread_only to 0 seems to load the page much much faster.

      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search?searchJSON=%7B%22date%22%3A%22lastVisit%22%2C%22view%22%3A%22topic%22%2C%22unread_only%22%3A0%2C%22...
      Kind of defeats the purpose of the New Topics link altogether. Only topics that are unread should be considered New.
      Translations provided by Google.

      Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

        Kind of defeats the purpose of the New Topics link altogether. Only topics that are unread should be considered New.
        I know. I was just pointing out the possible bottleneck.

        But it seems the link is faster now in 5.0.5.

        GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

        Comment


        • Yes, it's much faster today
          Hopefully it'll stick this time and continue to be quick the rest of the week/month.
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

          Comment


          • Notable changes.............I will try it again tomorrow.


            Comment


            • When will 5.0.5 be released? General site slowness has been of major concern to my forum users...

              Comment


              • DemOnstar
                DemOnstar commented
                Editing a comment
                "Do you think this company has a calendar and/or supervisors who try and keep developers on schedule"?

                No!

              • mvucic
                mvucic commented
                Editing a comment
                "Do you think this company has a calendar and/or supervisors who try and keep developers on schedule"?

                Yes!

              • Mark.B
                Mark.B commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello mvucic

                Do you have a vBulletin license?

            • Originally posted by CygnusFTK View Post
              When will 5.0.5 be released? General site slowness has been of major concern to my forum users...
              Since the RC1 was installed at this live site, this is a strong indicator that vB 5.0.5 seems to be almost ready, don't you think? No one can tell you an exact release date, but it doesn't look like you have to wait for another couple of weeks.

              Comment


              • This is fascinating to me. I have worked in IT, Application Development from small, private sites to major headache sites... as a web developer since the 90s... and I have never heard of this before. One thing that has always been a constant push - everywhere - is scheduling and staying on track with meeting deadlines.

                I understand that you can't rush genius, but... most days I don't think that's what we are talking about here, really.

                Trying to be patient...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by CygnusFTK View Post
                  When will 5.0.5 be released?
                  When its ready .............








                  Seriosuly though, we are running it on vb.com over the weekend and will evaluate on Monday, all being well, it should be early next week.
                  Baby, I was born this way

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by CygnusFTK View Post
                    This is fascinating to me. I have worked in IT, Application Development from small, private sites to major headache sites... as a web developer since the 90s... and I have never heard of this before. One thing that has always been a constant push - everywhere - is scheduling and staying on track with meeting deadlines.

                    I understand that you can't rush genius, but... most days I don't think that's what we are talking about here, really.

                    Trying to be patient...
                    I'm viewing from the UK, I'm guessing the vBulletin.com server is US-based and I wouldn't describe the connection as "unbearably slow" anymore. I'd say it was now just about tolerable when I'm viewing from a PC or an ipad; not good, but better than it was. It usually loads in less time for me than 7 seconds unless something makes it fall over. Last time that happened to me it was an ad on the right hand side of the screen advertising vB5. I don't know what that was but I'm guessing it was "Son of Notices Manager". The Notices Manager occasionally caused problems in vB4, so we don't use it much.

                    Does anyone have any experience of how quickly it loads from a phone? How quick is that?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by lara_19800 View Post
                      I'm viewing from the UK, I'm guessing the vBulletin.com server is US-based and I wouldn't describe the connection as "unbearably slow" anymore. I'd say it was now just about tolerable when I'm viewing from a PC or an ipad; not good, but better than it was. It usually loads in less time for me than 7 seconds unless something makes it fall over. Last time that happened to me it was an ad on the right hand side of the screen advertising vB5. I don't know what that was but I'm guessing it was "Son of Notices Manager". The Notices Manager occasionally caused problems in vB4, so we don't use it much. Does anyone have any experience of how quickly it loads from a phone? How quick is that?
                      Do you have a vBulletin license?
                      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                      TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                      Comment


                      • DemOnstar
                        DemOnstar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sorry Mr B, but you left yourself wide open here...

                    • Does it load quicker if one has a license?


                      Comment


                      • feldon23
                        feldon23 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Epic.
                        .........

                      • durruti
                        durruti commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LMAO......

                    • Lot faster on 5.0.5.

                      Still can't upload an avatar, though. Hope that issue gets resolved soon.
                      Former vBulletin user

                      Comment


                      • How can so many people have so different experiences when visiting the same site? I mean, even if speed issues are server related, we all should experience those issues, right? Or wrong?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by lara_19800 View Post
                          How can so many people have so different experiences when visiting the same site? I mean, even if speed issues are server related, we all should experience those issues, right? Or wrong?
                          Everything is based on permissions and views. Each set of permissions builds a new view of the site. What I see is different than what you see. That is the nature of the beast. Every page is dynamic.

                          We try to improve the building of these views with Caching. Guest users are heavily cached for instance. We only build their pages once every 5 minutes. So in essence they are behind the times. On top of that with Guests we use a tool called Varnish which converts those Page views into HTML files. So they never actually use the software and are just being fed cached pages.

                          With registered users, it is more dynamic and things are updated quicker. Most caches are held for shorter times and then rebuilt.

                          Again with licensed customers, they see different things still. This is stored as well.

                          With the issue in this thread it is most likely related to the unread_only filter on searches. We can't cache this for groups. Each visitor is going to have their own list of unread threads that is then inserted into the cached page view.

                          Finally there is local storage. We try to take advantage of this for things like phrases, reused templates and other items you'll use on multiple pages. You can turn off Local Storage. So this will increase your viewing time. Same with caching the Javascript and CSS. If those are cached and not downloaded again, you'll have better speeds. If they are downloaded, they add latency. We try to defer a lot of this to the end of the page load so you can read before acting on the page. However with some systems this can cause the page to seemingly freeze while your viewing it as well.

                          In short, there are a lot of variables involved.
                          Translations provided by Google.

                          Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                          Comment

                          Related Topics

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X