Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reply To Thread Button - I keep clicking it to submit post

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reply To Thread Button - I keep clicking it to submit post

    Is it just me, or does anybody else find themselves when writing a post. That they by accident click the blue "Reply To Thread" button to try and submit it by mistake.

    I'm not complaining or anything about it. Just that I cannot get away from every now and then keep clicking that dam big blue button by accident. Maybe because it Blue, Bigger, and located handy right close to the post your writing right above it on the left-side.

    The the lower white ones you should use to submit your post, blend into the background a little too well really, and are not as obvious because of that. So maybe that's why I keep making this mistake time and time again.

    But this is the first time using any type of forum software, I've found myself keep repeating the same mistake.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 4th Jun '10, 3:16pm.

  • #2
    Never see the reply to thread button when replying because the quick editor covers it on my screen.
    Translations provided by Google.

    Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

    Comment


    • #3
      Take a look at your reply to see the button I mean

      Comment


      • #4
        I can see how that might happen. the eye is drawn to it.

        The solution is that the "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced" buttons should be CSS styles in the same colours as the "Reply To Thread" button. This is something that didn't even happen on vB3 by default, they the CSS class was there to do it.

        All my submit buttons are in the same colour as the "New reply/new thread" buttons but with a 3D effect to distinguish them from simple links.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

        Comment


        • #5
          I can see how that might happen. the eye is drawn to it.
          Yeah, that's what usually happens with me. You just kind of get drawn towards clicking it at times.

          Comment


          • #6
            Like moths to a flame.

            Of course if vB saved drafts of your posts...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
              Take a look at your reply to see the button I mean
              Click the reply button on the post you want to reply to. You'll see what I mean.
              Translations provided by Google.

              Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

              Comment


              • #8
                I see what you mean, if you do that it get removed. But because you don't need to click that and can just type straight into the Quick Reply box anyway, which is how I do it. No point clicking that button in a post unless I'm replying to a higher-up post (I'm thinking). That's why I always see it still there.

                Because usually I'm replying to the last post made, and just enter text straight into the text box without clicking anything. Until it needs to be submitted, And that's when I sometimes fall foul of it.

                Like I said, I'm not moaning about it. It's more funny than anything else that I keep doing it every now and then. I should know by now not to click it really, I've made enough post here using vB4.

                Maybe age is catching up?
                Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 5th Jun '10, 7:52am.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                  I see what you mean, if you do that it get removed. But because you don't need to click that and can just type straight into the Quick Reply box anyway, which is how I do it. No point clicking that button in a post unless I'm replying to a higher-up post (I'm thinking). That's why I always see it still there.

                  Because usually I'm replying to the last post made, and just enter text straight into the text box without clicking anything. Until it needs to be submitted, And that's when I sometimes fall foul of it.

                  Like I said, I'm not moaning about it. It's more funny than anything else that I keep doing it every now and then. I should know by now not to click it really, I've made enough post here using vB4.

                  Maybe age is catching up?
                  Multi-quote posts then click that button.

                  THAT, is handy.
                  Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Multi-quote posts then click that button. THAT, is handy.
                    I see what you mean
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 5th Jun '10, 7:22pm.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is a major problem with VB4 and needs to be addressed promptly. I have several users complaining of this new "reply" behavior.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm just posting a reply here to test something, because FF has been acting really odd now posting here. Let see if this happens again in this thread, because I just had to use IE8 to get my reply to post correctly. EDIT: You have a problem, I cannot QUOTE anything, and neither are paragraphs being created when using FF when I click the large Reply To Button - to post a reply in full edit mode.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                          I'm just posting a reply here to test something, because FF has been acting really odd now posting here. Let see if this happens again in this thread, because I just had to use IE8 to get my reply to post correctly. EDIT: You have a problem, I cannot QUOTE anything, and neither are paragraphs being created when using FF when I click the large Reply To Button - to post a reply in full edit mode.
                          I don't understand what you mean. I am not having any problems posting in Firefox 3.6.3.

                          Paragraph here.
                          Translations provided by Google.

                          Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've been testing this out after complaints.....

                            The reply to thread button is completely superfluous, as the quick reply box is already there. Clicking on it does nothing but update the screen, even when the quick reply box is already empty.

                            In other words, the button has ZERO functionality that I can tell, and only pisses off users when it deletes their post.

                            Remove it or fix it to post. If the quick reply box is empty, at least they'll get an error box.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wcguy View Post
                              I've been testing this out after complaints.....

                              The reply to thread button is completely superfluous, as the quick reply box is already there. Clicking on it does nothing but update the screen, even when the quick reply box is already empty.

                              In other words, the button has ZERO functionality that I can tell, and only pisses off users when it deletes their post.

                              Remove it or fix it to post. If the quick reply box is empty, at least they'll get an error box.
                              It could be changed so that it only appears when a user selects the Multi-Quote options - removing it would render that functionality dead.
                              Vote for:

                              - *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                              -
                              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                              - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                              - "Quick Route" Interface...
                              - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X