Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• socceronly
    replied
    The other possibility is that blogging is a much bigger market than forums, and if they are moving into that area as they seem to be then yes, Wordpress is their biggest competitor.

It isn't about forum software anymore, it's about CMS/Community/Social stuff of which forums are a part.

Drupal I think would be the one to look out for. I don't see a forum being bolted into WP anytime soon, but Drupal could improve the forum substantially and quickly if they chose to, but for some reason they just ignore it.

Leave a comment:

• LordWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by crud2009 View Post
    Why does this matter? You sir are a troll, from the IPS forums I might add, who is trying to add unneeded drama to the VB forums.
    I'm not a troll, you are. I brought up a rather valid point that some others agreed with, including vB customers. If you don't like valid criticism, then that doesn't mean it's trolling. Please go away troll.

Leave a comment:

• sportsfi
    replied
    The quick answer to this is that Adrian feels that is who IB's main competitor is and therefore answered the question that WordPress is their main competitor.

Leave a comment:

• crud2009
    replied
    Originally posted by LordWolf View Post
    Not to be a smart aleck or anything, but I thought your biggest competitor would have been IPS, since they are closer to the same market that you are in than WordPress. Just a little confused on why you picked to mention WP.
    Why does this matter? You sir are a troll, from the IPS forums I might add, who is trying to add unneeded drama to the VB forums.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by JamieinNH View Post
    Since the whole interview was talking about the beginning of vB back when James and John started it, I would guess that 50,000 is the total active licenses since the beginning.

Jamie
    This guess would be incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Cross-posting my comments here:

The impetus is on phparch for putting on a pointless interview with generic questions as if vBulletin were a hair salon or shopping company. None of the questions are specific to the product or even the forum product category. It's useless fluff. I know nothing more after reading the interview than when I started reading it. It's also very strange that phparch asked questions about who started the company, what the original goals were, and then ask nothing about how we got to the current state. These are clearly canned questions they ask of any company.

Also, if Wordpress is really vBulletin's true competition, then we're in deep kim-chi. The Blog is the weakest part of the vBulletin package and has gotten the least attention. Wordpress > vBulletin's blog in every way. When free software is kicking your butt... Anyway, if vBulletin really does not view IPS as their biggest competition, no wonder we're so far off track.

I don't hold vBulletin accountable for this interview, except maybe if they picked phparch to interview them. After seeing the questions, I would have rejected the interview altogether. Maybe vBFlames should interview vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• JamieinNH
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
    50K installs is that going back to the intial lounch of vB or since the launch of vB4 ?
    Since the whole interview was talking about the beginning of vB back when James and John started it, I would guess that 50,000 is the total active licenses since the beginning.

Jamie

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    50K installs is that going back to the intial lounch of vB or since the launch of vB4 ?

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ CIT
    replied
    If you do a search for "Powered by IP.Board" instead, it returns 480,000,000 results in Google UK. Oddly, if you do the same search at Google.com, it returned 73,000,000 results.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    I understand it's not that cut and dry on the stats I posted, I was just posting them as an example. I'm very much aware of all the different variables that come into play, like some you pointed out.

Leave a comment:

• LordWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    Here is something interesting too. Type in Google "powered by vBulletin", "powered by IPB", "powered byWordPress" and check the result numbers.

1st place: vBulletin = 191,000,000
    2nd place: WordPress = 143,000,000
    3rd place: IPB = 13,400,000

As you can see, IPB is way short of the mark.

WordPress has only been around for 7 years too. Unlike vBulletin and IPB. Yet it's blown away IPB already on stat numbers used, and is fast catching-up with vBulletin in those short 7 years. So I do think Adrian has a valid point to mention WordPress.
    How many of those results are pages from the same site? How many of those results are actual boards being run -vs- someone just copying the phrase? Also keep in mind that IPB has been around since 2002 (which is 8 years) and was wildly popular as a free product before it went paid. Not trying to push it on anyone, just that a Google search and a "only been around for 7 years" isn't much of an argument for or against anything in this case.

Originally posted by deuterium View Post
    snip
    For some odd reason, though, people who go with IPB are more likely to go the branding removal :/
    I see nothing wrong with purchasing the copyright removal. I'm sure that Skype and Neowin prefer to have their own look without having a "Powered by IPB" on there and if they were running vB, I have no doubt they would purchase that same removal option.

Yeah, not only that too. There is an option in IPB 3 to remove the "powered by version" from the footer with the flick of a switch. So that may hide many IPB forums from being picked-up by Google. Not 100% about that one though.
    That switch only removes the version information, not the entire "powered by" line.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon_R
    replied
    Why did they even make an "interviews" subforum if they aren't going to be totally honest in it?

Eveeryone knows IPB is vB's biggest competition anyways so no harm no foul.

Leave a comment:

• JamieinNH
    replied

Here is something interesting too. Type in Google "powered by vBulletin", "powered by IPB", "powered byWordPress" and check the result numbers.

1st place: vBulletin = 191,000,000
    2nd place: WordPress = 143,000,000
    3rd place: IPB = 13,400,000
    In the interview, Adrian said this:

How many downloads or installations of the project has happened from the day of the first release?
    There are currently over 50,000 active, registered installations of the product running on sites across the internet.
    With only 50,000 installs since the day of the first release, this number shows you that the above Google search is no way to match company against company. There is no good way to compare sites, too many variables.

The only thing we do know is what Adrian has told us that there are only 50,000 active, registered installs. With that as a starting point, I can't see how WP would be their biggest competitor. In the forum industry it would be IPB, PHPBB or SMF In the 'communities' industry it would be Facebook or MySpace.

Jamie

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    Yeah, not only that too. There is an option in IPB 3 to remove the "powered by version" from the footer with the flick of a switch. So that may hide many IPB forums from being picked-up by Google. Not 100% about that one though.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    [QUOTE=MRGTB;1986950]snip[QUOTE]

For some odd reason, though, people who go with IPB are more likely to go the branding removal :/

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X