This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked threads: Way out of control

Do you like locking threads or something? Because whenever I see a thread that's locked, it always say the same reason:

To get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/membersupport_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You will also have to select the specific forums that you wish to have access at. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page. Once you've done this, please post in the appropriate support forum for your version.

If you are having an issue on a particular site powered by vBulletin, contact the administrator of that site for support.
    What if the person's making a suggestion? Why do you like locking threads with the same reason? What if they don't want to buy vBulletin, but want to make a thread to report a problem with vB but aren't licensed?

If they are making a suggestion than it should be worded as such and not as a support question. If its a suggestion for the software than it belongs here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Any other place is inappropriate and we will moderate it as we see fit.

We will not provide support for the software outside of the designated areas.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Well, most of the time, they are suggestions. Why not have a forum for users who don't plan or run vBulletin, but have found a problem in the software for unlicensed members? That's a lot easier than forcing people to buy vBulletin when they don't need it just to post in a forum.

Comment

Seems every thread turns into the same thing read elsewhere.
        Suggestions, comments turn to speculation.

I agree, it is way out of control. People's posts that is.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by speysider View Post
          Well, most of the time, they are suggestions. Why not have a forum for users who don't plan or run vBulletin, but have found a problem in the software for unlicensed members? That's a lot easier than forcing people to buy vBulletin when they don't need it just to post in a forum.
          If they have a problem with the software, they should inform the administrator of the software and we can provide support to our customers and not end users. With hundreds of millions of people using vBulletin powered sites around the world, we do not have the resources to provide end-user support. We can only support direct customers.

If they are not a customer and want to make a suggestion for a new or enhanced feature, they can do so in the Suggestions forum linked above.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Just on that I know I made a mistake last night when I helped a new member in the wrong place. However, maybe you guys should take this suggestion on board and only allow the new members to view the support and pre sales boards. Just so that they know where to ask the questions.
            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
            Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

I think you mean allow members who show-up as vBulletin registered customers not to view and post on the "Pre-Sales" board. That sounds like a fairly good idea really and makes sense.

I know I've posted replies in the past to new members asking about buying vBulletin there, but to be honest I guess it should be the staff answering them questions and not registered vBulletin members here from a vBulletin sales point of view. But then there would be a problem of none vBulletin registered users posting replies to them though, seeing as they would have access to do so.

Although I'm not sure if the permission settings in vBulletin could deal with that if setup correctly

Mmm, thinking about it further though. What if you have a vBulletin customer who is thinking about buying a second licence for a newer vBulletin version like vB4. And they have some questions to ask in the Pre sales. He would not have access to do it, so it wouldn't work.

------------------------

On the issue of locked threads. I've noticed also there seems to be a change of attitude now on locking threads much faster. I got the impression from the announcement though that this has been sent down through the ranks from IB to be a little stricter now.

Also, while in the past discussions were a bit freewheeling, we're going to renew our effort to keep discussions focused, in accord with our published posting guidelines. Polite discussion and constructive criticism will be welcome, but we are going to be better about moderating discussions to keep them on topic.
              Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 21st May '09, 8:26pm.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                I think you mean allow members who show-up as vBulletin registered customers not to view and post on the "Pre-Sales" board. That sounds like a fairly good idea really and makes sense.

I know I've posted replies in the past to new members asking about buying vBulletin there, but to be honest I guess it should be the staff answering them questions and not registered vBulletin members here from a vBulletin sales point of view. But then there would be a problem of none vBulletin registered users posting replies to them though, seeing as they would have access to do so.

Although I'm not sure if the permission settings in vBulletin could deal with that if setup correctly

Mmm, thinking about it further though. What if you have a vBulletin customer who is thinking about buying a second licence for a newer vBulletin version like vB4. And they have some questions to ask in the Pre sales. He would not have access to do it, so it wouldn't work.

------------------------

On the issue of locked threads. I've noticed also there seems to be a change of attitude now on locking threads much faster. I got the impression from the announcement though that this has been sent down through the ranks from IB to be a little stricter now.
                yeah that's exactly what I mean. Only have those who are members (those who are licensed) on the whole board.
                Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
                  yeah that's exactly what I mean. Only have those who are members (those who are licensed) on the whole board.
                  We are happy with the current forum permissions and will leave them as they are for now.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    We are happy with the current forum permissions and will leave them as they are for now.
                    So you are happy for spammers and all of the newbies to post anywhere on the board? Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.
                    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

How can spammers access the whole board? I only ever see them in 2 or 3 forums.

Andy why shouldn't newbies have access to all forums?
                      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                      -
                      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                      - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                      - "Quick Route" Interface...
                      - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Originally posted by Trevster View Post
                        How can spammers access the whole board? I only ever see them in 2 or 3 forums.

Andy why shouldn't newbies have access to all forums?
                        Agreed. A license holder is a license holder, regardless if for 1 day or 8 years. There should be no "Tiers" WRT forum access.

Comment

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
                          So you are happy for spammers and all of the newbies to post anywhere on the board? Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.
                          And another thing - how do you determine who's a newbie? Just because it's their first post doesn't mean to say they're new! I didn't post until I'd been using the software for a few months as I'd always found any answers I needed by using the Search facility (underused tool here IMO).

And when does someone no longer qualify as being new? Some people pick things up very quickly, others less so. You can't determine access to different based on "number of posts" or "time licence held" as it just can't work.

So, if you want to change the access that people have, what exactly do you propose and how would you manage that with the default vB software?
                          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                          -
                          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                          - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                          - "Quick Route" Interface...
                          - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

I am a customer but I've had pre-sale questions concerning new licenses and add-ons fww.
                            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevster View Post
                              And another thing - how do you determine who's a newbie? Just because it's their first post doesn't mean to say they're new! I didn't post until I'd been using the software for a few months as I'd always found any answers I needed by using the Search facility (underused tool here IMO).

And when does someone no longer qualify as being new? Some people pick things up very quickly, others less so. You can't determine access to different based on "number of posts" or "time licence held" as it just can't work.

So, if you want to change the access that people have, what exactly do you propose and how would you manage that with the default vB software?
                              Look at their post counts.

If it is their first post (post count = 1 ) we would know.

Also I reckon there should be a rank title for them telling us that they are unlicensed members for those that just use the forum to post on and don't have a license.

Also if the person just posts spam we know that they are only there to annoy us all.

All newbies that don't have a licence should only be able to see the Pre Sales and the suggestions board. You can change the permissions to do this. It would stop the newbies who aren't licensed from posting in the wrong areas.

Also changing the licensed members default colour to a different colour would be a great idea.
                              Many people colour code their mods admins and new users.
                              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X