X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul M
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Because we decided to use the default settings for this aspect of the design. Surely as the administrator of a website, would respect that choice.
    Being an administrator does not prevent me having a view.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    Still dont quite understand why it cant be switched here - either setting is a vb default, not a modification.
    Because we decided to use the default settings for this aspect of the design. Surely as the administrator of a website, would respect that choice.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Each to their own I guess.
    What I have on my forum is the legacy version. Only because I like it that way.
    I don't seem to mind which way the new version goes once it is out. Afterall It's their forum so I am happy to be able to post on it.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Wait what, I heard my name? (looks around)

Leave a comment:

• David Grove
    replied
    Originally posted by Samir View Post
    True. But since most posts have a bit more meat to them in a true "discussion," the vertical postbit usually doesn't take up that much space. Unless, of course, there is some large avatar.

It would be interesting to see the results of any studies that were done on vertical space and usability of the two different types of postbits.
    For every post in this thread, except Floris #8, the text of the post would be shorter vertically than the left postbit with a normal sized avatar. Seems like a lot of wasted vertical space unless you have a particular attraction to scrolling.

Leave a comment:

• Samir
    replied
    Originally posted by sockwater View Post
    I agree, but there is an exception. When you post a one- or two-line response, there is like 4 inches of whitespace wasted underneath, because the left postbit takes up more vertical space.
    True. But since most posts have a bit more meat to them in a true "discussion," the vertical postbit usually doesn't take up that much space. Unless, of course, there is some large avatar.

It would be interesting to see the results of any studies that were done on vertical space and usability of the two different types of postbits.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Just thinking of an easier way for when it comes to upgrades. Have an option in Style Manager for that style rather than having to do template edits every time...

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Actually there is an easy workaround for this. Just create two styles and copy the contents of the postbit_legacy template in postbit on one style, and vice versa on the other.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    It's a pity that it can't be set per style so that you can give users the option of which way they want to read it...

Leave a comment:

• TomJames
    replied
    I've always had the impression that postbit (current) provides a good resting point for the eyes as they transistion down the page, and that it helps avoid distractions around the actual meat of the post.

Though I think both have ups and downs, so not really bothered either way.

Leave a comment:

• David Grove
    replied
    Originally posted by Samir View Post
    This is an interesting request. I've been doing some research for the re-design and re-launch of my site and I've noticed that the very valuable "vertical space" hasn't changed much in the last few years while "horizontal space" has increased due to widescreen monitors. If you want more forum discussion on a screen, legacy postbit seems the only way to go.
    I agree, but there is an exception. When you post a one- or two-line response, there is like 4 inches of whitespace wasted underneath, because the left postbit takes up more vertical space.

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    When they upgrade the site to version 4 end or after Quarter 2 of this year, it will have the legacy postbit again.
    Interesting. So vB4 is going to make the 'legacy' layout the default?

Leave a comment:

• Samir
    replied
    Originally posted by JCM View Post
    I suggest that the admins please change the Postbit to Postbit legacy please. It makes a big difference and I would like it that way a lot more and maybe others would too.
    This is an interesting request. I've been doing some research for the re-design and re-launch of my site and I've noticed that the very valuable "vertical space" hasn't changed much in the last few years while "horizontal space" has increased due to widescreen monitors. If you want more forum discussion on a screen, legacy postbit seems the only way to go.

I've even considered increasing the avatar size to a large vertical box so that signatures can be eliminated.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    quarter = 25 (%) out of 100.
    A year has 12 months.

12/4 = left with 3 months periods.

jan/feb/march
    april/may/june
    july/aug/sept
    oct/nov/dec

As per vbcom/vb4 site they plan to have vBulletin 4.0 released in beta form by the end of Q2 2009.

And here you can see a screenshot of the legacy postbit making a return.

Leave a comment:

• Yves Rigaud
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart View Post
    *off topic* When exactly is Quarter 2?
    April 1st - June 30th

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X