This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 character limit on searchs

I can't search on specific SQL errors because SQL is under the 4 character limit. Any chance you can lower the search limit to 3 characters?
    Saint Stephen
    Sysop, http://www.nachos.net

i'll ask John or James for ya
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I think 3 is better as many abbreviations are 3 letters or less.... sql, php, msn, ie6, Win, vB, vBP, AIM....... But it does add loads to the search tables.

If a forum database is about 100mb, how much roughly would it grow by changing from 4 to 3 letters (and reindexing) as the minimum?
      Mike Warner
      MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

for my forum with 524,000 posts i have

min: 3
        max: 17

and 9.5 million records in search index occupying 225MB of database space out of a total 670MB for my vb database

when i changed i had 450,000 posts and my search index was the same size since i reduced the max limit accordingly

before

min: 4
        max: 19

after

min: 3
        max: 17

same size
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I agree. I have requested this in the past with no luck. I find it a pain when looking for alot of things.

Comment

Any luck with this yet?
            Saint Stephen

Comment

bump
              Saint Stephen

Comment

maybe if you're searching for a 3 letter word, then include the * around the word.... it would also get you some more results , as well as not having to shorten the minimum letters allowed

Comment

Any words under the minimum word length are not included in the search database, so adding a * would not help you find that word.

Comment

I agree. I get frustrated as well with 4 letters being the minimum.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by MUG
                      Any words under the minimum word length are not included in the search database, so adding a * would not help you find that word.
                      yes actually, it would. adding an * around the word [such as *PHP*] would find any word that contains PHP in it, even something like blahPHPblah

Comment

But what it wouldn't find is simply 'PHP' which is what the whole point of searching for it is

The word PHP is under the minimum length so is not included in the database at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS
                          But what it wouldn't find is simply 'PHP' which is what the whole point of searching for it is

The word PHP is under the minimum length so is not included in the database at all.
                          lol oh yea

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS

yea, but if you set the miniumum to 3 characters, then it would be included in the database

-Dimava
                            NXSupport Admin

Comment

Absolutely But the solution with the *s was talking about not shortening the limit from 4 to 3. I do agree that it should be shortened.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X