What's with the spam here recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with the spam here recently?

It's kinda annoying, especially how none of it adds anything to the conversations, and they've apparently reached the blogs as well. Can't vBulletin just, you know, use some of the neat spam prevention features the software has to stop this? Maybe like Akismet integration and question and answer verification?
    DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

I've already addressed this internally, and from experience reCAPTCHA is the best, and if the bots bypass it, reCAPTCHA service can update it and make it better. The Q+A will require a staff member from Jelsoft with admin access to the admincp/ to frequently update the q/a's because once the bots know it, it will flood the sites with more as the results are shared.

Akismet is already turned on, and capturing quite a bit.

Usually I am on during the day to find and remove the spam before the customers see it, these days that's up to the others when they work. So maybe that's why it's noticed more at certain times.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
      I've already addressed this internally, and from experience reCAPTCHA is the best, and if the bots bypass it, reCAPTCHA service can update it and make it better. The Q+A will require a staff member from Jelsoft with admin access to the admincp/ to frequently update the q/a's because once the bots know it, it will flood the sites with more as the results are shared.

Akismet is already turned on, and capturing quite a bit.

Usually I am on during the day to find and remove the spam before the customers see it, these days that's up to the others when they work. So maybe that's why it's noticed more at certain times.
      I'm kinda scared now, with Akismet being on and this just being the tiny amounts of the spam that gets through. Ouch.

I don't also think the question and answer system is too easy to beat, I personally use it with some darn well tough questions and I don't think I've had spam, or much for about four months or so at the moment. Maybe questions about the vBulletin product itself would help? Like something given away on the home page or the like, since spambots obviously head for easier and more generic targets first.
      DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

I've turned off Q+A on http://www.vBulletin-Fans.com/ because we got 99 spammers and 1 real user online. CONSTANTLY. And we rotated questions. More known sites simply are targeted more. I changed to reCAPTCHA and now it's only 50 out of 100 that spam the site (and yes, it's still pretty much crap) It removes my motivation and that of our mods that our daily task is removing spam while we rather post good content. We have users posting in public and private (just like your feedback) and even letting us know they're parting my sites because the new content is spam instead of 'content'.

I honestly have no respect for spammers and consider them malicious.

Comment

There are already human powered farms for bypassing captchas (and not just recaptcha). Q+A still can be effective if questions are related to board niche.
          http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif

Comment

My experience tells me otherwise. What's the difference between human reading Q+A vs reCAPTCHA ? ..

Comment

See edit + recaptcha and other captchas as common method is already implemeted to this farms, while Q+A is something new.

There are 2 types of attacker methods: 1) using external service to automaticly resolve images (what I mean before), wich theoreticlly can support Q+A method, but it will be more expensive. 2) using local application as interface for faster registration and posting while on all steps human is involved (its impossible to defend from this method, it is really the same from Q+A and reCAPTCHA prespective).

Comment

(i was told) that reCAPTCHA is not affected by xrumer, so there's no need to update the anti spam filters, and if so, than reCAPTCHA itself should update it.

Comment

Example of (1) farm, I dont want to advertisve it, not direct quote from their website:
                  Features:
                  - The price is fixed - $1 for 1000 downloaded CAPTCHA
                  - Quality Recognition - 90-95%.
                  - Supported CAPTCHA with 2 words
                  - We will automatically refund the money for CAPTCHA to unravel more than 60 seconds
                  - We will automatically refund the money for CAPTCHA with the wrong text
                  They are using students and peoples who barely knows english for mass resolving captchas = very cheap, in the case of niche related (or any) questions it will be much more expensive, it will be good protection from this type of attack. I am not sure how popular it is now, looks like it is something new in their "market", but better to be protected.
                  Last edited by lim (x-7x) = ∞; Sat 25th Apr '09, 5:36pm.

Comment

I implemented a modification on my board that denied registrations that were submit within a short time period. Ever since that, I've had no spam on my site unless it was an actual human. Something like this might come in handy as a default feature.

P.S. I reported around 4 spams, I think, today on this board...
                    No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

The reason was that I was out all this morning. Normally I'm here 7 days a week and catch most the spam before anyone sees it.

Even then we really don't get nearly the amount of spam you'd expect for such a large forum and obvious target.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmurrayhead View Post
                        I implemented a modification on my board that denied registrations that were submit within a short time period. Ever since that, I've had no spam on my site unless it was an actual human. Something like this might come in handy as a default feature.
                        Don't even dream about that...
                        It's a default function in phpBB3.
                        It has been suggested earlier to be used for vB as a default.
                        The answer was a BIG NO!

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X