X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet justice...

Ok.
    Every now and then I see people coming up with posts like "Why should I pay for this software, when other people just steal it?" or "I regret paying for this, now that I see how little is done about piracy."

I'm sorry but; What the hell is up with that?
    Whether or not you commit computer piracy is a matter of your ethics and moral standards, not what anyone else does. If your principals change because "others get away with" the things you have decided against, then I'd have to say your principals seem to be a matter of convenience.
    If this is the case; you have decided to pay for the program not because you find it essentially wrong to commit piracy, but you find the risk of getting caught too high, or that it's too much hassle or whatever, then; IMHO you have no place making a fuss about other people pirating software in the first place.
    Or to make it clearer: If this is a rule you'd be willing to break if you thought you'd get away with it, then sniffing out and reporting on others who break it is a "holier-than-thou"-attitude that belongs nowhere at all.

Finally: I do not endorse computer piracy, or any other breach of the copyright law or other laws!
    This is not intended to belittle the gravity of pirating software, but rather to encourage people to think about where their principals actually come from.

-M
    I realize that "Site Feedback isn't really the place to have this discussion, so if this actually drags out, feel free to move my post to a new thread in the proper place.
    http://www.antenora.com/doggbanner.jpg

Comment

I turn in alot of suspected warez users as well. It does get frustrating not knowing the outcome of your reports, but I respect Jelsoft more for not letting this information out.

I will say that I received an email from Chris Sullivan personally a month ago, thanking me for all the piracy reports I sent in. It felt good to know someone noticed all of them I sent. (alot).

Comment

who's Chris Sullivan?
        You're my Prince of Peace
        And I will live my life for You

Comment

I think he meant Chris Schreiber... Or there was some freak genetic mnishap and two of our people were combined into one during a transporter accident.
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 18th Mar '02, 8:37am.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

lmao
            You're my Prince of Peace
            And I will live my life for You

Comment

Re: Piracy, do you even care??

Originally posted by zombie
              I've e-mailed Jelsoft on several occasions about illegal boards & warez sites offering VB for download, but they have yet to do anything about them or even reply back.

So e-mailing [email protected] doesn't help, so should I post them here to get a response?

I do not care what others think, I believe my oppinion about illegal software/hardware is mine. And I personally believe that it is just dumb & stupid & ugly & lame to run illegal soft/hard ware.

If I suspect a board running vB but without a license, or breaking the copyrights in any way or form, I will report them, as I have done on several occasions.

If vB decides not to reply on any of my mails, I can not help that. So far, I had the default E-mail with the notice that they received mine. Which is enough for me.

Comment

To tell you the truth I got a good feeling buying my legal copy. I have a sense of ownership. It was a stretch for me financially but I have no regrets. I’m sure If I had of looked long enough I would have been able to find a pirated version, but it wasn’t even part of my thought pattern.

I get great tech support from not only the staff but from all the friendly people that hang out on the board.

I'm a rookie at the forum business, having an easy board for about a week then I found out the real cost of an add free board lol (what a scam) then a little bravenet lol forum, then an ikonboard I was trying to make look like a vBulletin lol. That’s when I decided to go for the real thing.

Glad I did lol, It’s the best. Thanks to Joe at Asend I was up and running in no time.

Just my thoughts

Regards
                PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

I agree with you completely, jmd

Long before plunking down the cash to lease my board, I would wander in here from the control panels of the various other vBulletin boards I administrate. I was always surprised by the sincerity that the staff and regs displayed when assisting someone, and I still feel that way.

I'm always happy to pay for something that is worth the investment. The staff and regs of the vBulletin Community play a big part in why my purchase is worth the investment

Comment

it would make more sense to buy the software rather than use warez versions, especially when the price is as cheap as it is. you get all the support youll need when you buy it, plus access to hacks, importers and other stuff.

i know its hard for a kid to buy stuff on the internet (you either need a paypal account or a credit card), i mean how many kids have a credit card? it personally took me quite a while to convince my mum to start letting me use her card but now she lets me use it when i want to, of course i have to tell her and give her the money but thats fair enough. but $85 isnt a lot of money for the quality of software and support that you get, is it?

i can understand why there is warez versions of programs like 3d studio max, because, not many people are willing to pay $3000 just for one program and then if you scratch your disk, thats $3000 wasted.

I do NOT support warez, im merely just saying my point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn2
                      it would make more sense to buy the software rather than use warez versions, especially when the price is as cheap as it is. you get all the support youll need when you buy it, plus access to hacks, importers and other stuff.

i know its hard for a kid to buy stuff on the internet (you either need a paypal account or a credit card), i mean how many kids have a credit card? it personally took me quite a while to convince my mum to start letting me use her card but now she lets me use it when i want to, of course i have to tell her and give her the money but thats fair enough. but $85 isnt a lot of money for the quality of software and support that you get, is it?

i can understand why there is warez versions of programs like 3d studio max, because, not many people are willing to pay $3000 just for one program and then if you scratch your disk, thats $3000 wasted.

I do NOT support warez, im merely just saying my point of view.
                      And that is why they allow you in most countries to make one backup copy, so you can safely safe the original.

Comment

Jelsoft *do* take action against pirates. I got an email thismorning from NukePirates.com on behalf of Jelsoft querying the legality of the boards at a site i'm staff on.

Of course we do own licences I hadn't entered the url in the members area.

I was pleasently surprised to find that Jelsoft really do actively persue pirates and I said so in my response

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
                          I think he meant Chris Schreiber... Or there was some freak genetic mnishap and two of our people were combined into one during a transporter accident.
                          LMAO Can I say, "WHOOPS". Yeah I meant, Chris Schreiber.

Comment

well sometimes when running a small site, paying 85/160 for the board IS expensive, specially for us that cannot reach that quantity. just my opinion tho. i DO NOT support warez tho.

Comment

Yes, but if you can't afford the program then don't use it. It can't get any simpler than that.

Comment

well it is sometimes really dissapointing not being able to buy it and being reduced to other sucky boards, specially if youre not getting any profit from your beloved site.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X