This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you consider a Newbie Forum?

I'd love it if vbulletin.com had a Newbie Forum - a place where those of us new to vBulletin can go to ask all the elementary questions that we are embarrassed to ask in the 'grown-up' forums. I think this would make a lot of people feel much more comfortable in the first months of owning vB. It would also be a great resource -- all those questions that arise in the first month or so answered in one place. You could get answers to your own stupid questions; have the benefit of answers given to other peoples' dumb questions; and just browse around to see what you haven't even realized you should be asking.

I think it would be greatly welcomed by persons who have just purchased the software. I think it could also potentially save vB. team members a lot of time because they wouldn't have to answer so many of the same questions over and over again. (Sure, we can search for the answers, but a search is likely to return scores, if not hundreds, of mostly irrelevant results. A newbie forum would make it all so much easier.)

This idea is great, loads of forums, even my own, have a forum where new user's come and say hi.

Here's my example of what a welcome forum should be like:
    http://hw-private.sea-of-lost-souls....wforum.php?f=9

They don't have to be, that's how I designed it.

Comment

Speysider, I never thought of having a newcomer forum for my own site, but it's probably just what it needs.

For vB, of course, I meant not so much a place where we introduce ourselves as a place where we can ask ridiculously simple questions with embarrassingly obvious answers.

There are questions that I haven't asked (yet) because I just hate having to keep saying, "I know this is a stupid question but . . . " I would feel so much more comfortable, and could make much faster progress, if there were a place where I could (a) read the answers to other newbies' questions; and (b) ask newbie questions of my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
        Speysider, I never thought of having a newcomer forum for my own site, but it's probably just what it needs.
        Did I not? Well, I gave you some nice advice? Do you have a forum yourself?

For vB, of course, I meant not so much a place where we introduce ourselves as a place where we can ask ridiculously simple questions with embarrassingly obvious answers.
        We could have something like a forum named "Newcomer's Questions"
        Description: Just registered at the forums? Unsure about something? This is the place!

Comment

I am not sure that its a good idea to segregate new customers from older customers to get answers. Please feel free to post any question in the support forum for your version. We don't mind if it has been answered before, we will answer it again.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

In addition to that one of our challenges has been to manage an ever-growing number of forums. This will be even more of an issue when vB 4 comes along. Right now adding extraneous forums is really not in the cards.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

There is a search function.
              Even a newbie admin should search for similar questions first.
              Last edited by steven s; Thu 21st May '09, 3:55pm. Reason: search function, not such funcrion. :(
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
                There is a such function.
                Even a newbie admin should search for similar questions first.
                Darn, beaten to it...

You'd be surprised at how many answers appear in the 'Similar Threads' box near the foot of the page. Now if people looked at these also...
                Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                -
                *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                - "Quick Route" Interface...
                - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Well, you know, guys, there is a lot to learn at the outset.

I've addressed the often-futile use of the Search function.

As for the Similar questions feature -- I might have noticed it once or twice, but never found it useful; generally I don't even think of it.

So a Newbie forum would be extremely useful if only to point out these kinds of things that you take for granted, but are just part of a bewildering landscape for many others.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    I am not sure that its a good idea to segregate new customers from older customers to get answers. Please feel free to post any question in the support forum for your version. We don't mind if it has been answered before, we will answer it again.
                    I realize that's a consideration, Wayne.

But the fact is that one is often *not* comfortable asking apparently dumb questions among a group of highly sophisticated users.

When I first came to vB, before I even purchased, I asked a question in the Pre-Sales Forum to which I received quite a snotty answer, telling me my question had been covered over and over again previously. (It hadn't; to this day, it has almost never been touched on. What motivated someone to reply that way? I haven't the faintest idea. But it doesn't encourage new people to ask questions.)

Even here in a forum where you have explicitly asked for suggestions, and in which I have made an extremely polite and, many would say, entirely reasonable suggestion, I have received two replies that are pretty smart-alecky.

So it is a problem. Not, perhaps, one that the forum team feels can be addressed right now. But it certainly is a problem.

In any case, I appreciate your reply and understand your concerns.
                    Last edited by Baba Wawa; Thu 21st May '09, 2:58pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                      In addition to that one of our challenges has been to manage an ever-growing number of forums. This will be even more of an issue when vB 4 comes along. Right now adding extraneous forums is really not in the cards.
                      I was afraid that would be an issue, Steve.

It would be nice someday, though.

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

We have some ideas to improve information for new customers. However I don't think it will include a new forum. We would like to reduce the number of total forums and overhead associated with them.

We will post more information once we solidify our ideas.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          We have some ideas to improve information for new customers. * * *
                          Wayne, another thought that has occurred to me from time to time would be to have a Newbie section of the Tips forum.

Here's the problem, in my experience. After you purchase the software and install it, there are, say, 10-15 things that almost everyone will want to do. (Ballpark.) The problem is that a new person isn't thinking in the same 'categories' as the software developer or the manual. The new person is thinking in a very practical, layperson's way, e.g., "How can I remove the logo from my header?" or "How can I change the color of the category strips?"

A list of 20-30 such questions could be compiled. The answers would be very easy to provide. It would save new people so much time and wasted effort. And, as an important bonus, the new person would be learning all kinds of things about the ACP as he or she implemented those simple early steps.

I think it could reduce the learning curve by quite a bit. And it would not require the implementation of a new forum.

Comment

And just duplicate content that's already there?

Sorry but it's not that hard to search. Quick example, there were 8 (eight) different threads started regarding viruses on forums. How hard is it to do a search for the word 'virus'?

People need to start using the search feature more - not so that others don't have to stop by but how are they then supposed to support their own site users when they can't use the basic functionality themselves?

Sorry, but I'm with Steve and Wayne here, more forums are not needed...
                            Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                            -
                            *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                            - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                            - "Quick Route" Interface...
                            - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Originally posted by Trevster View Post

Sorry, but I'm with Steve and Wayne here, more forums are not needed...
                              That is not what Wayne and Steve said. Not by a long shot.

And, in any case, they were polite. They were gentlemen. Big difference there too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X