No announcement yet.

Your search function does not work properly here at vbulletin.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayne... I do not understand the thinking behind the v4 search interface. 3.8 works just fine... it ain't broke... it's easy... AND most every person under the sun knows and understands how it works. It is pretty much a no brainer that it should not have been changed. Why create all the confusion, bugs and waste all of our time and yours with complaints, questions, issues and such? Hello? Just plain ole common sense that even this hillbilly from Alabama understands.
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums

Comment

Originally posted by ShackMaster View Post
      Wayne... I do not understand the thinking behind the v4 search interface. 3.8 works just fine... it ain't broke... it's easy... AND most every person under the sun knows and understands how it works. It is pretty much a no brainer that it should not have been changed. Why create all the confusion, bugs and waste all of our time and yours with complaints, questions, issues and such? Hello? Just plain ole common sense that even this hillbilly from Alabama understands.
      Because vBulletin 3 didn't have a search engine. It had 5 or 6 search engines. That is different search engines for blogs, posts, project tools, image comments, visitor messages, social groups, etc... That doesn't even consider articles and new content types that will be added in the future. People wanted to be able to search all content from one screen. You couldn't do that with vBulletin 3 nor did the search engine support it.

Even with that the search engine in vBulletin 3 causes problems for large sites (over 2 million posts) with table locking on the post tables. Predominantly when two people try to submit a post at the same time. Plus it had other issues. Not saying the new one is perfect yet but it does fit more user's needs, is expandable to handle new content types and can be completely replaced with something like Sphinx search for sites that need raw searching power.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        On the other hand, our intimate knowledge of the software actually prevents us from recreating many bugs that aren't defined by the person that is experiencing them. We subconsciously do things differently because we know how it is supposed to work. For instance, the search works just fine for me aside from the fact that the number of results is severely restricted on this site. I, however, know how to use it. I did point out to the designers that the tab highlighting was confusing because it is backwards compared to how the other tabs work in the system. Other than that we need more feedback to make it easier for you to know how to use the system as well.
        I agree with your point of view.

Thing is, I just don't have anything left in me at this time to do those sorts of things. If I reported into bug tracker I know that I would periodically keep checking that to make sure the issue was followed up on.

I really mean nothing negative at all, I'm just exhausted with the v4 issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          Because vBulletin 3 didn't have a search engine. It had 5 or 6 search engines. That is different search engines for blogs, posts, project tools, image comments, visitor messages, social groups, etc... That doesn't even consider articles and new content types that will be added in the future. People wanted to be able to search all content from one screen. You couldn't do that with vBulletin 3 nor did the search engine support it.

Even with that the search engine in vBulletin 3 causes problems for large sites (over 2 million posts) with table locking on the post tables. Predominantly when two people try to submit a post at the same time. Plus it had other issues. Not saying the new one is perfect yet but it does fit more user's needs, is expandable to handle new content types and can be completely replaced with something like Sphinx search for sites that need raw searching power.
          Wayne all of what you are making perfect sense but somehow it doesnt seem to work for me.... this new search method is very confusing for general users and generally gives me useless results. I personally prefer to use google site search on vb.com by using "keyword site:vbulletin.com/forum" and it gives me far superior search results than vb.coms search. However the best internal search I have seen on any vb forum is on vbulletin.org ... with the keyword field first, the forum/mods field second and the titles/all posts field third. vb.orgs search is so effective that it always manages to impress me ... sadly vb.com's search is exactly the opposite for me.
          Last edited by vijayninel; Mon 12th Apr '10, 9:29pm.
          www.erodov.com :cool:

Comment

Not trying to jump on the 'bandwagon' but +1 for the Search single content/multiple content tabs being hard to distinguish

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X