I like the changes to vB.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the changes to vB.com

I like the way you have the announcements for vB and feedback about vB much better now.

I'll assume at some point:
    "vBulletin Announcements and Discussions" will be renamed "vBulletin Announcements" because it is now one way communication and:
    "Announcements Discussions" will be either archived or somehow filed away so people like myself do not keep going in there.

I do have a question. It is my understanding that I need to make several changes from 3.7.3 to 3.8.x to my forums skin. It is also my understanding that I'm lazy - and because of all the awesome productive people at vB eventually they may be coming out with another version that would require yet another change to my forums skin to use.

Is there anywhere on vB.com that gives clue when that next major revision might be happening? Sort of a time line at the highest level for admin planning purposes?

The next version will come with a template diff feature that will try to update customized templates for you. So it's less work to upgrade and find broken (new) features.

When the next version is out, is being debated, but .. I'd ignore it all until you see the official announcement in the announcement forum.

Comment

Much appreciated, I will watch for the next release.
      Last edited by Abomination; Mon 25th May '09, 9:47pm.

Comment

On vB.com is the idea to have the latest release (3.8) and the next older release (3.7) non-archived, and to have for only the latest release (3.8):
        1. vBulletin 3.8 Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting -> vBulletin Quick Tips and Customizations
        2. vBulletin 3.8 Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting -> vBulletin Quick Tips and Customizations -> vBulletin Quick Tips Submissions
        3. vBulletin Impex Import System
        4. vBulletin Support Ticket System

Then when the next release comes out those items (1-4) only apply to the newer version and are removed from the older version (3.8)?

Comment

With every release the staff moves the forums around so they make the most sense. Quick tips and Impex for example, as well as the blog and pt make most sense to be fully supported with the latest stable release.

The current latest stable release, be it 3.1 or 5.9 or 4.0.1 .. is the one that gets the most, full support.

The older versions that are still supported are receiving legacy support. They guide the customer into the right direction to find the answer, but if upgrading is the answer, that will be suggested as the solution.

End Of Life versions, such as 3.0, 3.5, and 3.6, and probably soon 3.7, will have their forums merged together (where sensible) and/or archived where appropriate. They are no longer supported, and posting in those forums will probably result in recommendations to upgrade.

With version 4 as the latest stable (whenever that is planned), it is reasonable to assume that the branch for 3.x is therefor legacy support, and end of life versions are archived, and the current branches become legacy supported. The blog/pt (addons) and things like quick tips and impex will have to get moved/updated/duplicated/merged/whatever, to make sense in the new setup.

This is a task for the staff members, though open to suggestions as they always are, they discuss internally what the desirable setup is.

Comment

Thanks Floris.

As stated in the title of this thread the forum looks good. Previously I was so confused about where to post I did not and resorted to buying phone support because of that.

Or maybe there were no significant changes to vB.com and I'm learning the vB way of doing things after using vB almost a year.

In any event about the only suggestion I have has nothing to do with this vB.com website per se based on your reply, but rather if it is possible to somehow keep support versions for a some months after the next version is released that would be great. In case admins want to skip a major upgrade.

Example:
            3.8 current release/3.7 (non legacy)/3.6 Legacy *

* My suggestion is to offer support good (or at least ok) answers for 6 months after the first 3.8 gold release, as opposed to 'we are no longer supporting this version please upgrade'.

I'm fairly new to vB.com so if that is already being done please ignore the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              With every release the staff moves the forums around so they make the most sense.

This is a task for the staff members, though open to suggestions as they always are, they discuss internally what the desirable setup is.
              Maybe think about this structure?

Move all of the posts from the Jelsoft eBulletins & Press Releases into:
              vBulletin Announcements -> vBulletin Announcements? They are quite old and would be at the bottom of that forum which is read only to 'normal' members. It would seem less cluttered.

Then move all the posts from vBulletin Announcements -> Announcements Discussions to:
              vBulletin Sales -> vBulletin Suggestions and Feedback -> "Prior Feedback (closed)" with no description.

Then make the description for vBulletin Sales -> vBulletin Suggestions and Feedback the following?
              Forum for discussion about vB features and the Site Feedback forum for discussions about the vBulletin.com site.

Then all information from vB would be in the vBulletin Announcements
              and all information to vB would be in one place in the vBulletin Sales area.

The way it is now has 5 forums/links in the vBulletin Announcements category:

The way I'm suggesting:

Attached Files

Comment

And it seems img tags do not work on vB.com...

And because people do not click on links very often the last hour of my life has been for naught, cause the pictures won't be looked at... I even set up categories & forums to demonstrate on one of my vB forums.

I'm sure there is a reason images do not show up with img tags, but it would be nice if they worked.

Comment

I can see your images perfectly well, and img tags do work 'round here.

Perhaps you have img turned off in your UserCP?
                  UserCP -> Edit Options -> Visible Post Elements -> Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

Comment

Originally posted by cellarius View Post
                    I can see your images perfectly well, and img tags do work 'round here.

Perhaps you have img turned off in your UserCP?
                    UserCP -> Edit Options -> Visible Post Elements -> Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

My options were indeed set so img tags were not viewable. Thank you for pointing that out! I turned on avatars & sigs too.

I can now see Floris!

Comment

Originally posted by Abomination View Post
                      My options were indeed set so img tags were not viewable. Thank you for pointing that out! I turned on avatars & sigs too.

I can now see Floris!
                      Yeah, I had to change that, too. It seems that the standard settings for this forum are such, tho I don't understand why. After all, Avatars, sigs and img-codes are part of the package, why not enable them by default?

Comment

Originally posted by cellarius View Post
                        Yeah, I had to change that, too. It seems that the standard settings for this forum are such, tho I don't understand why. After all, Avatars, sigs and img-codes are part of the package, why not enable them by default?
                        I have most turned off here.
                        Lats...

Comment

Originally posted by abomination View Post
                          my options were indeed set so img tags were not viewable. Thank you for pointing that out! I turned on avatars & sigs too.

I can now see floris!
                          dun dun dun !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                            dun dun dun !!!!!

Does anyone have feedback on my idea? Good? Bad?

Comment